Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Sennheiser HD 600 Open Dynamic Hi-Fi Professional Stereo Headphones (Black) - $367

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11923 posts
2789 upvotes
Ottawa
These are classic audiophile headphones. They scale well with better quality music and gear, need an amp to sound their best, and are generally regarded as a reference standard for many years and still are. They are perfect for a relaxing listen, they never sound harsh or exaggerate any aspect of the sound.

They are very traditional open headphones with almost no sub-bass. They start to fall off below 80Hz. The bass could be a bit tighter too as there is a bit of mid-bass emphasis to make up for their lack of sub-bass. For me, they sound fine with almost all music, but I do miss the sub-bass after listening to more "fun" headphones. For the most part, I wouldn't have known what sub-bass is missing, but when I listen to music with strong sub60-80Hz content on my home theater system which is flat to 20Hz, I can tell the 600 are holding back the bass.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2692 posts
486 upvotes
Markham
r1lee wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 2:40 pm
Get the massdrop hd6xx. Cheaper for the same headphones.
Massdrop HD6xx is not the same as HD600, but closer to the latest version of HD650. Not sure about match drivers. I do know that the latest few that I have seen of the HD600/650 have match dated drivers while 4 out of 6 have different dates on the HD6xx (match maybe).
The difference that I can see with the HD600 and HD650/6xx physically are the different size holes on the baffle plate which would change the sound. Also over time both baffle plate on the models has slight changes, more holes, smaller and larger in size. The latest units seem to share the same drivers now.

A good read - The Very Important Sennheiser HD 580, HD 600, and HD 650
Nov 23, 2017
531 posts
1103 upvotes
WL1980 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 1:53 pm
Also guys, even the massdrop HD6XX (which is closer to 650) will cost you $199 USD plus shipping and duty. The HD600 is only 250 USD after conversion. So for about the same price you get the original versuon, 2 day shipping, no duty surprise, and Amazon warranty.
My friend bought one a few days ago, his total was like $45 CAD for taxes/duties to Ontario, and like $15 USD shipping. All in his cost was under $350 CAD (he paid foreign currency fees).

That’s a crazy price considering I purchased my 650s for like $600+. 2018, what a time to be alive.
Dec 3, 2006
387 posts
210 upvotes
Craven
Soooooooo... what's the verdict?

Massdrop HD58x or HD600? Which has more accurate sound and would be better on an airplane?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3502 posts
1233 upvotes
Toronto
Imago wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:53 am

Massdrop HD58x or HD600? Which has more accurate sound and would be better on an airplane?
Don't bring open back headphones on an airplane. They leak sound and they don't isolate you from other noises.
Apr 30, 2009
444 posts
205 upvotes
GTA
Imago wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:53 am

Neither on a plane. These are all open headphones. I hear what you hear, and you will have them very loud to drown out plane noise, so I will be very annoyed at you.

You want Bose on a plane, cause noise cancelling there trumps all.

Keep the open back Sennheisers at home please. Seriously.
Jul 17, 2012
499 posts
185 upvotes
Kamloops
these you can get on canuckaudiomart regularly for 150ish. the hd6xx like the other guy said it's closer to hd650 and you can get it for 200 bucks like new. 400 bucks you have tons of options these days. audeze yeah sounds better than sennheiser for most people. 250 to 300 for EL8 and sine or isine is better.

i have the hd800 it's really so so compared to lcd3 and any other planar types. using 3000 bucks of amp/dac with all these. very little energy in regular coil magnetic headphones.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3433 posts
407 upvotes
The HD800 is definitely a little more painful to tame compared to most other high end headphones ... high priced gear doesn't necessarily make them sound good, the 8k peak needs to be tamed for most people.
What amp\dac are you using with?

Looking at the current pricing of high end headphones and seeing how silly the pricing is getting, the HD800 feels like the SHP9500s of high ends...

Cheers,
muscleking wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 4:02 am
these you can get on canuckaudiomart regularly for 150ish. the hd6xx like the other guy said it's closer to hd650 and you can get it for 200 bucks like new. 400 bucks you have tons of options these days. audeze yeah sounds better than sennheiser for most people. 250 to 300 for EL8 and sine or isine is better.

i have the hd800 it's really so so compared to lcd3 and any other planar types. using 3000 bucks of amp/dac with all these. very little energy in regular coil magnetic headphones.
Jul 17, 2012
499 posts
185 upvotes
Kamloops
Cress wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 12:15 pm
The HD800 is definitely a little more painful to tame compared to most other high end headphones ... high priced gear doesn't necessarily make them sound good, the 8k peak needs to be tamed for most people.
What amp\dac are you using with?

Looking at the current pricing of high end headphones and seeing how silly the pricing is getting, the HD800 feels like the SHP9500s of high ends...

Cheers,
i have a audio-gd reference 10.32 with combo384 usb chip upgraded by previous owner, set to NOS mode. it's heck a device. huge and heavy. also have 2 units of audeze deckard. after the audiogd i don't use deckard much. also have the topping nx4 dsd which is pretty detailed. i guess the "sterile" sound signature is not for me. i use the hd800 for movies. anything in tidal sounded better through lcd2 and 3, i have a few other headphones like sony ma900 and foxtex purpleheart.

i am reasonably serious on audio. the power cord is 400 bucks by harmonic technology and upgraded wall to furutech gtx ncf full set with the aluminum shield and carbon fiber cover. good upgrades. usb cable i just got a curious cable 0.8m. everything sounds great. but the thing about this hobby you always wondering if can be improved. this set up compare to my smsl m8 stack set up is much better so i sold that one. i will definitely continue buy and sell things to try other things. canuck audio mart is great place. hard to lose money buy and sell there. buy there sell on ebay is better way to not lose money.

speaker i am still running the kanto yaro2 i got for 150 or 200 bucks a few years ago from staples deal. that speaker sounded more clear after the wall duplex upgrade. i am pretty happy with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3433 posts
407 upvotes
That's some serious gear indeed - I see you ended up keeping the HD800s, that's a wise decision. I've been buying a selling for a while and got nightly disillusioned when I tried to get beyond the HD800 without spending too much extra - I found stuff that I thought was mostly different but nothing blatantly better for everything without getting into what's now considered summit going for 4~5K.... don't think I'll ever go there based on what I've heard from the HD800 and how small the difference is but you're right about always wondering if the next thing is going to sound better :) - - I like the Audeze sounds but have shied away from owning them due to some of the driver consistency issues but I'm told the warranty is amazing.

Good journey!

Cheers,
muscleking wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:36 pm
i have a audio-gd reference 10.32 with combo384 usb chip upgraded by previous owner, set to NOS mode. it's heck a device. huge and heavy. also have 2 units of audeze deckard. after the audiogd i don't use deckard much. also have the topping nx4 dsd which is pretty detailed. i guess the "sterile" sound signature is not for me. i use the hd800 for movies. anything in tidal sounded better through lcd2 and 3, i have a few other headphones like sony ma900 and foxtex purpleheart.

i am reasonably serious on audio. the power cord is 400 bucks by harmonic technology and upgraded wall to furutech gtx ncf full set with the aluminum shield and carbon fiber cover. good upgrades. usb cable i just got a curious cable 0.8m. everything sounds great. but the thing about this hobby you always wondering if can be improved. this set up compare to my smsl m8 stack set up is much better so i sold that one. i will definitely continue buy and sell things to try other things. canuck audio mart is great place. hard to lose money buy and sell there. buy there sell on ebay is better way to not lose money.

speaker i am still running the kanto yaro2 i got for 150 or 200 bucks a few years ago from staples deal. that speaker sounded more clear after the wall duplex upgrade. i am pretty happy with it.
Jul 17, 2012
499 posts
185 upvotes
Kamloops
Cress wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 4:18 pm
That's some serious gear indeed - I see you ended up keeping the HD800s, that's a wise decision. I've been buying a selling for a while and got nightly disillusioned when I tried to get beyond the HD800 without spending too much extra - I found stuff that I thought was mostly different but nothing blatantly better for everything without getting into what's now considered summit going for 4~5K.... don't think I'll ever go there based on what I've heard from the HD800 and how small the difference is but you're right about always wondering if the next thing is going to sound better :) - - I like the Audeze sounds but have shied away from owning them due to some of the driver consistency issues but I'm told the warranty is amazing.

Good journey!

Cheers,
not sure how long i will keep this hd800. it's not the s. the original one with low serial of 8000 something. the lcd 3 did break on me on side and i got a warranty replacement. so far so good. it come back sounding better. the lcd2 i got is the foam headband non fazor. i like it quite a lot. never any sibilance on any song. i have a stax 4170 as well and seriously the hd800 don't come close to the level of realism. i'll maybe burn it in a bit. it's used but don't think the previous owner used it much at all. you should give lcd3 a try. it's a very fun can. i got the hd800 for 900 bucks with a 300 bucks cable on top of the original cable. so can't lose money on that one. keep a bit longer see if sound changes.
Jan 27, 2011
252 posts
52 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 8:44 am
If you are considering this I would take a look at the Massdrop HD6xx. @$199 USD (plus shipping and like $45 tax) it’s arguably a better headphone at a better price.
What would the final cost end up being after fx, 13% tax, customs and shipping?
Nov 16, 2006
718 posts
201 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Amazon.ca Warehouse Deals still has some used HD650s with 20% off right now, making them around $300. No warranty but returnable if not happy.