Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Sennheiser HD1 Wireless ANC - $350 (PRIME ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 10:22 am
Aug 28, 2017
10 posts
20 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

[Amazon.ca] Sennheiser HD1 Wireless ANC - $350 (PRIME ONLY)

this is a rebrand of their momentum 2.0 wireless, compared to QC35 and SONY 1000x: better sound, better build (metal vs plastic), worse ANC
Last edited by PeggyC421038 on Jul 16th, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
28 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
2020 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
only for prime members..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
These are excellent headphones. Don't noise cancel as well as the Bose, but don't feel cheap and sound 100% better than the Bose.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
I have this. Got it for $399 back in December.

I have tried the WH-1000XM2 and the Bowers & Wilikins PX. My dad prefers the PX (so he owns it), neither of us prefer the 1000XM2, and I prefer the HD1.

My dad's replaced his bose with the PX, so I've also listened to them and continue to find bose lacks depth.

edit: typo for sony and reworded negative stance on bose
Last edited by Sypsy on Jul 16th, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 20, 2008
83 posts
17 upvotes
PeggyC421038 wrote: this is a rebrand of their momentum 2.0 wireless, compared to QC35 and SONY 1000x: better sound, better build (metal vs plastic), worse ANC
Sypsy wrote: I have this. Got it for $399 back in December.

I have tried the MDR-1000XM2 and the Bowers & Wilikins PX. My dad prefers the PX (so he owns it), neither of us prefer the 1000XM2, and I prefer the HD1.

We have tried the bose, but that's obviously junk, so that's that.
Are these a lot better than the 1000xm2, in terms of sound quality and comfort?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
eldeeb_hasan wrote: Are these a lot better than the 1000xm2, in terms of sound quality and comfort?
These are tricky because it's subjective. If you google any permutation of PX vs 1000XM2 vx HD1 you'll find people who prefer one over the others.

This was a little while ago, and I didn't take any notes, so I apologize for being vague about my sound impressions.

The 1000XM2 is more comfortable and seals better. Maybe it's just my headshape, but if I turn my head with the HD1, the earcup lifts slightly and it lets in some noise which is slightly distracting. Some reviews have said they found the HD1 band makes a whistling sound outdoors in the wind, but I haven't had it happen for me yet (also not outdoors all the time with it)

Sound wise, I found the 1000XM2 to have a veil (which is funny because that's a word usually used for sennheisers). Initially the 1000XM2 sound great, but after listening for a while, my ears hurt. These are all bluetooth, so I can't expect the same quality as my HD598 or anything, but the HD1 just sounds more clear over bluetooth with adequate ANC to cut noise to an appropriate level. (I don't need dead quite, I would find that too dangerous)

One thing I like about the HD1 is that it sounds even better with the cable (little noticeable jump with the PX/1000XM2 for me. This gives me flexibility because I can go from ANC/wireless to higher quality w/ cable depending on what I'm doing.

Look wise, I think the 1000XM2 is the most bland of the three and won't turn heads. For a $300+ headphone, it doesn't look much different from a hear.on or one of their lower line bluetooth headphones.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
At this price, it's a silly good deal, buy if sound quality is your primary goal. If you're looking for the best noise cancellation, this one is nowhere near the Bose QC35 or the Sony 1000X...

Edit: Clarified
Last edited by Cress on Jul 16th, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Sypsy wrote: Maybe it's just my headshape, but if I turn my head with the HD1, the earcup lifts slightly and it lets in some noise which is slightly distracting. Some reviews have said they found the HD1 band makes a whistling sound outdoors in the wind, but I haven't had it happen for me yet (also not outdoors all the time with it)
I haven't noticed either of those issues and I've had a pair of Momentum Wireless(same headphones pre-name change) for 2 years now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Cress wrote: At this price, it's a silly deal, buy if sound quality is your primary goal. If you're looking for the best noise cancellation, this one is nowhere near the Bose QC35 or the Sony 1000X...
Not everyone's top priority is premium ANC though. For me it was a nice throw in when I bought mine but the QC35 sounded terrible to me (Sony hadn't released the 1000x at the time so I didn't test them).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Jep4444 wrote: Not everyone's top priority is premium ANC though. For me it was a nice throw in when I bought mine but the QC35 sounded terrible to me (Sony hadn't released the 1000x at the time so I didn't test them).
Yeah I don't get how people think the Bose sound good. I was going to buy a pair... until I listened to them. NC was fantastic, but they felt cheap and sounded cheap.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
Konowl wrote: Yeah I don't get how people think the Bose sound good. I was going to buy a pair... until I listened to them. NC was fantastic, but they felt cheap and sounded cheap.
Remember, people are coming from stock ear buds or cheap $20 headphones from winners. Of course Bose/Beats/Monster will sound better to them.

Sure they can hit all the highs/lows, but they do a poor job of actually doing it well. But to someone who's never really heard the highs/lows, it's magical to them.

It's like, 720p will look great to someone who has always watched content in 480p, but we're on 1080p here. (4k these headphones are not)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Sypsy wrote: Remember, people are coming from stock ear buds or cheap $20 headphones from winners. Of course Bose/Beats/Monster will sound better to them.

Sure they can hit all the highs/lows, but they do a poor job of actually making it enjoyable. But to someone who's never really heard the highs/lows, it's magical to them.
Yeah true that's a valid point never really thought of it that way. I literally had every intention of buying the Bose for plane trips, but they just felt so cheap and sounded so bad. NC on the Momentums is good enough to drown out the plane (and my coworkers).
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
I meant silly in a good way as in buy right now :).

Cheers,
Jep4444 wrote: Not everyone's top priority is premium ANC though. For me it was a nice throw in when I bought mine but the QC35 sounded terrible to me (Sony hadn't released the 1000x at the time so I didn't test them).
Oct 4, 2015
484 posts
618 upvotes
Mississauga
Not an all time low, they reached $299 in late 2017.
Bezos' Banana Boy. A banana a day, keeps me from throwing my laptop away.
Corporate Food Vulture, if you know, you know.

Public Mobile 4GB/$40 -> Koodo (6GB+2GB)/$40 -> Telus 30GB/$35 -> Rogers 75GB US/CAN/$40 -> Rogers 130GB US/CAN $28.66
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
kay103kay wrote: Not an all time low, they reached $299 in late 2017.
Uhh, if that was the case, I'd have bought it then. I've been watching this since Dec 2016.

Also, checking C3 told me it's never been $299, let alone in late 2017.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2003
1232 posts
617 upvotes
GTA
Sypsy wrote: Uhh, if that was the case, I'd have bought it then. I've been watching this since Dec 2016.

Also, checking C3 told me it's never been $299, let alone in late 2017.
Looks like it was in last years black friday sale.. so the waiting continues..

EDIT: Nevermind.. it was the on-ear version.. booooo

amazon-ca-sennheiser-hd1-ear-wireless-h ... 5-2148379/
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
Ah, on-ear. mystery solved

I would never consider on ears, personally. Too uncomfortable after a while.
Dec 25, 2017
502 posts
1147 upvotes
whats the best mid range 300ish dollar headphones with no ANC gimmicks?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2074 posts
1599 upvotes
Vancouver
nUseBro wrote: whats the best mid range 300ish dollar headphones with no ANC gimmicks?
Does it have to be bluetooth? Or will you use a cable?
Main goal is sound quality?
Will you use it outside (closed) or for indoors mainly where an open back is okay? (Open headphones sound better, imo)
Will you use your phone to run this, or would you use this at a computer and would buy a dac/amp for it?

If you really want to see your options, check out r/headphones guide: https://sites.google.com/view/headphoneadvice/home

My personal votes go to two headphones I own

Pricey & versatile: $350. The HD1 with the cable if you want closed and want it a bit bassy. The ANC turns off and the sound quality is superb. Looks great too. At $350, you basically pay $30 more than the wired version: https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD1-Ov ... ref=sr_1_3
The headphones are not so demanding that it requires anything additional to run, so off a laptop or phone, they're pretty good. Again, bluetooth adds flexibility for when don't want a wire in the way, or want to cut some background noise with ANC.

Sennheiser 598 C (Closed verison): $159 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01JP436TS/ref=emc_b_5_t
No dac/amp required (but always recommended) to make them work well. I haven't tried them, but I have the open version below. Balanced sound and a great price.

Sennheiser HD598 SR (Open version): $179 https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-598 ... d_sbs_23_1
Open version of the above, which means it has a better soundstage, but it lets sound in/out, which may or may not be a good thing.

But with a budget of $300-400, I'd say there are a lot of options out there. If you don't care to jump into that rabbit hole, the above 3 should be safe. but if you like really bassy stuff it may not suit you. I'm also assuming you don't want to buy an amp/dac either.