Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Amazon.ca -Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon - $449

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2014 1:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake

Amazon.ca -Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon - $449

Deal Link:
Price:
Great Ultra wide angle lens. I also believe it comes with a 7 year warranty as opposed to 1 Year from Canon. This was told to me by Henry's Camera last week.
Lowest price I have seen. Amazon.com sells it for 399.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00280/ ... price.html

In Stock.
Sold by 47th Street Photo (Canada) and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Tuesday, December 23? Order it in the next 12 hours and 35 minutes and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
18 new from CDN$ 449.00

10-20mm ultra-wide angle lens designed exclusively for Canon digital SLR cameras^3 special low dispersion (SLD) glass elements to compensate for color aberration^Hyper-Sonic Motor (HSM) produces silent, high-speed autofocus; full-time manual focus^Multilayer lens coating reduces flare and ghost; 9.4-inch close focusing distance^Measures 3.3 inches in diameter and 3.2 inches long; weighs 16.4 ounces

Product Description
Product Description
10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens allows enjoyment of super wide-angle photography and it is a very powerful tool for indoor shooting and landscape photography with APS-C size image sensors of digital SLR cameras. Wide angle of view (102.4 degrees at 10mm and 63.8 degrees at 20mm) offers the photographer greater freedom of expression. Three SLD glass elements are employed for effective compensation of color aberration, which is a common problem with super-wide angle lenses. One piece of glass mold and two hybrid aspherical lenses, offer excellent correction for distortion, as well as all types of aberration. This lens is equipped with an inner focusing system, and the models which are equipped with HSM system provide quiet, high speed autofocus shooting and also offer full time manual focusing. It has a minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4) at all focal lengths. The non-rotating lens barrel perfectly suits the petal shaped lens hood. A circular polarizing filter can also be used conveniently. Features: It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4 degrees to 63.8 degrees (SD format) Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance. Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations. Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system Minimum focusing distance of 24cm (9.4") at all focal lengths. Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zo...
From the Manufacturer

The 10 to 20 millimeters f4 to 5.6 EX DC HSM lens allows enjoyment of super wide-angle photography and it is a very powerful tool for indoor shooting and landscape photography with APS-C size image sensors of digital SLR cameras.

Wide angle of view (102.4 degrees at 10 millimeters and 63.8 degrees at 20 millimeters) offers the photographer greater freedom of expression.

Three SLD glass elements are employed for effective compensation of color aberration, which is a common problem with super-wide angle lenses. One piece of glass mold and two hybrid aspherical lenses, offer excellent correction for distortion, as well as all types of aberration.

This lens is equipped with an inner focusing system, and the models which are equipped with HSM system provide quiet, high speed autofocus shooting and also offer full time manual focusing. It has a minimum focusing distance of 24 centimeters (9.4 inches) at all focal lengths. The non-rotating lens barrel perfectly suits the petal shaped lens hood. A circular polarizing filter can also be used conveniently.
It covers a superwide angle of view 102.4 to 63.8 degrees
Three pieces of Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements and three aspherical lens elements produce top quality optical performance.
Inner focusing system ensures the length of the lens remains unchanged whilst controlling aberrations.
Equipped with HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) system
Minimum focusing distance of 24 centimeters (9.4 inches) at all focal lengths
Relatively compact, lightweight for an ultra wide-angle zoom lens

Note to customers: Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras.
19 replies
Nov 28, 2010
979 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Who still wants to carry DSLR setup these days?
With all the mirrorless alternatives available on the market, popularity of this gear will start dying slowly.
IMHO.
Mar 2, 2005
977 posts
553 upvotes
yp_1 wrote: Who still wants to carry DSLR setup these days?
With all the mirrorless alternatives available on the market, popularity of this gear will start dying slowly.
IMHO.
I think you have it backwards

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/648664 ... es-decline

"Industry body CIPA's figures for cameras shipped during the period confirm the declines - with a 6% fall in DSLR and 22% fall in mirrorless sales volumes over the period. Mirrorless models accounted for 23% of shipments by volume and 18% by value."
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
yp_1 wrote: Who still wants to carry DSLR setup these days?
IMHO.
speed and iq .. sorry but even your best mirrorless with fastest 50mm will never beat a full frame on a similar spec 50mm.

my everyday camera is a 5d mark2 with canon usm 50mm 1.4.

the real question is... with great smartphone cameras out there, who wants a lousy point and shoot or mirrorless?? by the time you break out that camera, get it turned on and focused, my note4 has probably popped off 9 or 10 shots while you're fumbling with buttons. hell even my 5d turns on in less than 1 sec just with the press of the shutter button.
Dec 17, 2014
281 posts
61 upvotes
Eastern Canada
Mirrorless will overtake the high end point and shoot/low end DSLR market. The in the "prosumer" and professional market DSLR will always be king.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Guys, I posted this for the deal. Is this worth it? Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: Guys, I posted this for the deal. Is this worth it? Thoughts?
Well, I own the Nikon mount version used...

In general, I wouldn't recommend this lens all together since the images come out to be quite... blurry and mushed up? I think the optics just aren't that great for this lens (definitely worse than the kit lens, I found).

I'm not sure if there are alternatives to this lens which is around the same price range... but the overall experience with this lens is a "meh" at best for me! :)

Since the optics aren't that great, you will be able to find lots of used versions available on the market for a better price. My recommendation is to get a pre-owned version instead of a new one.
Feb 24, 2008
345 posts
212 upvotes
Ottawa
jimmy-j wrote: speed and iq .. sorry but even your best mirrorless with fastest 50mm will never beat a full frame on a similar spec 50mm.

my everyday camera is a 5d mark2 with canon usm 50mm 1.4.

the real question is... with great smartphone cameras out there, who wants a lousy point and shoot or mirrorless?? by the time you break out that camera, get it turned on and focused, my note4 has probably popped off 9 or 10 shots while you're fumbling with buttons. hell even my 5d turns on in less than 1 sec just with the press of the shutter button.

I agree with you.
I am using a mirrorless camera, which is not bad for normal use.
I am planning to upgrade to 5d2 or 6d.
They are not at the same level for sure.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7649 upvotes
Kanata
slimysnot wrote: Well, I own the Nikon mount version used...

In general, I wouldn't recommend this lens all together since the images come out to be quite... blurry and mushed up? I think the optics just aren't that great for this lens (definitely worse than the kit lens, I found).

I'm not sure if there are alternatives to this lens which is around the same price range... but the overall experience with this lens is a "meh" at best for me! :)

Since the optics aren't that great, you will be able to find lots of used versions available on the market for a better price. My recommendation is to get a pre-owned version instead of a new one.
Perhaps you need to send your's in for calibration. I've owned one since 2008 and it produces some great pictures. I've used with with Nikon D70s, D200, D40, D3200, D5100, and all the pictures have come out very sharp, in various situations. I've loaned it out to many friends and they have been very impressed with the results on their camera's as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: Guys, I posted this for the deal. Is this worth it? Thoughts?
This is a decent lens, has been my UWA workhorse for a number of years. The poster here who complaints it is worse than a kit lens probably got a bad copy. I got mine used, it is plenty sharp. From what I've seen it is only slightly behing the Canon's more expensive 10-22mm. Be the judge - here are a few of my own shots made with this lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/syamastro ... 362193195/

But if I had to buy an UWA today, I'd go with the newer and cheaper Canon's 10-18mm - apparently as sharp as the rivals, but perhaps not as good with flare.

OP: your link is for the store " 47th Street Photo (Canada)". I'd expect it doesn't come with the famous 7-10 years Canadian Sigma warranty, so I'd stay away. You can get it in Canada for only 10$ more at a few locations:

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00280/ ... price.html

Canon 10-18mm can be found for only 339$ in Canada:

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05440/ ... price.html
Aug 26, 2010
291 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
I had this lens for a Nikon mount. It was my favourite lens as I did a lot of land and seascapes. In terms of IQ and sharpness, it's awesome.

As for Mirrorless vs DSLR = I tried the Mirrorless world. Got a fancy M4/3 camera with all the nice lenses for it (PL 25, Oly 85 1.8, etc) and while the image quality was good, I was never happy with the noise levels at base ISO. That I could live with as I don't pixel peep, but what killed it for me was battery life. The always on EVF and rear LCD eats up batteries like crazy. I could go for weeks without charging my DSLR and leaving it on and ready for shooting, but with the M4/3, I've missed opportunities while turning it on and waiting for the camera to power up. 2-3 seconds as it may, in photography, once you miss a shot you miss it forever. So I dumped all my M4/3 stuff on eBay and bought a Nikon FX camera and starting over again. Absolutely no regrets here.
Feb 1, 2004
944 posts
191 upvotes
Markham
pulsar123 wrote: This is a decent lens, has been my UWA workhorse for a number of years. The poster here who complaints it is worse than a kit lens probably got a bad copy. I got mine used, it is plenty sharp. From what I've seen it is only slightly behing the Canon's more expensive 10-22mm. Be the judge - here are a few of my own shots made with this lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/syamastro ... 362193195/
Dude, those are awesome pictures that you took but that little girl just freaks me out. How did you managed to get her to levitate in the 1st pic?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3440 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
bb_00 wrote: Dude, those are awesome pictures that you took but that little girl just freaks me out. How did you managed to get her to levitate in the 1st pic?
photoshop... you take three pics. one without the girl and chair, one with just the chair and one with the girl on the chair. then use photoshop to remove the chair (from the pic with both chair and girl)... forgot how I did it, but you can google "photoshop levitation"
Jan 8, 2013
123 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
MasterAvatar wrote: How does this compare to the Canon 10-18mm?
Just want to point out that the Canon 10-18mm is a EF-S lens and looks like the Sigma here comes with a EF mount.
I have the 10-18mm but haven't used it enough to say much other than the price is definitely a strong plus, if you are using a crop body.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
MasterAvatar wrote: How does this compare to the Canon 10-18mm?
bb_00 wrote: Anyone else have any experience and comments between this and the Canon 10-18mm?
No direct experience, but have read a lot of reviews about it. It appears that the build quality is better on the sigma, but better optics on the canon. Vignetting and stars are worse on the canon as well, but CA is worse on the sigma.

In my opinion the bang-for-your-buck is considerably better on the canon, but you may need to baby it a bit.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
khulit wrote: photoshop... you take three pics. one without the girl and chair, one with just the chair and one with the girl on the chair. then use photoshop to remove the chair (from the pic with both chair and girl)... forgot how I did it, but you can google "photoshop levitation"
The way I did did it was actually much more realistic than that, only two shots, and she was actually floating (well, jumping):

[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/919 ... 0911_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3683/919 ... 1b48_n.jpg[/IMG]

This is significantly more difficult to stage, but much more realistic (her legs are actually flying, and the shadow is real), and requires much less photoshopping.

You don't have to google to do projects like that - just use your imagination!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)