41 upvotes
Got one for a laptop that i'm going to sell
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4091 posts
1147 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Isn't this regular price for 128GB?

And why is 120GB $34.99 although says $24.01 off from list price!!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4091 posts
1147 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
govas19 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 6:49 pm
The Kingston A400 is 29.99, for $2 more it seems a better quality drive.
Good find... wish non Prime members could get at that price as well.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11176 posts
1115 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The Silicon Power 240GB is $45. With prices the way they are now, I'm inclined to skip 120 and go with 240.

Regarding the YouTube video, he's talking about the SP S55, and the one this thread is talking about is A58.

Macrium works. Clonezilla works. Clonezilla's GUI is like DOS. But Clonezilla had a bootable ISO you can download, whereas I don't think Macrium free has that.
Jun 25, 2017
108 posts
100 upvotes
Great price but id get the samsung evo only becuase of the painless free software it offers to clone.
Jan 16, 2019
5 posts
I installed this on my 2009 13" Macbook Pro and it has made a huge difference.
Jun 29, 2016
136 posts
47 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:22 pm
Good find... wish non Prime members could get at that price as well.
It wasn't prime only when I posted the link.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13513 posts
3778 upvotes
Montreal
Fightguard wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:49 pm
I bought 7 120gb SSDs about 3 years ago at the Source, Gigastone brand posted here. Used in 5 machines. 2 htpc, and 3 non-critical laptops. Of the 7, 2 have already failed.
So, I will have another 2 as backups again. I don't mind cheap 2nd or 3rd tier brands. Though I would never use them in our main main systems that that we do our primary work on.
Exactly, if used in non-critical systems that you are prepared to lose data on, then rolling the dice just might pay off.

Then again, I also buy cheap drives but keep a close eye on the controller, size and NAND type, and have yet to have a single failure. Then again, I never bought a 120-128GB TLC drive, which are basically all ticking time bombs.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1832 posts
145 upvotes
Central Ontario
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 8:44 pm
I seriously got dumber just watching this clip.
Isn't that YouTube in a nutshell? :)

Moral of the story for any SSD: make regular backups. Anything can fail at any time. If you're willing to risk the inconvenience of this drive failing prematurely for the sake of saving a few dollars, keep backups. Automate them. Make sure they happen every day/hour/whatever or use them for data you don't care about.

I personally wouldn't use an ultra cheap drive as a boot drive for the sake of inconvenience when it does fail... others might be willing to take the risk.

I've used Macrium and Clonezilla... most recently, Macrium did a great job for me cloning a 1TB conventional disk onto a 512GB WD Black.
Last edited by JustMike on Jan 17th, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13513 posts
3778 upvotes
Montreal
JustMike wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:03 am
I personally wouldn't use an ultra cheap drive as a boot drive for the sake of inconvenience when it does fail... others might be willing to take the risk.
It really comes down to size and NAND. As I've said before, a cheap 480GB TLC drive with a Phison S10 will last a very long time with high performance, while a 120GB from the exact same line (with a cheaped-down 2-channel controller) will be a ticking time bomb with low performance.

That's what SP did with the S55 line, anything below 480GB was junk, and with SSDs in general, if you want to go cheap, then go BIG to spread the wear out and get the best SSD controller.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
Jan 23, 2013
20 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Tempted but two red flags:

- no performance specs listed
- can't find it on the SP web site. They have A56 but no A58

Anyone here run Crystal Disk Mark on one of these?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2830 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:59 am
Exactly, if used in non-critical systems that you are prepared to lose data on, then rolling the dice just might pay off.

Then again, I also buy cheap drives but keep a close eye on the controller, size and NAND type, and have yet to have a single failure. Then again, I never bought a 120-128GB TLC drive, which are basically all ticking time bombs.
My Gigastone 120 drives are Intel MLC.
The first one died in 6-7 months (I didn't bother with warranty). The second died a few months ago, about 2.5 years.
All 5 sytems I put them in are used almost daily (my kids and my parents), as internet stations and media consumption.

Also, on the topic of cloning software. I use Easeus Partition Master Free Edition
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
Nov 17, 2013
714 posts
112 upvotes
WINNIPEG
i'm paranoid now. how do you all monitor your ssds for health? crystal disk info? what are some key things to look for that might indicate an ssd is failing? how do you find out what controller your ssd uses and whether it is good or not.
JackWhyte wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:09 am
It really comes down to size and NAND. As I've said before, a cheap 480GB TLC drive with a Phison S10 will last a very long time with high performance, while a 120GB from the exact same line (with a cheaped-down 2-channel controller) will be a ticking time bomb with low performance.

That's what SP did with the S55 line, anything below 480GB was junk, and with SSDs in general, if you want to go cheap, then go BIG to spread the wear out and get the best SSD controller.
Oct 15, 2016
190 posts
225 upvotes
vrredflag wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:27 pm
i'm paranoid now. how do you all monitor your ssds for health? crystal disk info? what are some key things to look for that might indicate an ssd is failing?
SMART data is all you have to go on. Sometimes it will forewarn you, and sometimes not. Life is full of uncertainties.

Worrying about backups is far more productive than worrying about drives. Macrium free is a truly great product (I used it for years, before upgrading to the paid version to get the encryption feature). Backup daily to a cheap Seagate SMR external drive and keep your USB recovery stick up to date.