Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

SiliconDust HDHomeRun - $104

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2017 8:26 am
Apr 20, 2006
856 posts
596 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] SiliconDust HDHomeRun - $104

PRETTY PRETTY PRETTTTTTY GOOD DEAL friends

Cut the cable and cut the rental costs.
Watch FREE live HDTV on up to 2 devices simultaneously on your WiFi
(802.11ac router) or wired network.
Works with our HDHomeRun DVR so you can watch, pause and record.
Watch and record in full 1080i resolution where available.;HDHomeRun CONNECT streams to DLNA compatible devices on your network.;Expand the number of tuners with multiple HDHomeRun devices.;TV Antenna required.

Just ordered to add to my PLEX SERVER
37 replies
Nov 12, 2006
28 posts
33 upvotes
I've had these HDHomeRun devices for years. They're great if you can get OTA signals. Integrated well with Windows Media Center, and now Kodi.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
Nice. I actually have one, but with the rise of so many on-demand streaming services accessible from smart TVs, and Roku/Apple TV style boxes, this seems almost outdated...
Apr 20, 2006
856 posts
596 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote: Nice. I actually have one, but with the rise of so many on-demand streaming services accessible from smart TVs, and Roku/Apple TV style boxes, this seems almost outdated...
how so
Oct 2, 2007
966 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal
I also think it's a good price. I bought the same device about a 2 years ago and paid 165$ in big rebates... tempted to get another one to expand to 4 tuners. :) Thanks for sharing!
Nov 20, 2013
288 posts
206 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Depending on your use case (certainly with a Media Center / HTPC), the Quad tuner Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 might be a better value. It provides four tuners on a half height PCI Express board. Current price is $119.99 on Amazon.ca. I have an HDHR and a single tuner Hauppauge 1250. While the HDHR is cool for network streaming shared tuners, the Hauppauge typically gets stronger OTA signals.

https://www.amazon.ca/HAUPPAUGE-WinTV-q ... =hauppauge

Apr 20, 2006
856 posts
596 upvotes
TechDaddy wrote: Depending on your use case (certainly with a Media Center / HTPC), the Quad tuner Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 might be a better value. It provides four tuners on a half height PCI Express board. Current price is $119.99 on Amazon.ca. I have an HDHR and a single tuner Hauppauge 1250. While the HDHR is cool for network streaming shared tuners, the Hauppauge typically gets stronger OTA signals.

https://www.amazon.ca/HAUPPAUGE-WinTV-q ... =hauppauge
For people with HTPC and plex server SiliconDUST is the way to go
Oct 2, 2007
966 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal
I personally have an Unraid server with a TV tuner but I also use the HDHomeRun to expand the tuners count. But it's a bit easier with my setup. If I didn't have that, I would probably also stick exclusively with HDHomeRun as you can stack as many as you want.

Btw, after buying another one, I searched online a bit and they seem to be phasing out this model; hence the rebate. I saw it at 69$US at BestBuy.com... and some sites mention the CONNECT being legacy now.
Nov 20, 2013
288 posts
206 upvotes
Burlington, ON
ficklen wrote: For people with HTPC and plex server SiliconDUST is the way to go
How so?
If you have an HTPC with an available PCI Express slot, the Hauppauge is a great option. 4 tuners instead of 2 is a significant advantage.
If you need to access the tuners directly from machines other than the HTPC, then the HDHR is a flexible option, as it can be shared among networked devices.
I typically use my tuners exclusively on the HTPC with SageTV and stream content around the house using Sage Client software rather than having devices access the HDHR directly.

Again - it depends on the use case but I wouldn't say definitively that 'For people with HTPC and plex server SiliconDUST is the way to go'.
Apr 20, 2006
856 posts
596 upvotes
TechDaddy wrote:

Again - it depends on the use case but I wouldn't say definitively that 'For people with HTPC and plex server SiliconDUST is the way to go'.
Again-with Plex server! there is no extra software or apps needed, not just talking a solo HTPC or casting from phone etc. Its pretty much an add on for plex
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
In some cases you can locate the HDHR with a remote antenna (and just provide network connectivity to it) so that might be another use case vs trying to locate your actual HTPC near the antenna.
Nov 20, 2013
288 posts
206 upvotes
Burlington, ON
It depends on your scenario. In my case, 4 tuner > 2 tuner - If I was doing it again Hauppauge wins. HDHR is pretty convenient for pointing your antenna with the phone app :) Both have advantages.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Got one of these in 2014 from newegg.ca for $80. Not sure why these are so expensive and are never on sale; from time to time I see these drop down to $49 on the US equivlaent of RFD [SD] (refurb - but that's ok with me).
On Amazon I haven't see it so low. I have 2 and run the HDhomerun app on pretty much all my devices, and also run NextPVR in a VM and pushing the recordings on a QNAP.
HDHomerun now has a yearly license so that you can install the HDHomerun engine on your NAS (QNAP and others) and record straight from the app.
Works great, I love it!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
I have one of the original HDHR units and have been using it for years with WMC for guide data.... Now that MCE isn't part of Win10, what are you guys using for guide data?
Nov 20, 2013
288 posts
206 upvotes
Burlington, ON
majikstic wrote: I have one of the original HDHR units and have been using it for years with WMC for guide data.... Now that MCE isn't part of Win10, what are you guys using for guide data?
I use SageTV open source with SchedulesDirect EPG plugin.
Jul 23, 2006
567 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
I buy old one on kijiji, look tv on iPad by Kodi, only few old version Kodi support old HDhomerun,