Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snorkel Mask $16.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 11:03 am
Sep 15, 2015
743 posts
655 upvotes
Abbotsford
Agreed. If old (boomer +) or young. Avoid, or use under supervision.

Love the comments from the google journalists, with their own facts and figures.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1146 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
These are on clearance on Costco. Can't imagine it won't fog up.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1722 posts
765 upvotes
For those complaining about the mask fogging up, I'd imagine you could use normal anti-fog creams/sprays to remedy that.

Unfortunately there isn't an anti-death cream that would fix the fact that these are unsafe and should not be used.
Nov 15, 2014
156 posts
26 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I have to echo the caution that others have raised with these masks. Bought 2 for my kids after seeing other people use them in Mexico. Tried it out in a pool - my older son was ok with it, my younger son started complaining of headache, lips started turning blue and skin got all clammy after about 15-20 min of use. The problem is that there isn't a constant exchange of fresh air like in the older snorkels. Some people, young kids especially, don't exhale or "push" strong enough to get a fresh exchange of oxygen so you start taking in more carbon dioxide than you should. I took my son out of the water, got him into fresh air and he was fine shortly after but I can see how this can quickly lead to problems for people especially if you're further out in the water. There are a bunch of similar stories (and worse) online, I don't want to fear monger but just a word of caution to be careful with these, especially if you're letting your kids use them.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3597 posts
925 upvotes
Ottawa
DanielM491 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 7:43 pm
Are you kidding me!
How can this cause a fatality?
1 this is not a floatation device.
2. You are floating on the surface when snorkeling.
3. I'm a certified snorkler. This will not kill you.
As an 11 year old kid I passed out using one of these. Fortunately my dad had insisted in coming into the water with me as a spotter and realised there was something wrong when I turned into my back with the air tube in the water. If he hadn't been there I could have easily drowned.

My breathing was simply way too shallow to maintain a fresh oxygen supply.

You should have your snorkeling certification revoked for not knowing this danger.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4907 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto
Wow crazy to think this led to mainly people deaths. I guess I should be happy it fogged up so much since I had to constantly remove mask to defog, which in turn allowed me to breathe in sufficient oxygen. F*** crazy that this POS mask had the opportunity to kill me multiple times in my last trip since I went on a bunch of snorkelling adventures.
Nov 5, 2008
274 posts
94 upvotes
Shawinigan, QC
Since im not diving anymore, bought this kind for surface scuba last year on amazon

sur they fog and you have to spit
sure they are cheap but it doest worth a 150 $ mask
until now im really happy to snorkel with this kind of mask around in the lakes . I'm even able to dive deeper and even the pressure in my ears without squeezing my nose
you have to take care with the snorkel angle, it happened a few time i had it too far and water infiltrate with a wave (or the floating balls avoid it i dont remember, but for sur the breath was blocked)
floating ball work pretty well under water.. dont ask me how i know... but hey its a recreationnal mask, not a pro one !!

What i also like is the way you empty the water inside the mask.. you only exhale... and the water stay in a separate compartement until its flushed out

My friend tried the mask and was unable to fit it watertight... for me its no problem
Now i was snorkeling like 15 min under-over water... make some crawl... then stopped.. not evend had symptom about Co2 .. i guess i breath harder , im not a sissy... not taking just a sip of air.. sometime also i push harder to remove water through the valve near the mouth !!

If your not sure about this kind of mask, go to one of the Decathlon store around Montreal (Quebec city it will open in September) and you can bring it back if your not happy (buts its around 30 $, i dont know about quality but decathlon do lot of research and test on heir equipements)
haaaaaaa.... Decathlon.. finally in north america!! My luggage will be lighter now whenever i come back from France!
Last edited by lavabo on Aug 16th, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8264 posts
2545 upvotes
Toronto
Do NOT buy this.

I'm a diver. My wife doesn't dive and can snorkel. I would not let my wife or any other people use something like this.

Buy a proper mask and dry snorkel. It's not worth trying to save a few bucks to endanger yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2330 posts
2121 upvotes
Toronto
shamans wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:59 pm
These are on clearance on Costco. Can't imagine it won't fog up.
I bought the one from Costco (Uno brand) and my wife and I both love it for snorkeling around the lake. No leaks, great clarity. Now the lake is pretty calm and we're recreational surface snorkelers. Like most things, you use the tool that fits the job. This one works for the way we use it.
Dec 28, 2011
809 posts
371 upvotes
Victoria
lavabo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 3:14 pm
Since im not diving anymore, bought this kind for surface scuba last year on amazon

sur they fog and you have to spit
sure they are cheap but it doest worth a 150 $ mask
until now im really happy to snorkel with this kind of mask around in the lakes . I'm even able to dive deeper and even the pressure in my ears without squeezing my nose
you have to take care with the snorkel angle, it happened a few time i had it too far and water infiltrate with a wave (or the floating balls avoid it i dont remember, but for sur the breath was blocked)
floating ball work pretty well under water.. dont ask me how i know... but hey its a recreationnal mask, not a pro one !!

What i also like is the way you empty the water inside the mask.. you only exhale... and the water stay in a separate compartement until its flushed out

My friend tried the mask and was unable to fit it watertight... for me its no problem
Now i was snorkeling like 15 min under-over water... make some crawl... then stopped.. not evend had symptom about Co2 .. i guess i breath harder , im not a sissy... not taking just a sip of air.. sometime also i push harder to remove water through the valve near the mouth !!

If your not sure about this kind of mask, go to one of the Decathlon store around Montreal (Quebec city it will open in September) and you can bring it back if your not happy (buts its around 30 $, i dont know about quality but decathlon do lot of research and test on heir equipements)
haaaaaaa.... Decathlon.. finally in north america!! My luggage will be lighter now whenever i come back from France!
Never ever dive in these, you run the risk of damaging your ears permanently. It's extremely difficult to equalize in these.