Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower $279

[OP]
Oct 29, 2011
48 posts
143 upvotes
Oshawa

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower $279

I’m not fan of rechargeable snow blower, but it look like good deal if you ok with rechargeable snow blower
13 replies
May 22, 2015
809 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm torn because I live in Vancouver where it snows 3 days a year, so I don't need a heavy duty machine. But I do find myself clearing about 400' of sidewalk each snowfall which turns to ice for 3 weeks if it's not done immediately.

Hmm...

Is 40V enough? My 20V drills don't last very long.

edit: Most reviews say it needs an inch+ of snow to actually work. So light dustings still need to be done by hand.
Dec 20, 2005
917 posts
17 upvotes
Looks good. Definitely considering
Jan 23, 2007
134 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:12 pm
I'm torn because I live in Vancouver where it snows 3 days a year, so I don't need a heavy duty machine. But I do find myself clearing about 400' of sidewalk each snowfall which turns to ice for 3 weeks if it's not done immediately.

Hmm...

Is 40V enough? My 20V drills don't last very long.

edit: Most reviews say it needs an inch+ of snow to actually work. So light dustings still need to be done by hand.
For light dustings, you need leaf blower.
Jun 19, 2006
914 posts
75 upvotes
Weak (if not now, will be later when battery aged).

Cord ones (15A) are better, I got SJ-623E for several years so far so good.

Saved neighbour couple times when their luxury gas engine would not start. lol
Mar 26, 2016
13 posts
40 upvotes
Looking to sell mine at $230, since I just bought a gas blower. I'm in Edmonton...
Nov 19, 2015
1 posts
Wasaga Beach, ON
Bought one few weeks ago.

Much to weak for anything other than fluff.

Its just not meant for Canadian winter. It was an exercise in frustration trying to use this in 6" snow. It would have been quicker and easier to shovel.

I would not recommend
Dec 16, 2017
40 posts
40 upvotes
ottawa
I got this from walmart for $229 in the summer. I have a very small laneway (one car length). I'm in Ottawa and have used it maybe 5 times so far. My experience with it so far:

* at first it SUCKED. Basically spit up snow rather than throwing it. Stalled out a few times also (wet snow).

Then I did some research and learned a few things. 1) the angle of the shoot drastically effects performance 2) going to slowly also drastically decreases the throw capacity. So after learning those two things, here's my take:

* for $229 it was well worth the money (not so sure about $279; and definitely not the full price)
* when you get it working it can really blast the snow a good 5-10 feet (if the chute is aimed forward; if aimed to the side, more like 2-4 feet).
* it actually performs best when there is 2+ inches on the ground (a constant input of snow into the shoot helps it throw better)
* it can do wet, heavy, and/or slushy snow, but it doesn't "throw" it well at all. Yet it does "move" it, so in that sense it works but it's no "fun" to use on those days.
* it's VERY light (maybe 25lbs). You can pick it up and carry it anywhere if you wanted. I actually bring it around back and do the deck with it also
* battery is excellent; it's yet to run out on me (I think the longest I used it was 30 minutes).

Once you adjust the handlebars to your liking and get the chute at the right angle, I gotta say it's relatively fun to use. It not longer stalls on me (and by stall you don't have to restart it, just back up an inch so it starts going again) and it now throws the snow well onto the lawn area so I don't have to plow twice.

It's not a "beast" but it does the job - I'd cringe at the thought of manually shovelling now.

Shame on Snow Joe for not giving people instructions on how to maximize performance. I'd bet there are a ton of returns simply because people use it out of the box (where the chute is angled at 45degrees and performs horribly).

So I'd say it's an okay purchase.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1916 posts
1848 upvotes
I bought one of those this summer and first snow I tried to push the snow and it my big scoop was less trouble than this. so guess what I sold it and im looking for a gas snowblower again.
at this price dont bother. is is also only 18 inch about as wide as a normal winter shovel , and it is not to do the end of the driveway maybe good for a patio but ergonomic scoop is much better than this.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1916 posts
1848 upvotes
Homesimpson wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:32 pm

Shame on Snow Joe for not giving people instructions on how to maximize performance. I'd bet there are a ton of returns simply because people use it out of the box (where the chute is angled at 45degrees and performs horribly).

45 degree angle or not it should work out of the box or they should have locked it in place and sell it for what it is.

also not self propelled you must push to get the snow thrower to throw snow. it is kind of like a scoop but that throws snow.

if you must get a scoop get the ergonomic one youll thank yourself later. like this one that goes for around 30.00 at Canadian tire
https://www.amazon.ca/Garant-YPSS26-26- ... 7996&psc=1
Dec 16, 2017
40 posts
40 upvotes
ottawa
waven101 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:52 pm
45 degree angle or not it should work out of the box or they should have locked it in place and sell it for what it is.

also not self propelled you must push to get the snow thrower to throw snow. it is kind of like a scoop but that throws snow.

if you must get a scoop get the ergonomic one youll thank yourself later. like this one that goes for around 30.00 at Canadian tire
https://www.amazon.ca/Garant-YPSS26-26- ... 7996&psc=1
that's a fair description in terms of my initial experiences with it. Once I got it set up right though it really is a powerful little machine. Like I say, Snow Joe should have their heads checked for shipping it in the worst possible configuration for use (most likely it's for some stupid reason like it only fits in the box when the chute is angled at 45 degress). And then not including something in the manual to alert people to reconfigure it is idiotic as well. I bet 95% of their returns could be avoided if they informed people how to set it up right.

And while it's not self-propelled, it takes relatively no effort to push the machine forward (again, if it's firing out the snow well there's very little resistance as you move forward).

Ultimately the machine really isn't bad;, especially on a deep discount sale like i got it at. I've never had a snow blower and it's a kick to clear the laneway after a heavy snow and not be exhausted afterward.
Nov 28, 2011
349 posts
425 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Homesimpson wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:32 pm
I got this from walmart for $229 in the summer. I have a very small laneway (one car length). I'm in Ottawa and have used it maybe 5 times so far. My experience with it so far:

* at first it SUCKED. Basically spit up snow rather than throwing it. Stalled out a few times also (wet snow).

Then I did some research and learned a few things. 1) the angle of the shoot drastically effects performance 2) going to slowly also drastically decreases the throw capacity. So after learning those two things, here's my take:

* for $229 it was well worth the money (not so sure about $279; and definitely not the full price)
* when you get it working it can really blast the snow a good 5-10 feet (if the chute is aimed forward; if aimed to the side, more like 2-4 feet).
* it actually performs best when there is 2+ inches on the ground (a constant input of snow into the shoot helps it throw better)
* it can do wet, heavy, and/or slushy snow, but it doesn't "throw" it well at all. Yet it does "move" it, so in that sense it works but it's no "fun" to use on those days.
* it's VERY light (maybe 25lbs). You can pick it up and carry it anywhere if you wanted. I actually bring it around back and do the deck with it also
* battery is excellent; it's yet to run out on me (I think the longest I used it was 30 minutes).

Once you adjust the handlebars to your liking and get the chute at the right angle, I gotta say it's relatively fun to use. It not longer stalls on me (and by stall you don't have to restart it, just back up an inch so it starts going again) and it now throws the snow well onto the lawn area so I don't have to plow twice.

It's not a "beast" but it does the job - I'd cringe at the thought of manually shovelling now.

*This*
I also got it for $229 from Walmart.
Don't expect $600 performance from a machine at this tier.
I'm Not a big fan of batteries but I gave it a try.
You are fine as long as you know its limitations.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4135 posts
61 upvotes
Cambridge
I’ve had mine for 3 years. I would call it the bare minimum for a snowblower. Live in the GTA.

Pretty much what HomeSimpson has said.

Has not failed to clear my snow yet although sometimes I had to take very narrow swaths.

This won’t make your manhood any bigger. Be prepared to be Prius next to 4wd raised monster truck.

On the other hand....no gas, no oil. No spark plug. I can pick it up with one hand and hang it on the wall of the garage. We like to park both cars in the garage and this is a big deal.

Yes it matters about where you point the chute. Straight ahead up to 18 ft (6m) but 90 degrees sideways 1m.

Single charge in the battery does a 6 car driveway plus sidewalk in heavy snow with just a little charge leftover.