Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery

[OP]
Jan 13, 2002
365 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery

Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery , nice price drop.
88 replies
Aug 30, 2015
258 posts
77 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
this will be my first winter in a house in Canada and I have no idea if

- Shovel
- Cordless snow blower
- Gas snow blower

Realistically will a snow blower save me lots of time on a regular sized single garage detached house (no corner lot)?

This seems like a good price but also seems to be not powerful enough for when you actually need it the most
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1348 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks op was waiting for this.
Aug 21, 2013
98 posts
40 upvotes
Kitchener
I live in KW as well. Over the last 2 years there were only a few days each year that would warrant getting out a snow blower but on those days you would be thankful for having it but you would probably need a pretty powerful one on those days. Also the city is supposedly getting really strict on clearing the side walks this year.
Which is more suitable for you probably depends on what your property is like, drive way size? How much sidewalk?
Aug 30, 2015
258 posts
77 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
KevlarCoated wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:27 pm
I live in KW as well. Over the last 2 years there were only a few days each year that would warrant getting out a snow blower but on those days you would be thankful for having it but you would probably need a pretty powerful one on those days. Also the city is supposedly getting really strict on clearing the side walks this year.
Which is more suitable for you probably depends on what your property is like, drive way size? How much sidewalk?
It's a single garage/driveway, sidewalk is standard size in a packed neighbourhood.

I guess I will try to shovel this winter to see if I really need it, or until I regret not buying a blower (or not).
Aug 30, 2015
258 posts
77 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
azn0Richard0 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:34 pm
If you don't mind a cord. Walmart will have this for 138$ on their pre black friday flyer.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/snow-joe-s ... 2P6X3CZPMH
Imo I feel these machines seem a bit large and a bit of a hassle unless you have a large driveway and walkway that requires a lot of work to clear.
actually corded is not an option, I have a corded lawn mower and I think it's a PITA.
Either I'll go cordless electric or gas. But I think I will hold off with a shovel until I regret it
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12519 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
I would not recommend this for the avg detached home owner as this is pretty weak. I would suggest spending a little more and getting this unit:

home-depot-toro-721-r-single-stage-snow ... 5-2216893/
Last edited by hightech on Nov 13th, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9790 posts
1447 upvotes
then either live with the cord or get a cordless lithium and pray you will get 3+ years battery life.
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:42 pm
what if you're someone who doesn't want to deal with maintenance required on gas machines?
Apr 20, 2006
672 posts
334 upvotes
I LOVE SNOWJOE AND SUNJOE stuff!! I wouldnt buy this but just wanted to give thumbs up
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2679 posts
185 upvotes
I'm going to warn you guys that the 40V batteries only have a 2-year warranty. I bought two 40V products in 2015. I had to get one battery replaced under warranty almost immediately as the charge indicator on it never worked. The second battery died on me this summer (doesn't charge anymore) and the only option they gave me was a 10% discount on a new battery, which costs $150 plus tax and maybe shipping. I'm not going to buy another battery at that price, and I would expect my snow shovel or lawn mower to last more than 3 years without having to spending another $150+ on it.

I like the concept of the tools but I personally can't buy another Sun/Snow Joe product if they only stand by their product for 2 years.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12519 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
Smashy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:47 pm
I'm going to warn you guys that the 40V batteries only have a 2-year warranty. I bought two 40V products in 2015. I had to get one battery replaced under warranty almost immediately as the charge indicator on it never worked. The second battery died on me this summer (doesn't charge anymore) and the only option they gave me was a 10% discount on a new battery, which costs $150 plus tax and maybe shipping. I'm not going to buy another battery at that price, and I would expect my snow shovel or lawn mower to last more than 3 years without having to spending another $150+ on it.

I like the concept of the tools but I personally can't buy another Sun/Snow Joe product if they only stand by their product for 2 years.
If you use a trickle/float charger and keep the battery charged since new, you should be able to get 3 years+ out of it. Most times people charge the battery, let it run flat and then recharge it. This is one of the worst things you can do for a battery and it will greatly shorten the battery life.
Apr 20, 2006
672 posts
334 upvotes
I hope you guys dont store your batteries in a cold/hot garage