Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery

Sep 15, 2015
162 posts
72 upvotes
Mooooonnn
I have this blower. I would say most case a Sleigh shovel would do a better job and it is cheaper
One punch, ouch man
Nov 22, 2014
52 posts
27 upvotes
Unionville, ON
their lowest price was $240 last year around black friday. maybe if we wait a bit price will go down again
Apr 12, 2013
339 posts
195 upvotes
BC
We got the Snow Joe ION8024-XR (2 stage, 2 batteries) last year for 700 something at Lowes. It's good, but not incredible. Handles pretty deep snow (a foot is common here in the Rockies) but dies in the really hard pack. Construction was very lightweight too: we bent the front opening and Snow Joe shipped us a replacement next day. I am annoyed I can't find a 20" mower in Canada using the same batteries: SunJoe maxes out at 16".

Decision was simple: our gas blower had died and I'm sick of trying to fix small engines. Gone all electric on everything now, even if it isn't quite as good, it's good enough.
Jan 2, 2009
325 posts
69 upvotes
I have had this one for a few years now. It works pretty well. Doesn't like we snow. If I was to buy today, I would get an 80V cordless, maybe a Kobalt. But 40v was the max available at the time.
Aug 7, 2005
772 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:22 pm
this will be my first winter in a house in Canada and I have no idea if

- Shovel
- Cordless snow blower
- Gas snow blower
As a right of passage you need to start off with a Shovel.
Sep 18, 2004
556 posts
260 upvotes
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:22 pm
this will be my first winter in a house in Canada and I have no idea if

- Shovel
- Cordless snow blower
- Gas snow blower
Assuming you're not going to drop $1K+ on an Ego unit, the first two choices boil down to "Shovel", so I'd save your money if you're not going gas. Corded electric is also passable for light use.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1823 posts
170 upvotes
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:42 pm
what if you're someone who doesn't want to deal with maintenance required on gas machines?
Maintenance.... ya I should do that. I just changed the oil and cleaned the spark plug on my snow blower for the first time in 11 years. My lawnmower is going on 8 without anything done to it. I feel the small engines are pretty reliable. Its the parts that you cant do any maintenance on that seem to fail. Keep your equipment clean and dry when stored and it will last you 10 + years
Nov 20, 2009
252 posts
91 upvotes
Welland
An electric snow blower is way better, as you don't have to worry about the battery dying on you before the job is completed. Also as others have mentioned the batteries can cost quite a lot when you have to replace them.

Also the corded ones is not as bad in terms of convenience, you just have to be bit careful regarding stepping or running over the electric cord.

Tip: Don't get distracted, stay focused and always make sure the cord is not in the blower's path and all should be well.
Also use an extension cord with the proper gauge for the amps of the blower and the distance from the outlet.
Dec 4, 2007
766 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
minwersh wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 2:30 pm
get a sleigh style shovel similar to this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001FD ... UTF8&psc=1

This went on sale on amazon once for 25 bux. You just "plow" the snow off to the side. No need for lifting or bending or stressing your back. I can do my single car garage drive way in about 10-15 min.
sold.
Last edited by silverferrari on Nov 16th, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13008 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
fredder wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:40 pm
Is a 'trickle/float charger' what comes with this snowblower, or do I need to buy a separate type of battery charger to keep the battery healthy?
You would have to read the manual to find out. If not, I would just charge the battery once a month when not in use and that should help preserve the life.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3938 posts
691 upvotes
Aurora
fredder wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 12:53 pm
Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery , nice price drop.
It's showing a 14% price drop...not sure what's so special about that?!

Helpful to remember...youse gets what youse pays for...highly doubt this could keep up with a gas blower.

Unless of course you use a trickle charger and keep your batteries housed in a battery cosy, at the optimal storage temperature, and don't discharge them completely, and don't charge them completely....and so on, and so on, and so on.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jul 17, 2010
172 posts
143 upvotes
My friend has a corded snow joe. According to him, it is good enough for his urban 2x2 driveway.

My rule of thumb is to watch what most of your neighbors use. Get something similar.
Aug 10, 2006
969 posts
360 upvotes
i had this model for about two years now here in Scarborough. no regrets. i would spend about 20-30 minutes, knock off half the time i would normally take with shovel - saves the back in the long run i think.

the corded snow joe is ok too, hated the cord, it would take just as long playing with the cord than actually clearing the driveway :facepalm: reason i moved with the battery version.

Below video seems like a good review.. also having owned the gas craftsman in the video, used it only 2-3 times over the years and ended up junking it at the end - was an overkill for my needs. LOL

i am actually looking into the snow joe leaf blower .. uses the same battery. it'll be nice to blow leaves during the fall and winter light snow off the car.. LOL