Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery

Jan 24, 2007
176 posts
19 upvotes
I don't know my snow blowers well enough. Just moved into a city with more snow than I am used to and it also has gravel road for my property as well. As far as I have researched, most people say that single stage snow blowers are not recommended for gravel right?
[OP]
Jan 13, 2002
377 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:16 pm
It's showing a 14% price drop...not sure what's so special about that?!
compared to last week, it's a pretty good price drop:
Nov 07, 2018 01:21 AM $419.00
Dec 18, 2012
7 posts
2 upvotes
Milton
Yes, my experiences with a cordless snow blower(18") is pretty dismal especially if you live around the corner where the snow plow drops off a dump in the driveway several times during a snow storm.
I just gave mine to my son and bought the Toro 721 when I received a price match less 10% from Home Depot. It has a 212 cc engine which is more powerful than many 2 stage snowblowers and it fits nicely at the front of my single car garage right beside the car.
Not that I like snow but I'm anxious to see if I made the right choice.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2265 posts
943 upvotes
I bought the 'hybrid' version (40V battery or can be plugged into 120V AC) of this snowblower on clearance in the spring.

I used it for the first time tonight, using 40V (I also tried 120V to see how it worked). There are a couple inches of very wet snow tonight. I was able to blow our pathway, 4-car driveway, and about 150' of sidewalk before the battery died.

Definitely much less effort than shoveling, and big time savings. Worthwhile, but consider holding out for a hybrid or 60V/80V model that will last longer, especially as batteries degrade over time.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13547 posts
2996 upvotes
London
Kaphis wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 12:57 am
I don't know my snow blowers well enough. Just moved into a city with more snow than I am used to and it also has gravel road for my property as well. As far as I have researched, most people say that single stage snow blowers are not recommended for gravel right?
Gravel = two stage unless you like to fix broken windows
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3670 posts
1512 upvotes
Canada
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:22 pm
this will be my first winter in a house in Canada and I have no idea if

- Shovel
- Cordless snow blower
- Gas snow blower

Realistically will a snow blower save me lots of time on a regular sized single garage detached house (no corner lot)?

This seems like a good price but also seems to be not powerful enough for when you actually need it the most
For the KW area with a one car driveway I would do two shovels. One small one for throwing and one wide one for pushing snow. You have to clean it while it's fresh. A snowblower, especially gas ones are a paint to maneuver and you have to maintain them. It's only worth it if you have a big driveway. Plus with shovel you get some much needed excercise because winter pounds a real.... Trust me I am the fatestkid
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Nov 6, 2018
69 posts
17 upvotes
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:22 pm
this will be my first winter in a house in Canada and I have no idea if

- Shovel
- Cordless snow blower
- Gas snow blower

Realistically will a snow blower save me lots of time on a regular sized single garage detached house (no corner lot)?

This seems like a good price but also seems to be not powerful enough for when you actually need it the most
Always go with gas blower. Battery blowers are not for Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2791 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:42 pm
what if you're someone who doesn't want to deal with maintenance required on gas machines?
The 15-20 minutes per year I spend maintaining my machine is killer and is a real time waste, and will add up to multiple hours over my lifetime. /s
In all honesty, it's not nearly as bad as people seem to think. Change the oil, put stabilizer in the gas during off season (debatable if needed if using non-ethanol), change the spark plug every now and then.

Unfortunately, if you get any substantial snowfall or have a larger area to shovel, there are no other alternatives to gas (paying to get it done I suppose?).
Aug 10, 2010
280 posts
105 upvotes
I bought this model from walmart for $220 last year. It is close to useless. It always stop and restart when there are less than 1 inch of snow and sometimes even stop working because the snow stuck inside. I thought light snow would work better, but for whatever reason it doesn't throw the snow at all when there is very little snow. It looks like you need to have not too much snow and not too little snow in order to make it work. Since it's light, when you push the snowblower, somehow it will go "upward" instead of "forward" if you know what I meant. Anyhow, I had high hope on this snowblower before and I have been trying to like it. Too bad, it's just way out of my expectation.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1455 posts
119 upvotes
azn0Richard0 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:34 pm
If you don't mind a cord. Walmart will have this for 138$ on their pre black friday flyer.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/snow-joe-s ... 2P6X3CZPMH
Imo I feel these machines seem a bit large and a bit of a hassle unless you have a large driveway and walkway that requires a lot of work to clear.
Never ever buy a snow joe corded snow thrower. I bought the same model a few years back, used it twice:

first time: ran for 10 minutes, one of the wheels fell out. I managed to get in touch with the service department and they sent me the wheel,
second time: ran for another 10 minutes, the motor died. I called the service number everyday for a week but nobody answered. It went directly to land fill.
Oct 2, 2018
20 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
In the core of the City where i grew up in Toronto a small electric corded snowblower would work well, super small lots and walking paths a full fledged blower wouldn't work.

For a larger lot with multiple cars & sidewalk i tend to go 2 stage gas blower, and a larger motor seeing it takes some power to move wet snow a particular distance. For the fluffy stuff a smaller motor works as it is light, but the wet stuff and a small engine is problematic. A friend of mine purchased a 24" model with a smaller engine and any wet snow he has to go to the shovel, pretty disappointing seeing the money he laid out.

I am using a 30" model with 10HP motor which is 10 to 15 years old, a friend traded it to me as it wouldn't run any longer and he believed the motor was seized. I picked it up for next to nothing on a trade, changed the carb (amazon), replaced the starter (used), fuel line, oil, spark plug and have been happy for the last 4 or 5 years.

Always use Ethanol free gas, Shell's highest brand of gas is stated on the pump itself to be ethanol free. That should keep your carb fairly clean and eliminate the majority of issues. Takes space in the garage for the machine but well worth it for those nasty storms.

I tend to do my neighbours lots each side of mine as a curtesy on the big snow days.

You need power for the wet stuff so keep that in mind when buying, otherwise you will just be wasting your money.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3789 posts
599 upvotes
Konowl wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 9:55 am
The 15-20 minutes per year I spend maintaining my machine is killer and is a real time waste, and will add up to multiple hours over my lifetime. /s
In all honesty, it's not nearly as bad as people seem to think. Change the oil, put stabilizer in the gas during off season (debatable if needed if using non-ethanol), change the spark plug every now and then.

Unfortunately, if you get any substantial snowfall or have a larger area to shovel, there are no other alternatives to gas (paying to get it done I suppose?).
Lol I expected sarcasm from my post but it's for my mom's place and I really don't want to be the one maintaining it.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2791 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
nx6288 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 11:52 am
Lol I expected sarcasm from my post but it's for my mom's place and I really don't want to be the one maintaining it.
Oh yeah that's a different story and I empathize completely. I work in IT and I'm completely expected to be the support person for my family, my extended family, and their friends for any piece of technology.

Aunt: "My phone doesn't work!"
MIL: "We have IT here!!!!"

I'm a project manager who specializes in network automation and programmability. I could care less about phones and have zero desire to figure out why your email isn't working.
Last edited by Konowl on Nov 16th, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.