Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Snow Joe iON18SB Ion Cordless Single Stage Brushless Snow Blower with Rechargeable Ecosharp 40-volt Lithium-Ion Battery

Nov 28, 2011
287 posts
327 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
My first experience with Snowjoe. The build quality is pretty good for this price point.
This morning I used it after last night's 4" of snow.
The motor ran quietly and it was easy to maneuver. Surprisingly it threw the heavy snow well.
The sticky snow got jammed in the chute a few times requiring clearing.

I can shovel my 20x40 drive faster then the machine but it really saves on the back.
I bought this at Walmart [$220] in the summer and if they had hybrid model I would have bought that instead.
The backup 120v will be helpful as the run time of the battery will eventually fade.
I'm Pretty happy with the performance for a light weight machine.
Last edited by badger11 on Nov 16th, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 10, 2010
280 posts
105 upvotes
badger11 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:53 pm
This morning I used after last night's 4" of snow.
The motor ran quietly and it is easy to maneuver. Surprisingly it threw the heavy snow well.
I got the same machine as you do but I had a totally opposite of experience than yours. I did a quick review search on amazon.com and found some 1 star had the same issue of taking care of few inches of snow. The battery was fully charged and everything was done according to the manual. I can't think of why mine doesn't work that well. Obviously, there is no more refund now, so whatever I can do to improve performance, I would take it.
Jan 8, 2007
214 posts
10 upvotes
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:37 pm
actually corded is not an option, I have a corded lawn mower and I think it's a PITA.
Either I'll go cordless electric or gas. But I think I will hold off with a shovel until I regret it
Don't use corded for lawn mower, too many corner/plants to avoid, it's a disaster.

but for snow, it usually it's just a back and forth, so it's fine.

I use this one and it's on sale, I think this is the 1 of the powerful corded snow blower.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/snow-joe-s ... lackfriday
Nov 28, 2011
287 posts
327 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
shoppingsheep wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 1:04 pm
I can't think of why mine doesn't work that well. Obviously, there is no more refund now, so whatever I can do to improve performance, I would take it.
Sorry to hear that.
Are you comparing this to a gassed model?
I have not owned a gas blower and I could only compare it to a older Yardworks corded blower.
My feed rate was steady but slow. I was monitoring the load I was putting on the motor. If I pushed it hard and fast it would stall.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5927 posts
661 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I just want to share my experience as I have this exact model for 3 years now. To give you an idea of my driveway I have a detached house in GTA with a double wide driveway with no sidewalk, to it's about two cars length total.

For light and fluffy snow this will go through the entire driveway no problem. A lot of juice left in the battery also.

For wet snow it struggles a bit. The issue is that it can't throw the snow as far and sometimes slush get stuck in the chute. Battery is close to empty when I'm done.

For packed snow and icy snow (like a snowbank left by street plow or when right-after thaw-freeze cycle), they this thing will have a hard time. Often I need to use a shovel to break off the snow before the blower can go through it. Obviously this is a slow process and the battery will by dry before finishing. I encountered this enough times however so I bought a 2nd battery.

One minor complaint I have is that at 18" is bit narrow and if I would to get one now I would have gotten something wider.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Aug 10, 2010
280 posts
105 upvotes
badger11 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 2:31 pm
Sorry to hear that.
Are you comparing this to a gassed model?
I have not owned a gas blower and I could only compare it to a older Yardworks corded blower.
My feed rate was steady but slow. I was monitoring the load I was putting on the motor. If I pushed it hard and fast it would stall.
This sounds similar to what I experienced. Yes, I used to have an old small gas snowblower, but I didn't expect it being able to take care of the snowbank or wet snow either. When the battery died after couple of years, probably I will replace it with something else. Do you think the corded blower was more powerful than this one?
Jan 24, 2007
176 posts
19 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 10:29 pm
Gravel = two stage unless you like to fix broken windows
What if I am really far from my windows...:(
Jun 10, 2003
609 posts
36 upvotes
Halifax
fredder wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:40 pm
Is a 'trickle/float charger' what comes with this snowblower, or do I need to buy a separate type of battery charger to keep the battery healthy?
This has a lithium battery, you do not trickle charge them. They have no memory so use them and charge them however you like. Do not store them in the cold but they can be used when it is cold outside. Most of the tricks you would use to keep old lead acid or nicad batteries alive longer do not apply anymore.

What kills these lithium packs is when a single cell fails and the charger refuses to charge it for safety reasons. Things like lawn mowers and snow throwers are very hard on lithium batteries. They demand high current draws and you usually discharge them right down till they are dead.

I think you will find that people will start to repair these batteries as a service. I have done it myself for powerdrills, find the bad cell and replace it.
Nov 28, 2011
287 posts
327 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I've done the same with my Dewalt packs but rebuilding Lithium packs is not for the faint at heart.
One needs to have a healthy understanding of the chemistry and physics of these cells otherwise you can create an unwanted explosive outcome.
This is perhaps one reason why there hasn't been a proliferation of battery rebuilding services for Lithium packs [unlike the NiCad generation].
For liability reasons it just safer to buy replacements.
For those interested, the SnowJow Ecosharp packs are built with good quality high amperage cells-- Samsung INR 20Q to be exact.
When these die I'll rebuild them with 6, 8, 9Amp ...whatever Amperage that we will evolved to.
Last edited by badger11 on Nov 17th, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2293 posts
125 upvotes
I have one of this from about 2 or 3 years ago. In general I would not recommend this.

It's jus too weak with 40v battery.

- It can't throw very far < 2 meters. Image you have a double car driveway...

- If the snow is wet/sticky, it won't work well. This is the most of the cases with GTA's weather condition. For example, today!
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1349 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up getting the Kobalt 40v 20" blower. 299 via the link one of the guys posted here. When you select your payment method they give you a further $10 off. Ended up getting it for $289+tax. Battery is 3yrs unit is 5yrs warranty. Have yet to try it.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4117 posts
841 upvotes
Kitchener
What's wrong with storing lithium batteries in the cold? It's heat that degrades it.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Jul 17, 2010
172 posts
143 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 6:25 am
What's wrong with storing lithium batteries in the cold? It's heat that degrades it.
It lose charge in the cold.