Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Spy Tec G1W-C Dashcam (Prime deal $64.95)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 12:08 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON

[Amazon.ca] Spy Tec G1W-C Dashcam (Prime deal $64.95)

Great camera, I have been using mine for 2 years and just now has it started to crap out on me. I use it year round, and it has been an absolute tank. It has a capacitor, loop recording, motion sensor and a bunch of other great and simple features. I believe I bought mine for around $90-100 dollars so this is a steal.

If anyone is interested in the video quality, please refer to the my original post in the thread below!

car-robbbed-need-help-2110983/

Enjoy!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2017
2448 posts
4444 upvotes
Vancouver
I have this camera for 2 years as well. It's fine but honestly there are better alternatives now at this price point. You also overpaid two years ago.

The user interface is pretty awful. The plastic body construction is just cheap.

I replaced mine with two of these recently. Just so much better. https://www.amazon.ca/YI-1080P60-Dashbo ... dpSrc=srch
Last edited by soymilkslam on Feb 22nd, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
soymilkslam wrote: I have this camera for 2 years as well. It's fine but honestly there are better alternatives now at this price point

The user interface is pretty awful. The plastic body construction is just cheap.

I replaced mine with two of these recently. Just so much better. https://www.amazon.ca/YI-1080P60-Dashbo ... dpSrc=srch
Lol funny you mention the Yi, I have a brand new one sitting around my house. However, for the life of me I cannot get it to change from the Chinese firmware to the English one! I remember I spent close to 2 hours trying and nothing worked. I just gave up on it and it just sits collecting dust.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
MafiaHitman wrote: Did they ever catch that guy?
Nope...I am still waiting on the Toronto Police to contact me when they close this investigation...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
flyingnurse wrote: Lol funny you mention the Yi, I have a brand new one sitting around my house. However, for the life of me I cannot get it to change from the Chinese firmware to the English one! I remember I spent close to 2 hours trying and nothing worked. I just gave up on it and it just sits collecting dust.
I'm sure I can help you if you can just post some screenshot, I will just tell you where to press and continunes from there?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2017
2448 posts
4444 upvotes
Vancouver
flyingnurse wrote: Lol funny you mention the Yi, I have a brand new one sitting around my house. However, for the life of me I cannot get it to change from the Chinese firmware to the English one! I remember I spent close to 2 hours trying and nothing worked. I just gave up on it and it just sits collecting dust.
Mine from Amazon just worked out of box. English setup. Just set the date and time and it was ready to go
Feb 20, 2017
213 posts
418 upvotes
I can speak for the quality and durability of this device, however the price is nothing to be excited about. I bought one summer 2015 for about $50 USD (regular price) and then another when boxing day sales came on for $25 USD, both BlueSkySea brand.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
No need to change it. The app is in English and you can change all the settings from it.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
I also have one of these running 3yr+ strong
Nov 19, 2005
550 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
But the Yi runs on battery, I thought capacitors are better for our winters?

I park my car outside so in the winter it's gonna be as cold as however cold Toronto gets.
May 18, 2003
146 posts
24 upvotes
Burnaby
kwokinator wrote: But the Yi runs on battery, I thought capacitors are better for our winters?

I park my car outside so in the winter it's gonna be as cold as however cold Toronto gets.
I have the same model too, but isn't it better for the summer since battery will go bad with overheating and might explode if it gets too hot. That's why when our cell phone gets too hot it might do wonky things too?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Just use the phone app with it. Thats what I do and that’s all English. Even then the menus are not hard at all to figure out.
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
Looks like strapping an old Nokia phone by the car mirror.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2558 posts
823 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote: Great camera, I have been using mine for 2 years and just now has it started to crap out on me. I use it year round, and it has been an absolute tank. It has a capacitor, loop recording, motion sensor and a bunch of other great and simple features. I believe I bought mine for around $90-100 dollars so this is a steal.

If anyone is interested in the video quality, please refer to the my original post in the thread below!

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/car-rob ... p-2110983/

Enjoy!
I watched the video you posted. Since your car was off, is the camera constantly recording video ?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
sylvestor2002 wrote: I watched the video you posted. Since your car was off, is the camera constantly recording video ?
Yes, the center console plug is always powered even when the car is off. I just plugged it in and let it run. Sometimes even for 2-3 days straight with no issues starting the car.