Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] TaoTronics 4L Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier $48.74 ($44.83 after 8% ebates)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1816 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP, just ordered with coupon at checkout!
Aug 23, 2015
120 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP, in for one. Was looking for one ever since the old Sunbeam died (also bottom fill and never had any issues), and this is one sounds just right. Amazon's 8% at ebates made it a bit sweeter too.
Feb 18, 2006
107 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
promo code doesnt work for me
May 30, 2017
170 posts
34 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:32 am
Yes white dust is the result of naturally occurring minerals in the water used. If you use softener or distilled water, you should be fine
I believe if you boil water it becomes distilled
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8674 posts
9335 upvotes
arcty5 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:06 am

No, distillation requires you to capture & condense water vapour / steam. Just boiling the water will not remove anything from the water (asides from the water itself). Minerals are left behind after boiling, while mineral-free water escapes as steam / vapour.
Feb 26, 2011
473 posts
399 upvotes
Calgary
arcty5 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:06 am
Per above. only if you're boiling it like this...
Last edited by jwslam on Jan 17th, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2017
170 posts
34 upvotes
Wizard1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:11 am
No, distillation requires you to capture & condense water vapour / steam. Just boiling the water will not remove anything from the water (asides from the water itself). Minerals are left behind after boiling, while mineral-free water escapes as steam / vapour.
So we have to buy bottled water or go through a distillation process if we don't want the white dust?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3743 posts
684 upvotes
I have this (bought it used for $20), and it works well. I don't know if it's coincidental, but my kids haven't had a nose bleed at night ever since we started using it a month ago. Normally, they get nosebleeds once or twice a week.
signature closed for renovation
Jan 2, 2009
319 posts
62 upvotes
recordman wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:21 am
I have this (bought it used for $20), and it works well. I don't know if it's coincidental, but my kids haven't had a nose bleed at night ever since we started using it a month ago. Normally, they get nosebleeds once or twice a week.

Dry air causes nose bleeds.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1755 posts
1919 upvotes
I have an air purifier in my kids room. So hope that it will catch all of them pesky white powder :)..

Side note: The amount of things that we had to buy for the kids for just their room (Extra heater, humidifier, air purifier)
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2235 posts
633 upvotes
Thornhill
Just a word of caution about ultrasonic humidifier.

Ultrasonic humidifier works very well as a humidifier, and maybe too well.
It throws basically everything from the water into the air - including all the minerals (causing white dust), any contaminants or toxins in the water, bacteria and viruses.

So make sure you use clean water (distilled water recommended), change the filter regularly, and clean the humidifier regularly to prevent bacteria and mold growing.

I personally prefer the steam or evaporation type which are safer (though the steam type may be a problem if you have young kids in the house).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6836 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
BB88 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:29 am
Would that cause a short circuit if the electronics parts are submerged in water?
You could put it on a platform (bricks or similar) in a big bucket if you are worried.
Jun 24, 2013
605 posts
1225 upvotes
Mississauga
it says can not use with essential oil... is there any that can use with oil?? any help please
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2052 posts
268 upvotes
Rooster wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 7:55 am
Just an FYI.

Be careful if you have allergy, asthma or sinus condition. It does produce quite a bit of "white dust". I have one in my office which I run all the time. My entire office is full of these "white dust".

It is nothing to concern about if you don't have the above problems.

https://www.hvac.com/faq/white-dust-concerned/
There are some people who might buy that 'white dust' off you for a nice price
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2074 posts
308 upvotes
There is a more expensive toatronics one (that looks nicer and is top fill) that allows essential oil. I have it, its works well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Humidifiers-TaoTr ... B07D6L83GB

It allows you to just add a few drops of oil to the water reservoir, and to my eyes looks a lot nicer than the more techy taotronics systems.