Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, 4L Capacity, Auto Shut-Off $49.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 8:56 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2005
4076 posts
21127 upvotes
Montreal
I currently have a Boneco (Air-o-Swiss) Warm Mist humidifier - but it's requiring me to almost spend as much as a new humidifier just for their filter accessories. I'm torn between ditching the workhorse Air-o-Swiss, and getting one of these that seem easier to maintain.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
10340 posts
1648 upvotes
which whole house unit did you install? Would like to check it out but I still don't like the idea of moisture may trap in the HVAC pipes. A perfect recipe for mold when you have dusts built up in the pipe..

this model is on sale for $59.99, this model has wide water tank opening for easier cleaning.
https://www.amazon.ca/Humidifiers-TaoTr ... op?ie=UTF8
mindabsence wrote: Best money I've spent in years was putting on a furnace humidifier this year! When I added up the money I'd spent on all the portable units around the house, as well as the time spent filling and lugging water jugs to them all each day or two, weekly cleaning, etc. I wished I'd have done this YEARS ago. Just got the first set of bills after having it installed and there was no increase in water or electricity usage to run it. The model I bought has a bunch of great water saving features on it too which likely helps.
Member
Nov 23, 2004
316 posts
412 upvotes
Ontario
82 wrote: which whole house unit did you install? Would like to check it out but I still don't like the idea of moisture may trap in the HVAC pipes. A perfect recipe for mold when you have dusts built up in the pipe..
GeneralAire 1042. Seems to be one of the top most recommended units I see around the web, and I know quite a few people who own the same unit in their houses and it's been very reliable for all of them over a period of many, many years and I always like first hand feedback over that of a salesperson :) I also added the Watersavor addon control box, which was another $99 and came recommended by the HVAC company as making a good difference on reducing wasted water.

You don't need to worry about excess moisture in the pipes if you take care of it and make adjustments in the humidity setting as outdoor temperatures fluctuate. It's only people who crank humidity and/or think these things are hands-off to operate all winter that build up moisture in the pipes. Small adjustments in the humidity setting as temperatures outside rise and drop through certain incriments and you'll be fine. If moisture sitting in pipes was a problem these things probably wouldn't exist and everyone would have moldy pipes :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
10340 posts
1648 upvotes
thanks, I will check it out but I actually was told by my friend who worked in HVAC never install a whole home humidifier. He saw some very bad damages as a result (e.g one house had black mold behind the wall as moisture found its way thru the vapor barrier).

Make sure you power vac your pipe yearly.
https://www.indoordoctor.com/1670-2/
mindabsence wrote: GeneralAire 1042. Seems to be one of the top most recommended units I see around the web, and I know quite a few people who own the same unit in their houses and it's been very reliable for all of them over a period of many, many years and I always like first hand feedback over that of a salesperson :) I also added the Watersavor addon control box, which was another $99 and came recommended by the HVAC company as making a good difference on reducing wasted water.

You don't need to worry about excess moisture in the pipes if you take care of it and make adjustments in the humidity setting as outdoor temperatures fluctuate. It's only people who crank humidity and/or think these things are hands-off to operate all winter that build up moisture in the pipes. Small adjustments in the humidity setting as temperatures outside rise and drop through certain incriments and you'll be fine. If moisture sitting in pipes was a problem these things probably wouldn't exist and everyone would have moldy pipes :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
12981 posts
4085 upvotes
Ottawa
82 wrote: thanks, I will check it out but I actually was told by my friend who worked in HVAC never install a whole home humidifier.
When I was looking into a better humidifier solution, I was definitely worried about mould growth with a whole home humidifier. When I was getting our basement redone, I saw what was in our ducts and even if you vacuum them, there is a lot of dust that remains trapped in the nooks and crannies. So I decided to stick with portable units instead.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Member
Nov 23, 2004
316 posts
412 upvotes
Ontario
warpdrive wrote: When I was looking into a better humidifier solution, I was definitely worried about mould growth with a whole home humidifier. When I was getting our basement redone, I saw what was in our ducts and even if you vacuum them, there is a lot of dust that remains trapped in the nooks and crannies. So I decided to stick with portable units instead.
Proper maintenance and humidity levels will not cause conditions for mold to grow. It all comes down to whether the home owner keeps the humidifier adjusted according to temperature conditions and occasionally rinses the filter media, or turns it on in October, ignores it, and turns it off in spring. I did very extensive research before buying mine for the same reasons. You'd have to be fairly negligent to allow humidity to get to the point where mold will grow or thrive. Plus, most smart thermostats will allow you to set high and low humidity warnings, so you can know long before you get to the point of a problem if humidity is creeping up past safe levels.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 5, 2007
5340 posts
1154 upvotes
416
Nice. I just bought this Monday and arrived yesterday morning after my 3 year old humidifier crapped out. Good to see some great feedback for this unit.
Newbie
May 10, 2018
76 posts
37 upvotes
I bought the black one just for aesthetic purposes but this unit is definitely worth the money. Home Depot has crappier and uglier ones for almost double the price. This one is also super small and pretty silent and the hygrometer is relatively accurate too. Maybe 3-5 % off from a 60$ one I bought from Home Depot. It has a sensor that once it hits a certain percentage of humidity, it stops and then start when it goes below that. Overall, great find and deal. Thumbs up
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 6, 2010
3000 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
How many hours until the tank needs to be refilled? There are ones that have warm and cold output, this one is only cold...any major advantages to having the warm option?
Newbie
Feb 17, 2019
62 posts
172 upvotes
Looks like the monthly taotronics humidifier thread is here. Yes, it's a good humidifier. Yes, it will be this price again next month. I have 3 for us and the kids. Oldest unit is 3 years old still working fine

Top