Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TCL 55R617-CA\65R617-CA 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Television

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 11:08 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
Redmask wrote: I imported one from the US for our living room upstairs. It's very good bang for your buck and the builtin Roku OS is nice. Set is getting consistent platform updates and has support for both DV and HDR10. We have an OLED in the basement and obviously this doesn't come close to that but we're very happy with it overall. Some people have had panel issues but ours has been fine. RTings has more detailed reviews. We got the 55" Bestbuy for $500ish USD on sale, got lucky and didn't have to pay duty so it worked out to roughly $650 CDN at the time I think.
Did you just buy it from Bestbuy US site or did you have to drive it over or do a pickup from one of the border import places?
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote: Did you just buy it from Bestbuy US site or did you have to drive it over or do a pickup from one of the border import places?
We drove over and picked it up right from the BB at Walden Galleria. The US side of BB maintains a list of border pickup places and won't ship to them, its annoying. If you decide to do that just declare it, the duty is just the HST basically and sometimes you get lucky. CBSA guy had just upgraded his TV and was more interested in what we got, lol.
Oct 17, 2003
561 posts
177 upvotes
Fredericton
RedSwagDeals wrote: Isn't all the hype around these TVs in the US about how its the cheapest real 4K TV? Sells for like $400-$600 American. They are charging us $900 plus LOL why would i get one of these TVs when i can start getting into premium brands at that price? Seems like their benefit down south is no benefit here.....
The 6 series is a pretty good 4k TV. It falls somewhere between the Vizio M and P series TVs and is better than Samsung 7100 series TVs (that are more expensive).

This isn't a $400US TV, it's listed for $970US @ Bestbuy right now.

Comparisons with this year's Vizio M and Samsung 7100:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold*0.1

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare ... eshold*0.1
Feb 20, 2009
145 posts
73 upvotes
RedSwagDeals wrote: Isn't all the hype around these TVs in the US about how its the cheapest real 4K TV? Sells for like $400-$600 American. They are charging us $900 plus LOL why would i get one of these TVs when i can start getting into premium brands at that price? Seems like their benefit down south is no benefit here.....
The hype isn't about being the cheapest 4K TVs - it's about the performance-to-price ratio.
Nov 7, 2013
141 posts
133 upvotes
Halifax
For what it's worth the two sets linked by OP were judged as the "Best 4K TV on a Budget" by the wirecutter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-4k-tv/

American prices are $650 USD ($844 CAD) for the 55" and $1000 USD ($1299 CAD) for the 65", which is pretty much bang on with Amazon.ca's prices. Ignoring taxes, you actually save $50 by buying the 65" tv here.
Mar 10, 2017
151 posts
261 upvotes
deepfunkysoul wrote: 4k on my ps4 lolz Redflags is good for two things dealz and jokez.
really? you found that funny? not sure which part of my post made you think that I expect PS4 games to render at 4K natively.. don't quote me again lol.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
9394 wrote: Waiting for Vizio P55 to go back on sale @ $999. But this is tempting.
Even the m series vizio is a good choice if you want to spend a little less. It doesnt quite get as bright, and its just a bit short of wide color gamut but honestly its not that far off. On paper this tcl model seems like a better buy, but quality control is better on the vizios and costco sells them.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote: Even the m series vizio is a good choice if you want to spend a little less. It doesnt quite get as bright, and its just a bit short of wide color gamut but honestly its not that far off. On paper this tcl model seems like a better buy, but quality control is better on the vizios and costco sells them.
Thanks - but I've had my eye on the P55. No rush though, still happy with my 10 year old Samsung 1080p. Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 17, 2003
561 posts
177 upvotes
Fredericton
KevinC268 wrote: Even the m series vizio is a good choice if you want to spend a little less. It doesnt quite get as bright, and its just a bit short of wide color gamut but honestly its not that far off. On paper this tcl model seems like a better buy, but quality control is better on the vizios and costco sells them.
With all the issues being reported on reddit and AVS, not sure I'd say quality control is any better with Vizio. +1 for Costco warranty tho!
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
DarthV wrote: With all the issues being reported on reddit and AVS, not sure I'd say quality control is any better with Vizio. +1 for Costco warranty tho!
You can find issues with any tv model, what I look at is websites that have reviews from buyers. TCL may have improved this year, but I still would want the costco warranty!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
If only they have roku tv rather than their atrocious firmware.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
mymuro wrote: If only they have roku tv rather than their atrocious firmware.
I dont mind the vizio since it has chromecast built in and I own an apple tv, but yes the roku interface is much nicer and smoother.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
4320 posts
4919 upvotes
Ottawa
This TV is pretty interesting.

The fact that it's pretty close to the really nice Sony X900F is really fascinating. Especially at a fraction of the cost.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1184 posts
855 upvotes
Probably the best gaming TV in this price range. Great to see it in Canada now
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1730 posts
5253 upvotes
Montreal
Just curious what makes the TV a good deal?
Last year bought this Toshiba 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Chromecast Built-in Smart TV for 550$ with bonus google home from bestbuy
(https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... e-2122155/)

Other than the extra 5" is the build and visual dramatically more superior to justify the 300$(450$ if we add the google home).
Just curious, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1184 posts
855 upvotes
azn0Richard0 wrote: Just curious what makes the TV a good deal?
Last year bought this Toshiba 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Chromecast Built-in Smart TV for 550$ with bonus google home from bestbuy
(https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... e-2122155/)

Other than the extra 5" is the build and visual dramatically more superior to justify the 300$(450$ if we add the google home).
Just curious, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
Yes. That Toshiba is trash
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
I bought the 65R617 last night.. I have been looking at different models for awhile now
NU8000 - P Series 65" which is a unicorn + a few others..

Figured for the cost, it's worth a shot.. if the display looks like crap.. I can just send it back
Nov 17, 2017
307 posts
98 upvotes
Gta
I am also looking for a 65" 4k tv. I will not buy a tv from anywhere but Costco cuz of their return and warranty policy.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1730 posts
5253 upvotes
Montreal
colavs19 wrote: Yes. That Toshiba is trash
Able to elaborate? Unsure if trolling or serious, not sure what what advantages this tv offers compared to my current.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)