• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 9:56 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
849 posts
746 upvotes
GPS - error

[Amazon.ca] THINKCAR 1S - Vehicle OBD2 diagnostics dongle bluetooth - 33.94

Looks like an amazing discount and well reviewed.

I just recently bought and returned the Veepeak (hacked ELM clone) ...

Sold by Launch Tech who makes standalone OBD2 diag systems.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2339 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a bluetooth ELM ODB2 off ebay a couple of years ago for $5. Works well with Torque (Android) and another ODB2 reader I downloaded. I didn't really have any use for it except for playing around with torque and reading the gauges.

I did once use it to clear a fault code on my dad's 2009 Sonata which the dealer wanted $90 to do.

But what else do people use these things for?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3473 posts
3418 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
escape1975 wrote: I just recently bought and returned the Veepeak (hacked ELM clone) ...
curious why you didn't like the Veepeak. I've had one for 3 years and has been great for me
eugene188 wrote: But what else do people use these things for?
when I'm towing, I use it for monitoring the transmission fluid temperature. If I'm climbing a hill, the Trans temp will get too hot and I'll pull over and let it sit for a while. If the trans gets too hot, it can be damaged. I've also watched my instantaneous fuel mileage to make better driving habits
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Penalty Box
Oct 14, 2017
516 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
This is awesome! This is an up and coming OBD2 reader that is superior to the bluedriver!

Thanks OP.
May 19, 2004
150 posts
22 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Looks like a great idea, but the US$9.95 annual fee PER VEHICLE seems to make it too pricey for what it provides.
Someone please correct me if I am incorrect in how this works.
Last edited by buymore4less on Jan 18th, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 22, 2015
429 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto, ON
unless it has Bi-direction capabilities.. I really don't see how this is different from the eBay ELMs
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2339 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa
raskal wrote: curious why you didn't like the Veepeak. I've had one for 3 years and has been great for me

when I'm towing, I use it for monitoring the transmission fluid temperature. If I'm climbing a hill, the Trans temp will get too hot and I'll pull over and let it sit for a while. If the trans gets too hot, it can be damaged. I've also watched my instantaneous fuel mileage to make better driving habits
Yea, I guess the car only tells you the engine temp, not the transmission temp. I wonder if I could find the dial for that in Torque.

I used to use my ODB reader to tell me instantaneous fuel rate, and average, and total used. But then it was too much trouble to load the app, wait for the ODB to connect. Even at like 5-10 seconds, I just can't be bothered now.

But the thing is, those cheapo ELM ODB2 readers on ebay can do all this too.
Mar 20, 2016
71 posts
27 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
eugene188 wrote: I got a bluetooth ELM ODB2 off ebay a couple of years ago for $5. Works well with Torque (Android) and another ODB2 reader I downloaded. I didn't really have any use for it except for playing around with torque and reading the gauges.

I did once use it to clear a fault code on my dad's 2009 Sonata which the dealer wanted $90 to do.

But what else do people use these things for?
They can be used to diagnose the reason the light is on.

I recently used one with torque to figure out if my catalytic or o2 sensors were going bad. You monitor sensor voltage to see if the cat is working or the sensors are bad.

Can also use it to read fuel trims to see if there is others issues with the engine.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2339 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa
monkey0013 wrote: They can be used to diagnose the reason the light is on.

I recently used one with torque to figure out if my catalytic or o2 sensors were going bad. You monitor sensor voltage to see if the cat is working or the sensors are bad.

Can also use it to read fuel trims to see if there is others issues with the engine.
Yea, I vaguely remember my ELM ODB2 from ebay could do this stuff. So why the need to spend over $30 on another one?
Mar 20, 2016
71 posts
27 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
eugene188 wrote:
Yea, I vaguely remember my ELM ODB2 from ebay could do this stuff. So why the need to spend over $30 on another one?

That I am not sure of. Perhaps there is a quality difference for the adapter to sync to specific software.

I know the BlueDriver device only works with it's software. I am not sure if this would be the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3473 posts
3418 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
eugene188 wrote: Yea, I guess the car only tells you the engine temp, not the transmission temp. I wonder if I could find the dial for that in Torque.
I had to input a calculation in Torque for it to read trans temp. It can do both at the torque converter and the pan temp.

to a search for your car (make/model) to see if someone has the calculation required for those temps

my calculation looks like this ((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Feb 2, 2011
204 posts
58 upvotes
New Westminster
raskal wrote: I had to input a calculation in Torque for it to read trans temp. It can do both at the torque converter and the pan temp.

to a search for your car (make/model) to see if someone has the calculation required for those temps

my calculation looks like this ((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) – 400)/10)
Kindly care to elaborate on the formula?
I'm considering on older van for camping and picking up this as a diagnostic tool
Jun 28, 2015
219 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eugene188 wrote: Yea, I guess the car only tells you the engine temp, not the transmission temp. I wonder if I could find the dial for that in Torque.

I used to use my ODB reader to tell me instantaneous fuel rate, and average, and total used. But then it was too much trouble to load the app, wait for the ODB to connect. Even at like 5-10 seconds, I just can't be bothered now.

But the thing is, those cheapo ELM ODB2 readers on ebay can do all this too.
Trucks that are meant for towing (maybe just diesels?) have a transmission temp gauge, and a separate radiator for the transmission.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
849 posts
746 upvotes
GPS - error
raskal wrote: curious why you didn't like the Veepeak. I've had one for 3 years and has been great for me
When I had the car turned off and left it plugged in, then went to start an hour later with my
remote start the car just turned off (multiple times) and left a U0100 code ...

Later I had it in, went shopping, came back and started the car by hand this time,
and it just died a second later, logging the same code, including a CEL ...

I’ve never seen that code before, ever, and not again since removing the dongle ...
It was fine when communicating with my cell, while car was already running, or ignition on, engine off.

For some reason it didn’t like to be left in the car for an “extended” period, more than a few minutes.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
849 posts
746 upvotes
GPS - error
Price of this is similar to the Veepeak so I figured I’d give this a try ...

Veepeak and all others are simply really old ELM clones,
except the Veepeak I guess is a better 1.4 clone ...

I think Bluedriver is a proper 2.2 version with firmware updates, but it’s $100 ...