• Jan 29th, 2019 8:29 pm
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3682 posts
3629 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:45 pm

Yea... it's cheaper but they are NOT the same. Yours is made in china and doesnt have the same functions, display, etc. It's a cheaper alternative for those who want to save 20 odd dollars (at 10 cup size) with basic functions.
zzzz24 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 3:09 pm
Umm it basically is the EXACT same thing actually. It just doesn't have the display, it has ALL of the same functions. The display, which in reality is not really necessary when you are cooking rice, as you can look in the manual for how long each function will take and you will become accustomed to that pretty easily.
Yes, it's not made in Japan, whoopy doo. Had it for years now and its performed just fine.
Don't jinx your Made in China cooker now.

I'll pay the extra $20 for Made in Japan all day, no brains required.

Look at Zoji cookers, MIC and MIJ are $75-$100 apart for the "exact same thing" //s
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11522 posts
1519 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
er34er34 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 4:14 pm
Don't jinx your Made in China cooker now.

I'll pay the extra $20 for Made in Japan all day, no brains required.

Look at Zoji cookers, MIC and MIJ are $75-$100 apart for the "exact same thing" //s
RIGHT. It's like comparing a Ferrari with a Pinto... but becuz both are driving at the speed limit of 60mph they are "basically" the same. Lolz.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Oct 17, 2016
52 posts
41 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 5:26 pm
You sure?? Says $169.99, 22 bux more and shows zero stock in Toronto region. Says item is discontinued.
Yeah mine is showing the store on Shepard. I think it depends on where you're located.

Off topic, I'm a student and my rice cooker cost me $65 bucks. For me is does it cook the rice with consistency and how long does it take? Honestly, all the other bells whistles I will never use. I get the fact that some people really care about where it's made etc etc.
Feb 21, 2014
420 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Made in Japan or China really doesn't make any difference with brands like these also is very vague. I am willing to bet a lot of the "Japanese" ones are made with parts sourced from China and vice versa. The made in part just describes the place of final assembly. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3682 posts
3629 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pagefaultca wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 9:19 pm
Made in Japan or China really doesn't make any difference with brands like these also is very vague. I am willing to bet a lot of the "Japanese" ones are made with parts sourced from China and vice versa. The made in part just describes the place of final assembly. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Manufacturing isn't just about the individual parts. Even assuming the parts are 100% identical, fit and finish, quality control all contribute to overall reliability of a product. A product is only as good as the weakest link. This is where Japan-made products excel.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11522 posts
1519 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
er34er34 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 10:03 pm
Even assuming the parts are 100% identical, fit and finish, quality control all contribute to overall reliability of a product. A product is only as good as the weakest link. This is where Japan-made products excel.
Also chinese stainless steel sucks balls. Chromium is what gives stainless steel its properties (resistance to corrosion and oxidation) and apparently chinese manufacturers are not consistent with their chromium composition. Therefore, even stainless steel in china rusts over time aka chromium oxidation. Tiger rice cookers use stainless steel parts. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 10, 2003
480 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond
I have the 5-cup model, love it.

Use it to cook oatmeal, set the timer and it is ready when I wake up.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4036 posts
455 upvotes
Isn't this basically regular price? Like it says it's $20 off, not really a huge deal. In fact, it looks like $147 is the regular price at Bestbuy.

Is there a 4 or 5 cup version going for a good price? This 10 cup one is massive.
Jul 24, 2014
147 posts
103 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Would it be a better investment to get an instant pot rather than a dedicated rice cooker? I believe there’s a rice setting on instant pots as well.

Does the rice turn out much better with these dedicated rice cookers?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5912 posts
160 upvotes
Scarborough
Just from my experience, I've used a rice cooker for my whole life. We have and instant pot and my mom wanted to use it as a rice cooker when our non stick inner pot was on its last legs. The 1st time we made rice it didn't come out nice so a few weeks later we tried again (thinking maybe it was a one off) but still again it didn't come out as nice as our rice cooker.

That's just my experience.
seeparks wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 4:22 pm
Would it be a better investment to get an instant pot rather than a dedicated rice cooker? I believe there’s a rice setting on instant pots as well.

Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1077 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
pagefaultca wrote:
Nope. There's always a big gap, this applies for everything electronics, car, house appliances.. even though they got the same brands, even though some parts are from China. Like some one said above, I too pay extra $20 without wearing my brain.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3682 posts
3629 upvotes
Toronto, ON
seeparks wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 4:22 pm

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2167 posts
820 upvotes
pagefaultca wrote:
Have you ever been in Japan? Once you've been there you would really understand why one values made-in-japan products. It's a grade above made-in-usa or made-in-canada! And most of the stuffs they exports to the outside world are what they considered low-grade, not worth using by Japaneses.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!