• Dec 13th, 2017 12:03 am
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham
jasonchewy wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 12:37 pm
I believe one thing about the Tile is that everybody that uses the Tile is helping others in updating the other Tile's location.
So more people using it, the more likely your lost Tile will get picked up by someone else close by.
Yes, the chances are low, but better than solely relying on your own phone to do the updating.
In theory this [the group thing] is the advantage of using these devices. If TILE were smart, they should have a bunch of giveaways to get people to use them, that way it becomes more effective as the group size increases and that way more people are more likely to buy and use them and that way they become more effective....and so on. By charging a lot of upfront, no one buys it which means it doesn't work if no one has them.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 5, 2006
598 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
SleepyEyez wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:55 am
Is this the best solution for children?
I've been trying to find something similar for this purpose as well, but can't seem to find one that's simple enough.
I mean the tile could technically serve this purpose, but neither the app, nor the tile itself are geared for this.

All I need is if they wonder away from my phone far enough (out of the bluetooth range), I get alerts (or the tile vibrates then eventually beeps).
Apr 29, 2014
632 posts
122 upvotes
Pickering, ON
King31 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:59 am
I'm not really sure what you are trying to use it for?
If they were kidnapped it would only tell you the last place they were when you were in range. But I mean it may help you find them if they got lost in the mall.
kids disappear very quickly in a mall... all you can do is listen for them crying after not seeing you for a while.
needybot wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 1:54 pm
No. Get them a cheap android smartphone with an annual plan if you want something for more serious tracking. Android has a built-in tracking feature for the phone... so if the kids have the phone you know where your kids are. Petro Canada has an annual mobility plan for 100 bucks that your can purchase directly from Petro Canada gas stations (added benefit of pay-as-you-go is that the kids can't take you to the cleaners with phone charges). All you need to do is keep the receipt and SIM and call the number on it to activate the plan.

(more details)
https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/anytime-plan.aspx
Thank you I will check it out.. or something small enough to hide in their pocket.. the issue is this is for toddler
jasonchewy wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:18 pm
I've been trying to find something similar for this purpose as well, but can't seem to find one that's simple enough.
I mean the tile could technically serve this purpose, but neither the app, nor the tile itself are geared for this.

All I need is if they wonder away from my phone far enough (out of the bluetooth range), I get alerts (or the tile vibrates then eventually beeps).
I was thinking if i could achieve this with a smartwatch or a fitness tracer with GPS. I dont know if they provide live update.
Mar 5, 2006
598 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
SleepyEyez wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 4:29 pm
I was thinking if i could achieve this with a smartwatch or a fitness tracer with GPS. I dont know if they provide live update.
I'm reading several of these other tracker device has a out of range/geofence/disconnected alerts. Just that the Tile doesn't have it.
Even that Nut 2 posted earlier has that feature. I might just get a Trackr Bravo a try, worse is I return it on BB. But the bad reviews I see on it is worrying.
Aug 28, 2006
837 posts
89 upvotes
Scarborough
gr8dlr wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:12 pm
In theory this [the group thing] is the advantage of using these devices. If TILE were smart, they should have a bunch of giveaways to get people to use them, that way it becomes more effective as the group size increases and that way more people are more likely to buy and use them and that way they become more effective....and so on. By charging a lot of upfront, no one buys it which means it doesn't work if no one has them.
I believe they did do this at the very beginning. Or like close to free (just pay shipping) type deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
1010 posts
500 upvotes
King31 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 11:59 am
I'm not really sure what you are trying to use it for?
If they were kidnapped it would only tell you the last place they were when you were in range. But I mean it may help you find them if they got lost in the mall.
Back in the day that would have been useful:
https://www.snopes.com/photos/people/ma ... ildren.asp

Not so much after the clampdown though...
Nov 2, 2012
13 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
chatbox wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 2:03 pm
The world / environment certainly doesn't need more disposable consumer electronics.

As such, I consider this a rather fundamental design flaw, and an environmentally unethical company.
They have a return/recycle program in the US which is starting soon in Canada. I use them for my keys/wallet for two years now, and they're useful. The batteries last about a year and a half depending on use.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5222 posts
833 upvotes
GVR
anutty wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 5:22 pm
They have a return/recycle program in the US which is starting soon in Canada. I use them for my keys/wallet for two years now, and they're useful. The batteries last about a year and a half depending on use.
Do we get any portion of the purchase price back for returning the unit (e.g. CAD$30 back)? Or are people basically signing for $50 for about 18 month of use per tile...subscription-like basis?
Mar 26, 2007
662 posts
39 upvotes
this garbage sounds like vaporware. $45 for a disposable key finder?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14887 posts
18754 upvotes
ONTARIO
Anyone still using the iHere 3.0? I remember back in May it was posted on here for $8.99.
Mine still works great and it has a rechargeable battery.

I just can't justify spending so much for a Tile when you can't even recharge it and you're just expected to buy more when it dies.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3522 posts
457 upvotes
Windsor
I bought some of these earlier in the year and have been pretty disappointed with them - I doubt very much I will be replacing them when the battery dies.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4744 posts
868 upvotes
Markham
G77 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 6:15 pm
I bought some of these earlier in the year and have been pretty disappointed with them - I doubt very much I will be replacing them when the battery dies.
What sort of disappointment? Is it related to mass usage to make the product work better?

I think this sort of idea is good for tracking seniors with Alzheimer/dementia. Put one in their wallet or attach it to their shoes or something.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1097 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Doesn't 44.99$ the regular price for the new pro?
I have got one for my keys, cool thing