• Oct 24th, 2018 9:19 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2625 posts
317 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] TP Link EAP 225v3 $79

This is for anyone looking to buy a few APs, the EAP series have been great and comparable to the unfi series according to smallnetbuilder.

I have been using them for the past year and they are great, debating if i want to swap them for the newer v3 model to get 802.11k/v
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 24th, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer to Amazon Canada
25 replies
Jan 21, 2003
239 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks I’ve been looking at these too at this price. Do you know whether 802.11k/v makes a significant difference to roaming performance?

I have the EAP 245s and I generally really like them, but sometimes there’s a lag on some devices when roaming to a different AP.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2887 posts
1205 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Man not bad. I was hoping something from ubiquiti would go on sale but this might have to do.
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1706 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
While on paper the specs may look similar the biggest advantage that Ubiquity brings to the table is the community support. It's next to impossible to get decent support/advice for these TP Link devices, especially if the devices are older, and especially if you're looking for more advanced setups. On the Ubiquity side, chances are, if you can think it, someone has done it and written a guide for it.
Jan 29, 2005
384 posts
57 upvotes
Thanks, this is interesting. I thought only ubiquity was the option for enterprise ap's for home use.

I see newegg has a refurbished v2 for about $55. Other than the 802.11k/v roaming support (which ah take some time for clients to support) at there any other differences?

Edit the v2 and to be a 1200 (no mimo. Odd change)

On the roaming note, do mesh systems have a proprietary implementation of the ap-side mechanisms to kick clients to others ap's?
Last edited by edbert on Oct 23rd, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2625 posts
317 upvotes
edbert wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 2:53 am
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/what- ... ned.30689/

This may help with understanding sticky clients
Yeah that's why I'm debating if I want to swap my APs, I've been okay with the APs dropping clients based on RSSI value and that seems to work 99% of the time but only by setting the same channel on each AP, otherwise it would disconnect and reconnect to the same AP a few times until it finally moved to a closer AP.

Actually maybe I should revisit if it works better now, have touched my setup since I installed it other than firmware updates.
Apr 3, 2013
488 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 4:03 pm
Yeah that's why I'm debating if I want to swap my APs, I've been okay with the APs dropping clients based on RSSI value and that seems to work 99% of the time but only by setting the same channel on each AP, otherwise it would disconnect and reconnect to the same AP a few times until it finally moved to a closer AP.

Actually maybe I should revisit if it works better now, have touched my setup since I installed it other than firmware updates.
Was about to ask who Fred was Face With Tears Of Joy

Does anybody have any blazing good experiences with these? I've done some >100-client setups with UniFi before; how does TP-Link stuff compare?
I know it's not a valid comparison, but their UI looks janky AF in comparison. What is functionality like?
Last edited by Injust on Oct 23rd, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2013
167 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I just installed 3 of these in my house/backyard. Certainly significantly better than the two R7000's I was running before. Jury is still out on roaming though. Going to read the link above.

The Omada controller is fairly easy to use, albeit not the nicest looking.

Can't comment on comparisons to Ubiquiti, the EAPv2 and v3 got rave reviews on SMB, but they didn't test roaming on the v3 as the reviewer only had 1 and the v2 did not have any roaming ability.
Jan 29, 2005
384 posts
57 upvotes
Roaming is definitely a feature which is not well discussed. Even on mesh configurations it's not clear if it's actually improved - the biggest benefit is that the AP's in a mesh setup communicate to each other (in theory). I read the article on AiMesh and SMB and it was not pretty.
A big part of the problem is the clients are clingy.

It looks like client support (at least android) 802.11k/v are a ways out still, so it's unclear if anything will solve this. I read that ubiquity's newer AP's don't advertise roaming anymore either.

A neat solution is mentioned in the article I linked. TLDR - it basically suggests that you set the minimum transfer rate of your router to something reasonably high, so that when the signal gets weak, the router kicks the client off. Now this effectively limits the range of your router, but that's sort of what you want...assuming there's another AP nearby :)
Last edited by edbert on Oct 23rd, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 3, 2013
488 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
edbert wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 5:18 pm
--snip--
It looks like 802.11k/v are a ways out still, so it's unclear if anything will solve this. I read that ubiquity's newer AP's don't advertise roaming anymore either.
--snip--
Do you have a link for this information? I've been playing around with Ubiquiti's equipment for some time now and their roaming has been solid.
Sep 27, 2013
256 posts
67 upvotes
total newbie here can anyone explain whats difference between AP and router ? can i use it as a router? means just basic wifi connection for home use for 5 to 10 device?

answering my own question above i found answer Here
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2588 posts
336 upvotes
These look really promising.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2625 posts
317 upvotes
[quote=Injust post_id=29978991 time=1540325633 user_id=620271]
Was about to ask who Fred was 😂

Does anybody have any blazing good experiences with these? I've done some >100-client setups with UniFi before; how does TP-Link stuff compare?
I know it's not a valid comparison, but their UI looks janky AF in comparison. What is functionality like?
[/quote]

Last year I was dead set on the Unfi Lite to complement my EdgeRouter, the v2 where on sale so took a gamble with easy of return from Amazon. I think they are great and read a few comparison saying these performed better in some aspects than Unfi.

Never used Unfi APs so my opinion maybe biased, in terms of functionally they meet my needs. It has RSSI to boot clients off and support VLANS, it supports portal for guest access that should be good enough for the average home.
Apr 3, 2013
488 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
JonSnow wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 6:32 pm

Last year I was dead set on the Unfi Lite to complement my EdgeRouter, the v2 where on sale so took a gamble with easy of return from Amazon. I think they are great and read a few comparison saying these performed better in some aspects than Unfi.

Never used Unfi APs so my opinion maybe biased, in terms of functionally they meet my needs. It has RSSI to boot clients off and support VLANS, it supports portal for guest access that should be good enough for the average home.
Yikes the UI looks like an exact copy of the UniFi one...
I think I'd still stick with the UAPs, especially if you have high client load.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)