Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch, 3-Way, 1-Pack, White (HS210 KIT) - $54.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2019 11:32 pm
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch, 3-Way, 1-Pack, White (HS210 KIT) - $54.99

This is the well reviewed TP-Link 3-way smart switch at the historic low price. As previously stated, you can use the 2 switches that come in the package as independent 3-way switches; thus you are getting 2 for the price of 1. Still unsure why they package it this way but it works out for people who like to research since it makes it much more cost effective.

UPDATE 2018-12-26: Amazon is selling this as a Deal Of The Day for $54.99! A new all time low.

UPDATE 2018-12-14: Amazon dropped the price to $64.00 and then around 6:00am, raised it to it's current price of $68.98. I didn't buy though because yesterday I bought it for $64.99 during the 12% eBates promo.

UPDATE 2018-12-12: Looks like Amazon has matched the price of $64.99. Hooray for competition!

UPDATE 2018-12-12: It would appear tvisforme has inadvertently answered the question of why TP-Link includes two 3-way switches even though they work independently in two separate 3-way installations. He answered with the following when spotts01 said he had a problem with his setup:

"What happens if you put both TP-Link switches on the same circuit? I have not encountered the issue you described in our setup (with one TP-Link and one conventional switch), but I have read reports where older or malfunctioning conventional three-way switches can cause issues when used with the TP-Link switch."

So, if you have issues with your installation, you may need to use both of the included smart 3-way switches. Obviously you could also replace one of the 3-way switches with a cheaper conventional 3-way switch.

UPDATE 2018-12-12: Amazon dropped it by a whopping $0.02 :) However, you can now buy it for $64.99 with free shipping from BASS Electronics. They have pretty good ratings plus you have Amazon to back you if something goes wrong. They are not one of those Just Launched outfits so it might be worth the risk/discount. Just click on the different buying options to see them.

UPDATE 2018-12-09: Whoa, price dropped even further! It's now lower than the all time low at $69.00! Better get it if you need it since you won't know how long the price will last with Amazon's dynamic pricing.
Last edited by Britex on Dec 26th, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.
288 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1367 posts
631 upvotes
Ontario
I can vouch for these switches and the "2 for the price of 1" aspect where you only use one of these for each 3-way configuration.

They're great switches and this is a great price.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
So if you only need one of the two switches to install it for one 3-way setup, does that mean you could easily split this with another person?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
hmm... tempting but I have wemo, CE already.. do I want to add another brand.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
malaujai wrote: So if you only need one of the two switches to install it for one 3-way setup, does that mean you could easily split this with another person?
Yes, because they work independently.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Britex wrote: Yes, because they work independently.
Is it pretty easy to install? And are they bulky on the back side?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1577 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
May be a silly question, but what do you guys use these switches for?

Im tempted to get it for the novelty, but not sure practically speaking what I could use it for exactly
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: May be a silly question, but what do you guys use these switches for?

Im tempted to get it for the novelty, but not sure practically speaking what I could use it for exactly
Some people are pretty hardcore on the smart home integration and automation... Stuff like having the lights (or a subset of them) automatically turn on when you get home... Turning lights on/off via an app or voice assistant, etc...

For me it's mainly because we're lazy
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Wiseman wrote: Is it pretty easy to install? And are they bulky on the back side?
I've only just placed an order so I cannot say from first hand experience. However, if it's anything like other smart switches, or a typical 3 way switch, it should be fairly straight forward. Plus TP-Link usually gives fairly detailed instructions. Same goes for whether it is bulky at the back. Didn't see people complaining about that so I can only assume it's not much bigger and should fit into a normal switch box.

I'm certain it's fairly simple to change an existing 3-way with one of these, however, if you've never done it before then you might want to consider having an electrician do it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Britex wrote: I've only just placed an order so I cannot say from first hand experience. However, if it's anything like other smart switches, or a typical 3 way switch, it should be fairly straight forward. Plus TP-Link usually gives fairly detailed instructions. Same goes for whether it is bulky at the back. Didn't see people complaining about that so I can only assume it's not much bigger and should fit into a normal switch box.

I'm certain it's fairly simple to change an existing 3-way with one of these, however, if you've never done it before then you might want to consider having an electrician do it.
I've done about 9 one way smart switches around the home. Never a 3 way, that's why I ask..and I'll be combining this switch with a multi gang box with other smart switches. Hopefully everything fits!
Nov 1, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
Britex wrote: I've only just placed an order so I cannot say from first hand experience. However, if it's anything like other smart switches, or a typical 3 way switch, it should be fairly straight forward. Plus TP-Link usually gives fairly detailed instructions. Same goes for whether it is bulky at the back. Didn't see people complaining about that so I can only assume it's not much bigger and should fit into a normal switch box.

I have these and just installed them. They are no more bulkier than other wifi switches. That being said, it’s definitely an art to make all the wires fit in behind the switch, with all the connectors and the wires being 14 AWG. The key things also is to make sure you have a neutral wire in the box or it’s not going to work. For me only one of the two 3-way switches had the neutral wire.
Also I had to fit two in a 2-Gang box and needed a spacer since I couldn’t make all the wires fit and keep the switches sitting flush against the wall.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: May be a silly question, but what do you guys use these switches for?

At first it may seem like just a novelty. That is until you forget to turn off the lights and now it's a simple matter of telling the assistant to turn them off. As well, from the app, it also lets you know whether the lights are on or off so you don't even have to be present to check or turn them on/off. What does all this boil down to? Don't buy smart devices. Then you won't miss something you never had :)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill

All smart switches are pretty bulky, I've never seen any thinner than 1.25"
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Wiseman wrote: I've done about 9 one way smart switches around the home. Never a 3 way, that's why I ask..and I'll be combining this switch with a multi gang box with other smart switches. Hopefully everything fits!
If you've changed 1-way switches then very likely you'll have no problems with this 3-way switch. It's pretty much 1-for-1 with the exception of requiring a neutral wire. So I guess the real question is the size - hopefully someone who has installed one can give you a better description.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1394 posts
783 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: I've done about 9 one way smart switches around the home. Never a 3 way, that's why I ask..and I'll be combining this switch with a multi gang box with other smart switches. Hopefully everything fits!
Good practice is to take a quick picture of the wiring on your existing switch for reference before you take it out for the smart switch. 3 way aren't overly complex, but there is more to it than a standard switch.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I put all my exterior lights on tp-link switches but have never thought of any practical reason to put any on inside lights.

The bottom line with home automation is that half the time the triggers you set up, you don't actually want the behavior. Use of lights inside is too situational... half the time it might do what you want, the other half the time you might be turning off lights that turn on automatically because you don't actually want them on.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1394 posts
783 upvotes
malaujai wrote: So if you only need one of the two switches to install it for one 3-way setup, does that mean you could easily split this with another person?
I'm not sure about this. If you have 1 standard manual 3 way switch, and 1 TP link 3way installed, You could potentially confuse the TP-link on-off state by flipping the other manual switch.
I don't have one, so just theory crafting.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1367 posts
631 upvotes
Ontario
So long as you've got clearly marked Neutral wiring, and pay attention to the way the existing switch utilizes the traveller wires, you should be fine. I ran into problems with my home because only some of my gang boxes had a neutral wire present. :(
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1367 posts
631 upvotes
Ontario
Drizzt wrote: I'm not sure about this. If you have 1 standard manual 3 way switch, and 1 TP link 3way installed, You could potentially confuse the TP-link on-off state by flipping the other manual switch.
I don't have one, so just theory crafting.
Nah, I've got them setup this way, the TP-Link works fine with just one switch and another "regular" 3-way switch.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)