Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Powerline Adapter - $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2016 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
May 11, 2016
127 posts
117 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Powerline Adapter - $39.99

Deal Link:
I was planning on purchasing these for my parents but they're moving so I'm holding off for now. My friend uses these for his parents and they're great for continuity if your parents don't want to deal with manually connecting to routers. They're usually around $55.
12 replies
Jun 3, 2016
275 posts
148 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
These work really great however my house is about 5 years old as said the PowerLine structure in your home will affect the quality so not sure how well it will work with older PowerLine wiring, I wonder how well they work if at all in a condo or bulging.
Jan 10, 2016
328 posts
52 upvotes
Markham, ON
This starter kit came with 2.
Can I buy 2 sets of this and have 3 locations in the house?
Oct 17, 2012
109 posts
104 upvotes
ValueInvestor wrote: This starter kit came with 2.
Can I buy 2 sets of this and have 3 locations in the house?
yes you can.....you can add as many as you like to the parent adapter which is connected to the modem/router.

Try getting same brand/model to get less connectivity issues...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1943 posts
171 upvotes
irock79 wrote: yes you can.....you can add as many as you like to the parent adapter which is connected to the modem/router.

Try getting same brand/model to get less connectivity issues...
So I guess I can plug a switch into these to connect tv/IPTV/etc to the same adapter?
Jun 3, 2016
275 posts
148 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
Kaz wrote: So I guess I can plug a switch into these to connect tv/IPTV/etc to the same adapter?
Yes you can I have a 8 port switch connected works fine
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
3403 posts
974 upvotes
Vaughan
renovision wrote: Methinks the 3 unit 1200 passthrough model is the best deal here unless overkill.... Just under $90 >> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AWR ... YIK6Y9EEQB
3-port, not 3 units. You still only get 2 adapters.

Edit:
I've used both the TP-Link AV500 and AV1200 models.
I had a 100Mbps connection with the AV500 adapters and got around 40-50 Mbps on my desktop one room over.
It might just be my house but the connection dropped every now and then. Not often enough for me to care that much so I used it for over a year.
I switched to the AV1200 since I was switching to Gigabit internet and got 100-125Mbps on the desktop. Then I switched to Gigabit internet and I was getting about 250-300 Mbps. I decided to just find a way to connect directly with a long ethernet cable and now I'm getting 800 Mbps on the desktop.
Also... with the AV1200 adapters, you can only plug it in one way since it has the 'ground' prong and it will block a portion of the other outlet.

Still using an AV500 adapter for a comp in the basement and it gets around 40 Mbps but it's going through a surge protector power strip on one end. You shouldn't do that as it will create a lot of interference but I don't have a choice.
Dec 13, 2013
213 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Yes... sorry for any and all confusion... 3 ports X 2 units ...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
This is at best an ok price for a pair of powerline ethernet adapters. Check out the past deals. A hot price is under $30.

A pair of powerline ethernet adapters operating between two points in your house is basically transparent to the rest of your network, just as if you had stretched an ethernet cable between those two points. You can use them together with hubs, switches, WiFi range extenders and any other accessories that connect to ethernet.

There have been many discussions on getting the best performance out of your powerline ethernet adapters. Here's one from last week: how-improve-powerline-speeds-2007305/ . Basically you can expect a best possible connection speed of about 1/3 to 1/2 of the headline value, and an actual data throughput of about 1/3 to 1/2 of that due to high protocol overhead. If you don't get the placement optimized, it can be much worse than that. Once you do get them placed correctly, the speed tends to stay fairly consistent. It's no better than WiFi typically, but free from outside interference.
Feb 16, 2003
762 posts
167 upvotes
Just a word of warning, i have these and they disconnect randomly almost everyday. You can do a google search and lots of threads on TP-Link. The only way to avoid that is to do a loop ping to your router or have constant network activity (chat box or stock market).
WTB:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
I bought this set boxing day 2014 for $29. No time machine, but FYI. I do think $39 is the lowest I've seen since.

I use these to connect my router to my main desktop. I've had it go down once in the year and half I've used it (bad timing too since I was away from home, and trying to remote access the desktop).
Having said that, I was thinking of giving it up and running a long ethernet cable. Streams sometimes have to buffer when streaming from the desktop.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)