Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

TP-Link Smart Dimmer Switch, 1-Pack, White (HS220) - $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2018 8:57 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1367 posts
631 upvotes
Ontario

[Amazon.ca] TP-Link Smart Dimmer Switch, 1-Pack, White (HS220) - $49.99

This was down at $59.99 earlier this week, now it's down even lower to $49.99! Lowest ever according to the trio of dromedaries.
73 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1243 posts
450 upvotes
Has anyone tried TP-LINK switches ? Ive been eyeing the wemo dimmer switch Read some slightly negative reviews on the Tp-link. Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Price match at best buy for an extra 1 dollar off :p
Sep 17, 2008
829 posts
320 upvotes
BC
I already have HS200 installed which is non-dimmable, does this dimming model requires additional wire or it just simply control the voltage output to adjust the brightness? I am thinking about switching the bedroom HS200 to this.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2460 posts
2941 upvotes
Laputa
lyh_chnxm wrote: I already have HS200 installed which is non-dimmable, does this dimming model requires additional wire or it just simply control the voltage output to adjust the brightness? I am thinking about switching the bedroom HS200 to this.
According to the video on Amazon, it requires a dimmable bulb... so i dont think it will control the voltage

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Sep 17, 2008
829 posts
320 upvotes
BC
Millenniunn wrote: According to the video on Amazon, it requires a dimmable bulb... so i dont think it will control the voltage
Dimmable light bulb is easy to get and that is to ensure the light bulb can work at the lower voltage. I look at the installation video, it looks the wires are exactly the same as HS200.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5504 posts
690 upvotes
Limit of 1.
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lyh_chnxm wrote: Dimmable light bulb is easy to get and that is to ensure the light bulb can work at the lower voltage. I look at the installation video, it looks the wires are exactly the same as HS200.
LED bulbs don’t actually dim with lower voltage, it quickly goes between on and off to simulate a lower light intensity.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
I'm just wondering, why would someone need to dim their lights via smartphone? And as for on/off, wouldn't a $10 timer accomplish the same thing?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Toukolou wrote: I'm just wondering, why would someone need to dim their lights via smartphone? And as for on/off, wouldn't a $10 timer accomplish the same thing?
Automation, scheduling lights to come on at sunset and off at bedtime, or when you're away on vacation. I'll be using IFTTT to dim/off the lights when a plex movie or show is started and fade on once the stream is paused or ends.

Grabbed 4 of these from best buy with a price match ($48.97 each) and added on a $29.99 google home mini.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
mapleleafs89 wrote: Automation, scheduling lights to come on at sunset and off at bedtime, or when you're away on vacation. I'll be using IFTTT to dim/off the lights when a plex movie or show is started and fade on once the stream is paused or ends.

Grabbed 4 of these from best buy with a price match ($48.97 each) and added on a $29.99 google home mini.
But can't you do both of those things with these? And at a fraction of the cost? I mean, those "fade on/off" effects are cool and all, but kinda seems like a waste. Just sayin...

"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Banned
Jul 11, 2015
21 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
What's the difference between VHS and 4k? Both show picture.
There is an argument for everything. 2018 and people want convenience; enter home automation.

Will I swear everytime my GE Smart recepticle disconnects and I have to reconnect it? Yes. But it works 9/10 times, and that's the standard for 2018.

In 2025 this hopefully be an issue Grinning Face
Feb 19, 2009
300 posts
146 upvotes
puroeuro wrote: Has anyone tried TP-LINK switches ? Ive been eyeing the wemo dimmer switch Read some slightly negative reviews on the Tp-link. Thoughts?
No issues. I have the regular TP-link switch and their mini smart outlet. Using it for 6 months. Make sure the switch has decent wifi coverage. The TP-Link switch and outlet are really fast in response; I have it turning off at 11pm and it's right on the hour. Using Google Assistant to turn on and off the lights is instant as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Fantastic deal. Unfortunately, I bought mine at 59.99 and they don't do price adjustments. Kept it anyways as I had installed it already. Wife complained the living room LEDs were too bright and wanted to dim them. Works great for my purposes.

You can dim the lights manually via the switch on the wall. Don't have to do it through the app but if you are sitting down and want the lights to dim or go bright, you can use the app or Google home to do it.

I have a few of their switches and plugs. All work great and have had zero issues with them. They have come in handy for when out of town or when you forget to turn on your lights when heading out the door. Programming them is a plus as you can set them to pretty much whatever schedule you want. Helps reduce energy costs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
rancid82 wrote:

You can dim the lights manually via the switch on the wall. Don't have to do it through the app but if you are sitting down and want the lights to dim or go bright, you can use the app or Google home to do it.

I have a few of their switches and plugs. All work great and have had zero issues with them. They have come in handy for when out of town or when you forget to turn on your lights when heading out the door. Programming them is a plus as you can set them to pretty much whatever schedule you want. Helps reduce energy costs.
But isn't that a really expensive way to dim the lights?

By the time you recoup the upfront cost for the switches via your reduced energy costs, your house will qualify as a century home.
Lucky
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Toukolou wrote: But isn't that a really expensive way to dim the lights?

By the time you recoup the upfront cost for the switches via your reduced energy costs, your house will qualify as a century home.
I am not looking to recoup costs for energy at all. Not by a long shot. This helps you save a little for when you don't need the lights on all the time. And when you forget to turn them off you can even set them to turn off at certain times if you so choose. So instead of going out and then leaving your driveway or porch lights on for 4hrs or more you can turn them on when you're heading home.

I got it to dim my lights as I already have the TP-link ecosystem in my house. I have numerous switches and plugs that I have the option of controlling via away from the home. And yes, I can get a slider dimmer switch from home depot for about 20 bucks or so. But it doesn't allow me to automate my lights or put timers on there. This does. And no, you can't simply add a timer onto these switches and further to that, whatever timed switches are available, they are on a set schedule and does not fit my needs. They're a pain to set and I've never liked them. I've used all the features of these plugs and switches while on vacation and it has worked flawlessly for my needs. One of my switches controls the exterior plugs where I have my christmas lights. They all are programmed to the same timer as the smart plugs. And no, before you suggest those analog timers, I don't use them anymore. They are bulky and they stick out too far for the weather cover to cover the plugs. They also won't work for the plug in my soffit. The low profile smart plugs fit into the exterior receptacles just nice and I don't have to fiddle around with those dials.

They're also convenient while at home and the uses are vast with these switches. You can use IFTT to have your lights turn if you have smart door bell. You can see who is at the door in a well lit area without having to get up to the door (especially for those pesky door to door sales people).
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3157 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
rancid82 wrote: Fantastic deal. Unfortunately, I bought mine at 59.99 and they don't do price adjustments. Kept it anyways as I had installed it already. Wife complained the living room LEDs were too bright and wanted to dim them. Works great for my purposes.

Don't tell anybody but buy it again and return on the original bill...
<no self promotion>
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Toukolou wrote: But isn't that a really expensive way to dim the lights?

The point is not just that it is a dimmer, but it's a smart light switch with the option of dimming as well. You can make an argument about any smart device, there's always a more manual way to do things at a fraction of the cost or free. We're living in 2018 though and we have new technologies/products available to us, some people enjoy the tech, some people enjoy the convenience, and some people enjoy both.