[Amazon Canada] TP-Link smart plug HS100 2 pack - $45.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 11:14 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2009
119 posts
116 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] TP-Link smart plug HS100 2 pack - $45.99

I was looking for a deal on the HS200 smart switch and came across these.
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-HS100-Ass ... link+hs110
Last edited by blue dragon on Jan 12th, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38 replies
Nov 19, 2016
25 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for posting. I have been waiting for deal on these.
Nov 10, 2012
820 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
Be aware that these are the bigger version of the plugs. TP Link also sells a mini version which was on sale for Boxing Day at Best Buy, for example.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
1544 posts
93 upvotes
Anyone know the difference between these and the mini?

I think best buy had the mini during Boxing Day for 35 for the 2 pack
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1051 posts
321 upvotes
Cambridge
DYJ wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:41 pm
Anyone know the difference between these and the mini?

I think best buy had the mini during Boxing Day for 35 for the 2 pack
The mini allows you to use both outlets, the larger one blocks an outlet but gives you energy monitoring in the kasa app
Oct 16, 2006
128 posts
32 upvotes
only the hs110 gives you energy monitoring this is two of the hs100 which does not have energy monitoring.

Better to wait until the mini(s) go on sale which seems to happen quite frequently at Amazon and Best Buy
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2618 posts
465 upvotes
Not a great deal, $35 for 2 was the best
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18869 posts
1309 upvotes
I have a simmilar device except ZWave, and honesty, I have a hard time finding use cases for them.

Its handy at Christmas for the lights... other than that, not very useful IMO....

They make no sense with lamps as it's cheaper to just buy smart bulbs (which can be had for $15 or less nowadays). Most anything else you'd plug into them nowadays... won't "turn on" when you enable the power.... the idea of using them to "schedule power hungry devices" that is on their website also makes no sense when you can get a power bar with timers for a fraction of theprice...

Mine sits unused for most of the year.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2807 posts
1156 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
brunes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:30 pm
I have a simmilar device except ZWave, and honesty, I have a hard time finding use cases for them.

Its handy at Christmas for the lights... other than that, not very useful IMO....

They make no sense with lamps as it's cheaper to just buy smart bulbs (which can be had for $15 or less nowadays). Most anything else you'd plug into them nowadays... won't "turn on" when you enable the power.... the idea of using them to "schedule power hungry devices" that is on their website also makes no sense when you can get a power bar with timers for a fraction of theprice...
I'm in an Apt right now that has hardly any ceiling lights and so I have a lot of lamps using the low watt LED bulbs. I set them on a timer and I also use it daily on my phone to turn on and off. I also do it at my mothers when she goes away and set some random timers for security. When I move in the Spring into a home I plan to use it even more for things in the garage, etc. But I'm on the more nerdy side of things too lol.
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18869 posts
1309 upvotes
kanechart wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:34 pm
I'm in an Apt right now that has hardly any ceiling lights and so I have a lot of lamps using the low watt LED bulbs. I set them on a timer and I also use it daily on my phone to turn on and off. I also do it at my mothers when she goes away and set some random timers for security. When I move in the Spring into a home I plan to use it even more for things in the garage, etc. But I'm on the more nerdy side of things too lol.
So like I said... smart bulbs are cheaper than these... unless you are daisy chaning 5 lamps off 1 plug, I don't get it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2807 posts
1156 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
brunes wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:37 pm
So like I said... smart bulbs are cheaper than these... unless you are daisy chaning 5 lamps off 1 plug, I don't get it.
How is smart bulbs cheaper? It's a light bulb that will die before it's due date on the package. You will replacement because of new tech by then. At least this is a plug that can go on and off. There is no comparison unless you calling smart bulbs iphones and switches androids ;)
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Dec 26, 2004
373 posts
72 upvotes
brunes wrote:

Just starting to learn about these 'smart'plugs and bulbs but don't you need a bridge for the bulb?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1266 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
Fanatic wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:01 am
Just starting to learn about these 'smart'plugs and bulbs but don't you need a bridge for the bulb?
Tplink bulbs(using one now) don't require a hub.
Mar 22, 2013
536 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:

I agree completely. I don’t really understand what the use case is for switches, when I could put in smartbulbs like the Hue.

I’d love someone to explain it to be because I just don’t get it.