Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
amazon.ca

UMIDIGI F1 Play 6/64GB, dual SIM, clean Android 9.0, 5130 mAH 6.3" $279.99 all in (no tax, free 2-3 day shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 2:02 am
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes

UMIDIGI F1 Play 6/64GB, dual SIM, clean Android 9.0, 5130 mAH 6.3" $279.99 all in (no tax, free 2-3 day shipping)

Deal Link:
Price:
$279.99
Savings:
$20 off
Retailer:
amazon.ca
I just bought one of these for my dad. Normally I wouldn't care about a $20 coupon, but there was no tax, free shipping and it will arrive on Friday. Ali Express has it for about the same price after courier fees, except this one wont take weeks/months to ship and clear Customs. Based on a few days of hunting, this seems to be (one of) the best, readily available phones that supports Google Play and all Canadian bands (as far as I can tell) in the $250 range. I'm sure someone will tell me I was wrong, but whatever, it's for a senior citizen. The closest comparison I found was the Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (a great phone in its own right), but that has a 5.5" screen, 30% less battery and big 'ol bezels for the same price.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/umidigi-f1-play/antutu

Don't let the 48 mp camera fool you, all reports say its post processing is horrible even despite a recent software suite upgrade.

60 replies
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
I would get the A2 instead (right below it in the benchmark).
Most importantly, way better Android support (Qualcomm vs MediaTek), Android One gets updates like clockwork (vs. waiting for manufacturers to release updates, if at all), and even when it comes to third-party Qualcomm has way wider endorsement.
While CPUs are comparable (with Helio P60 having a slight edge over the SD660) GPU is also a tad better on the A2.
The A2 is significantly cheaper too, got mine for around $200 all in via DHL (5 business days transit) from eglobal central (check thread: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/eglobal ... e-2291802/)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
No FM tuner or headphone jack and only a 3000 mAH battery on the A2 unfortunately. That was a pretty big requirement for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2008
1125 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
Recent reviews seem to be pretty good for the F1 Play. Is there a better phone from Amazon in its price range?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2370 posts
1036 upvotes
London
It was down to $254.99 last weekend on a lightning deal at amazon, went quick!

The seem to be having a deal on umidigi every weekend, something to keep an eye on.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Most importantly, way better Android support (Qualcomm vs MediaTek), Android One gets updates like clockwork (vs. waiting for manufacturers to release updates, if at all), and even when it comes to third-party Qualcomm has way wider endorsement.
It looks like this supports Treble which also means updates will be available if you flash a GSI.
More work than Android One but they will be available.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
death_hawk wrote: It looks like this supports Treble which also means updates will be available if you flash a GSI.
More work than Android One but they will be available.
Any phone shipping with Oreo (or higher) will be Treble compliant out of the box.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
targa88 wrote: Not sure what the difference is other than the memory for this F1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MFD4MNL/?co ... _lig_dp_it
F1
4gb ram 128gb rom

F1 play
6gb ram 64gb rom

Ram = volatile memory, fast, used by system for multitasking and loading of programs. Will reset on reboot or lose its data if system requires it.

Rom = non volatile, slower then ram, but used for storage of applications and files. Will not delete upon reboot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
I was initially looking forward to the f1 play, but so far we have had two issues with it. The initial unit we got, died. The second unit so far has ram management problems. Where it will automatically reboot once the ram that is available ends up being used up. There's a thread on the topic over st umidigi. Supposedly they are working on it and an update will be out. A similar phone in specs would be the Blu xi+ and that phone works flawlessly.

I would warn people who are interested to be very wary.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
No issues for me so far. I haven't had any phantom reboots or errors, everything works fine out of the box. The finger print scanner is pretty cheap, you need to add half a dozen profiles to get it to work routinely. I ended up keeping this one for myself and gave my Dad my S7 Edge after he said this was too big - this is a definite upgrade in almost every way.

On the plus side it comes with a screen protector (already applied) and a free cheap case.

Unfortunately it won't show that you're on LTE, it will only display 2/3/4G in the toolbar. Speed tests show that it is downloading at LTE speeds, just, it shows 4G. This is a known issue apparently and mostly cosmetic. I've seen people report that it will flip between 3 and 4G while making calls. I haven't experienced that yet.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
likethewine wrote: 6GB RAM and 64GB storage for $279 or 4GB Ram and 128G storage for $269. Whats the better deal?
6GB RAM, you can add a microSD card if you need more than 64GB storage. Assuming the rest of the specs on the phone are what you're looking for, as others have said there are other phones in this price range.

TBF the original F1 is pretty meh if you plan on using any games or resource heavy apps.
Nov 3, 2018
447 posts
992 upvotes
mikebc wrote: No FM tuner or headphone jack and only a 3000 mAH battery on the A2 unfortunately. That was a pretty big requirement for me.
it's called Spotify. try it sometime.you might like it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
supremePug wrote: it's called Spotify. try it sometime.you might like it.
Oh Spotify doubles your battery life and doesn't suck data without a subscription? TIL.

I'm not sucking this phone's @#*%, it's a budget low end phone. It has its issues which have been clearly outlined.
Last edited by mikebc on Jul 6th, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
supremePug wrote: it's called Spotify. try it sometime.you might like it.
Not everyone has enough data, the guy's concern is a valid one.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
mikebc wrote: it's a budget low end phone. It has its issues which have been clearly outlined.
Though $279.99 isn't budget low-end phone price tag for many ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)