Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

UtechSmart USB 2.0 To 10/100 Ethernet/LAN Adapter $9.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2017 9:14 am
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes
if you can wait these go for <$2 on ali express
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Why would anybody ever pay regular price of $15-20 for this, when the AmazonBasics USB 3.0 model is $20-21 regular price (less 20% for prime members)?

As an aside, 3 camels has this USB 2.0 one constantly flipping price between $10 and about $13 back and forth since early Feb. So
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
526 upvotes
New Caledonia
wearysky wrote: Why would anybody ever pay regular price of $15-20 for this, when the AmazonBasics USB 3.0 model is $20-21 regular price (less 20% for prime members)?

As an aside, 3 camels has this USB 2.0 one constantly flipping price between $10 and about $13 back and forth since early Feb. So
This is already a niche item mostly used as a compatibility upgrade, so I can't imagine anyone really needing USB 3.0 for this. The 2.0 is fast enough for any internet connection available right now, and at least as fast as your typical home network.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
EverybodyKnows wrote: This is already a niche item mostly used as a compatibility upgrade, so I can't imagine anyone really needing USB 3.0 for this. The 2.0 is fast enough for any internet connection available right now, and at least as fast as your typical home network.
That's not what I asked. What I asked was why would you pay the $15-20 regular price for a USB 2.0 generic Chinese one, when you can get the AmazonBasics one (much more trustworthy, IMO) for only a buck or two more?

And gigabit adapters aren't needed for internet connections - it's alllll about that local network file transfer speed! My laptop (new XPS 13) doesn't have an ethernet jack on it, so without my USB 3.0 gigabit adapter any large file transfers (say, to my network drive) would be *horrendously* painful.
Jun 10, 2015
277 posts
708 upvotes
Montreal, QC
JustinZ wrote: if you can wait these go for <$2 on ali express
And wait for 2 months for your order to be delivered. Sweet.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
EverybodyKnows wrote: This is already a niche item mostly used as a compatibility upgrade, so I can't imagine anyone really needing USB 3.0 for this. The 2.0 is fast enough for any internet connection available right now, and at least as fast as your typical home network.
It is a niche use indeed, but I think that have USB 3.0 (actually Gigabit on ethernet end) is worthy the extra 5-10 bucks - especially when you're using to transfer big/multiple files through local network.

And well, not really. USB 2.0 isn't fast enough for any internet connection. 2.0 theoretically peaks at 480 mbps - that alone is below some "user reachable" speeds (for instance Bell and rogers offers some 500 mbps / gigabit speeds; others companies do as well) - but the thing is, that's theoretical speed on USB 2.0. And I'm yet to see something going on 2.0 over 30Mbps /240 mbps, and that on peak moments! But I think the "real" down side is on ethernet end. Being 10/100 mbps ... I mean, I do know that most of people still use sub 100 mbps internet connection and stuff, but still...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Most people's Internet service when measured is only about 25-35Mbps - nice to have USB 3.0 and gigabit but really isn't needed at this point for 80-90% of internet service subscribers.
neonic wrote: It is a niche use indeed, but I think that have USB 3.0 (actually Gigabit on ethernet end) is worthy the extra 5-10 bucks - especially when you're using to transfer big/multiple files through local network.

And well, not really. USB 2.0 isn't fast enough for any internet connection. 2.0 theoretically peaks at 480 mbps - that alone is below some "user reachable" speeds (for instance Bell and rogers offers some 500 mbps / gigabit speeds; others companies do as well) - but the thing is, that's theoretical speed on USB 2.0. And I'm yet to see something going on 2.0 over 30Mbps /240 mbps, and that on peak moments! But I think the "real" down side is on ethernet end. Being 10/100 mbps ... I mean, I do know that most of people still use sub 100 mbps internet connection and stuff, but still...
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20460 upvotes
Seriously, a 10/100 adapter at any price in 2017 is stone cold.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Seriously, why do you need Gbps if you're only getting < 45Mbps into the home? Do you pay for Insurance coverage when you rent a car when you already have coverage on your credit card and auto policy ? Check your speed test result and if your result is higher than 100Mbps, then get an adapter that has Gigabit.
Jan 28, 2014
690 posts
328 upvotes
mangoman wrote: Seriously, why do you need Gbps if you're only getting < 45Mbps into the home? Do you pay for Insurance coverage when you rent a car when you already have coverage on your credit card and auto policy ? Check your speed test result and if your result is higher than 100Mbps, then get an adapter that has Gigabit.
As said before by another person local file transfers. Transferring a 4-20GB file from PC to PC on a local network is painfully slow on 10/100.

It's like saying why get SSD drives on your brand new macbook when your 10/100 adapter is the bottleneck at writing on the drives.

Another example would be last gen USB 2.0 thumb drives that take 15+min to write 1GB of files whole a brand new one takes seconds (I threw out all my old slow thumb drives they are garbage). USB 3.0 speeds are great and it's already several years old so USB 2.0 speeds is like being back in 1999
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Sounds like a really specific case if you're someone that needs to do this on a regular basis (using a hardwired connection on a pc that doesn't have an ethernet connector to move 20GB to another PC).

I'd just take the USB 3.0 thumb drive from one machine to the other and copy it manually over the USB 3.0 connection.

Now if a USB 2.0 to Gbps ethernet adapter costs the same as 100Mbps one, then for sure go for it. But if there's a price differential between them, you need to determine whether it's worth the extra cost and whether you need the feature.

STIGUY wrote: As said before by another person local file transfers. Transferring a 4-20GB file from PC to PC on a local network is painfully slow on 10/100.

It's like saying why get SSD drives on your brand new macbook when your 10/100 adapter is the bottleneck at writing on the drives.

Another example would be last gen USB 2.0 thumb drives that take 15+min to write 1GB of files whole a brand new one takes seconds (I threw out all my old slow thumb drives they are garbage). USB 3.0 speeds are great and it's already several years old so USB 2.0 speeds is like being back in 1999
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20460 upvotes
Lol, the whole reason why I went through the trouble of putting Ethernet inside the walls is to get better than 45 mbits/s.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
But you went to the trouble of buying a fancy dancy computer that has USB 3.0 but doesn't come with Gigabit ethernet? Usually, the reason is because that computer was built for portability but then the money wasn't spent in the right place if you're ending up looking for a USB to gigabit adapter for frequent network transfers of 5-20GB??

I'd rather update to a newer AC router (knowing full well that I won't get more than 300-400Mbps) - it's just where I'd choose to spend my saved $... this is RFD afterall.

will888 wrote: Lol, the whole reason why I went through the trouble of putting Ethernet inside the walls is to get better than 45 mbits/s.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
mangoman wrote: But you went to the trouble of buying a fancy dancy computer that has USB 3.0 but doesn't come with Gigabit ethernet? Usually, the reason is because that computer was built for portability but then the money wasn't spent in the right place if you're ending up looking for a USB to gigabit adapter for frequent network transfers of 5-20GB??

I'd rather update to a newer AC router (knowing full well that I won't get more than 300-400Mbps) - it's just where I'd choose to spend my saved $... this is RFD afterall.
You really can't understand how one would value portability on a laptop when out of the home, but still want fast file transfers while in the home?

And you'd rather spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy AC router that still can't get gigabit speeds, instead of spending $10 more on a USB 3.0 adapter over a USB 2.0 adapter? Hrmm...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4578 posts
2489 upvotes
Spare me... I was responding to the incredulity expressed at why a 10/100 Mbps version exists (because most people don't need it in N. America or in most of the rest of the world where things cost even more relatively and every $ counts).

Who says AC routers cost 100's more, yesterday alone there 2-3 threads on $40-$50 ones.

Go ahead and spend the $10 more if that's something YOU need, but most people don't have a need for that Gigabit option for this type of dongle and that's why the other option exists.

Now if the USB 3.0 / Gigabit adapter is also $9.99 then count me in for one.

wearysky wrote: You really can't understand how one would value portability on a laptop when out of the home, but still want fast file transfers while in the home?

And you'd rather spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy AC router that still can't get gigabit speeds, instead of spending $10 more on a USB 3.0 adapter over a USB 2.0 adapter? Hrmm...
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a quick solution to purchasers of Xiaomi's MiBox that doesn't provide an ethernet connection if they are struggling with household wifi issues and concerned about the extra burden that Kodi will place on their network.

Personally, I prefer the dongles that provide extra usb ports and the ethernet connection for the additional flexibility to add mouse/keyboard combos, memory sticks and hard drives. Like this one for $9.00 https://www.banggood.com/3-Port-USB-2_0 ... ds=myorder
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: This is a quick solution to purchasers of Xiaomi's MiBox that doesn't provide an ethernet connection if they are struggling with household wifi issues and concerned about the extra burden that Kodi will place on their network.

Personally, I prefer the dongles that provide extra usb ports and the ethernet connection for the additional flexibility to add mouse/keyboard combos, memory sticks and hard drives. Like this one for $9.00 https://www.banggood.com/3-Port-USB-2_0 ... ds=myorder
I'm in this boat, but so far I've tried 2 different USB-Ethernet adapters and neither one of them worked on my Mi box, do you know that this one will work?
Beep\Bop\Boop