Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Vacuum Sealer Rolls, Two (2), Large 11" x 50'-$27.78

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2017 11:13 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes

Vacuum Sealer Rolls, Two (2), Large 11" x 50'-$27.78

Deal Link:
Price:
$27.78
Retailer:
Amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JESPZZ4/ref ... 00_TE_dp_1

Been looking for Vacuum Sealer Rolls as I'm running low. Realize these are thinner than 3.5 mil. Over $35 and Free Shipping. Ordered 6 rolls and oddly enough I wasn't charged tax so seems like a Hot Deal. Should be here on Tues and will update thread re: quality.
Reviews at Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/ ... ewpoints=1
25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
394 upvotes
Scarborough
I still have a roll I purchased when I bought my weston pro 2700. You lose quite a bit of bag when pre-cutting them because you need to give yourself enough room for the product you intend on sealing. If you're off by an inch you've wasted the bag for it's purpose on that item.
These won't work on vacuum chamber sealers only on the food saver type.

Pricewise, yes it's pretty decent I guess. Thanks OP
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes
I bought the Foodsaver V4880 last Oct ($130) and it does waste 1" on either end of the bag. Not too concerned as buying meats at +50% discount and freezing them knowing they'll be frost free for at least a couple of yrs is good enough for me. Per lb- Prime Rib- $6, Breakfast Sausage-$2, Back Bacon- $2, Pork Loin- $1.47, Pork Back Ribs-$2, Bacon- $2-$3, Hamburger- $3, Chicken Wings-$2,16-20 Shrimp- $7, Sole Filet- $3.50, Corned Beef- $3...list goes on and on.
Wife and I are totally sold on Vac Sealing and it's not only about properly freezing food long term frost free but the variety we get to choose each and every night.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 9, 2007
5558 posts
609 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 8:00 am
I still have a roll I purchased when I bought my weston pro 2700. You lose quite a bit of bag when pre-cutting them because you need to give yourself enough room for the product you intend on sealing. If you're off by an inch you've wasted the bag for it's purpose on that item.
Here's what I do.

I purposely make over sized bags. For example if a piece of meat is 6 inches long I will make a 9 inch bag.

When I first cut the bag I seal it close to the cut, leaving only about a half inch of waste.

When I take the piece of meat out, I cut close to the closing seal. Then I turn the bag inside out, wash it, and leave it out to dry.

I then have an 8 inch bag that I can use for other items in the 4 to 7 age range.

I repeat the process until the bag that started off at 9 inches is down to about three inches. At that point, I tend to put batteries into that small bag, vacuum seal the batteries, and then don't have to worry about battery leakage over time.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
2012 posts
394 upvotes
Scarborough
magoot wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:13 am
I bought the Foodsaver V4880 last Oct ($130) and it does waste 1" on either end of the bag. Not too concerned as buying meats at +50% discount and freezing them knowing they'll be frost free for at least a couple of yrs is good enough for me. Per lb- Prime Rib- $6, Breakfast Sausage-$2, Back Bacon- $2, Pork Loin- $1.47, Pork Back Ribs-$2, Bacon- $2-$3, Hamburger- $3, Chicken Wings-$2,16-20 Shrimp- $7, Sole Filet- $3.50, Corned Beef- $3...list goes on and on.
Wife and I are totally sold on Vac Sealing and it's not only about properly freezing food long term frost free but the variety we get to choose each and every night.
The only thing that you need to consider is you end up consuming more bags this way and that's because if I buy ground beef on sale I have to freeze it in batches of one pound each or else I would be defrosting an entire bag of ground beef and refreezing it won't be the same. This applies to anything purchased in bulk, you end up saving tons of money but remember more bags are needed to individual sealing.

MexiCanuck wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 9:40 pm
Here's what I do.

I purposely make over sized bags. For example if a piece of meat is 6 inches long I will make a 9 inch bag.

When I first cut the bag I seal it close to the cut, leaving only about a half inch of waste.

When I take the piece of meat out, I cut close to the closing seal. Then I turn the bag inside out, wash it, and leave it out to dry.

I then have an 8 inch bag that I can use for other items in the 4 to 7 age range.

I repeat the process until the bag that started off at 9 inches is down to about three inches. At that point, I tend to put batteries into that small bag, vacuum seal the batteries, and then don't have to worry about battery leakage over time.

I've tried that before, it works when you're trying to save a few extra pennies on using more bags. Because of the above post I mentioned about proportioning the pieces individually to avoid re-freezing I've stopped having to do the method you speak of. Lately I've been using the foodsaver bags that come with a inverted seal in the corner and I use the handheld vacuum for deli and cheeses, I use it sometime for meats too. Eventually I want to plan on buying a vacuum chamber that's when liquids and other specialty items come into play.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 5:03 pm
The only thing that you need to consider is you end up consuming more bags this way and that's because if I buy ground beef on sale I have to freeze it in batches of one pound each or else I would be defrosting an entire bag of ground beef and refreezing it won't be the same. This applies to anything purchased in bulk, you end up saving tons of money but remember more bags are needed to individual sealing.

I've tried that before, it works when you're trying to save a few extra pennies on using more bags. Because of the above post I mentioned about proportioning the pieces individually to avoid re-freezing I've stopped having to do the method you speak of. Lately I've been using the foodsaver bags that come with a inverted seal in the corner and I use the handheld vacuum for deli and cheeses, I use it sometime for meats too. Eventually I want to plan on buying a vacuum chamber that's when liquids and other specialty items come into play.
I pre-freeze all my meats into portions X 2 (wife and I) on a cookie sheet and then place them in large vac bags separated by heavy duty wax paper. When needed I open package and pull out 1 or 2 servings and reseal. Works quite well. Homemade soups I also prefreeze and afterwards vac seal them. Same with homemade broths.
Will NEVER EVER go back to using ziplock bags as we're both totally sold on vac sealing.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes
malcom1666 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 6:34 pm
Can it use on food saver machine?
Yes but because the roll is so long 50' it won't fit into the upper storage area of Foodsaver but does fit into the Foodsaver vacuuming/ sealing area.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 9, 2007
5558 posts
609 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
magoot wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 7:19 pm
Yes but because the roll is so long 50' it won't fit into the upper storage area of Foodsaver but does fit into the Foodsaver vacuuming/ sealing area.
I saved the cardboard tube from a roll. Then I rolled half of a 50 ft roll onto the old tube. The result was two 25 foot rolls, each of which could fit inside the foodsaver.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2003
4640 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
When you say 50% discount, do you mean you're buying nearly expiring meat - or as Loblaws calls it "Enjoy Tonight" - to feeeze?

Is that safe?
Newbie
Nov 27, 2011
16 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
milhaus wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 6:56 am
When you say 50% discount, do you mean you're buying nearly expiring meat - or as Loblaws calls it "Enjoy Tonight" - to feeeze?

Is that safe?
I am pretty sure"Enjoy Tonight" food is associated to the best before date and not an expiry date. Like all food the consumer should make the decision on what is actually gone bad. I see nothing wrong with discount food as long the texture and taste does not bother me.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:43 am

I saved the cardboard tube from a roll. Then I rolled half of a 50 ft roll onto the old tube. The result was two 25 foot rolls, each of which could fit inside the foodsaver.
Yes I also do the same and I also have a non vacuum sealer with which I "pre-make" bags and store away.
milhaus wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 6:56 am
When you say 50% discount, do you mean you're buying nearly expiring meat - or as Loblaws calls it "Enjoy Tonight" - to feeeze?

Is that safe?
No I don't buy meat that's discounted because of "Best Before Date". Lots of sales out there and I'm patient and wait for sales- having a large freezer is key to my strategy. Apparently buying "Best Before Date" if frozen immediately is fine. Realize (from info via Govt websites) properly stored frozen meat can be kept for 2-3 yrs.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2005
8738 posts
1358 upvotes
Can anyone comment, aside from the rolls not fitting into the foodsaver, does this mean, you can't leave them in and close the lid? Is it possible to set the roll in the trough part to keep it from rolling wildly, or do you have to make the roll smarter even just to set it in there temporarily? I still have lots of the original left, plus my wife bought the refill pack as it was on sale at Costco as well when she got the sealer, so I am probably good for a long time. But at that price, I could find all kinds of things to seal.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 8, 2015
546 posts
194 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 7:58 am
Can anyone comment, aside from the rolls not fitting into the foodsaver, does this mean, you can't leave them in and close the lid? Is it possible to set the roll in the trough part to keep it from rolling wildly, or do you have to make the roll smarter even just to set it in there temporarily? I still have lots of the original left, plus my wife bought the refill pack as it was on sale at Costco as well when she got the sealer, so I am probably good for a long time. But at that price, I could find all kinds of things to seal.
The 50' roll will fit into the storage trough but the lid won't close. When in storage trough 50' roll will bind while pulling out a fresh strip of the roll.

Top