Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Verbatim 32GB Mini USB 3.0 $7.82

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2017 11:33 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1873 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
My friend took my 32GB with her to Taiwan. :(

This'll be perfect. 2-4 week wait.
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
526 upvotes
New Caledonia
Paroxetine wrote: Known for overheating.
No reply... safe to assume you were just making stuff up then?
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1915 posts
4828 upvotes
EverybodyKnows wrote: No reply... safe to assume you were just making stuff up then?
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he was referring to the small lexar ones in the other post because those USED to have problems with overheating. The thing was too small to dissipate heat. This on the other hand, being plastic, should be fine
Dec 24, 2016
41 posts
14 upvotes
I don't suppose anyone knows of any that size, 256GB, reliable, and affordable?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2015
1112 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
EverybodyKnows wrote: No reply... safe to assume you were just making stuff up then?
I assume you're waiting on my reply before deciding to buy it or not. I won't make you wait any longer.
The product is listed as a metal USB drive. And metal absorbs heat so it might get hotter than other plastic USB drives.
Now people say this is cheap plastic in the reviews, so you can make up your own decision.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
Paroxetine wrote:
The product is listed as a metal USB drive. And metal absorbs heat so it might get hotter than other plastic USB drives.
Metals, especially aluminum and copper, conduct (absorb and dissipate) heat BETTER than other plastics. Except newer, way more expensive plastics, which I doubt are used in any of these USB. That's PHYSICS. Why do you think CPU, GPU heatsinks are made of these metals, and not plastics?

The reason it gets hot on USB casing is because it is dissipating heat from the USB's board and chip. And you should prefer this, to plastics USB casing as it does not dissipate heat from USB's board and chip, which will turn the inside of an USB into a mini-oven, thus bad bad bad for chips and board.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2015
1112 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: Metals, especially aluminum and copper, conduct (absorb and dissipate) heat BETTER than other plastics. Except newer, way more expensive plastics, which I doubt are used in any of these USB. That's PHYSICS. Why do you think CPU, GPU heatsinks are made of these metals, and not plastics?

The reason it gets hot on USB casing is because it is dissipating heat from the USB's board and chip. And you should prefer this, to plastics USB casing as it does not dissipate heat from USB's board and chip, which will turn the inside of an USB into a mini-oven, thus bad bad bad for chips and board.
I did not say the heat is an undesirable feature for USB drives, but for some people the heat could be a concern.
However, you should not always prefer an USB casing that gets hot. Design flaws and lack of cutouts can be responsible for poor heat dissipation, thus leading to some drives being excessively hot to the touch, constant disconnecting and reconnecting, or possible USB port damage.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1915 posts
4828 upvotes
Paroxetine wrote: I did not say the heat is an undesirable feature for USB drives, but for some people the heat could be a concern.
However, you should not always prefer an USB casing that gets hot. Design flaws and lack of cutouts can be responsible for poor heat dissipation, thus leading to some drives being excessively hot to the touch, constant disconnecting and reconnecting, or possible USB port damage.
um...heat is an undesirable feature...the "you should prefer this" was referring to the metal casing over plastic
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
Paroxetine wrote: I did not say the heat is an undesirable feature for USB drives, but for some people the heat could be a concern.
This happens on plastics USB, as heat being trapped inside the plastics casing. Metal USBs, are "hot" to touch, but are actually good for your USB's board and chip as well as the USB ports, because the casing is being the heat dissipator.

Internally, USB board and chip will get hot, there's no question about it. How hot? -depend on chip and board manufacturers.
If you have an option to put the same internal components to either metal or plastics case of the same design, you must be mad choosing plastics over metal.
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10595 posts
15784 upvotes
GT-EH
Thanks OP... ordered 1.
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2015
1112 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: If you have an option to put the same internal components to either metal or plastics case of the same design, you must be mad choosing plastics over metal.
As I said in my earlier post, a hot casing could be a concern for some people. See below.
chinesepig wrote: um...heat is an undesirable feature...
Aug 15, 2012
357 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks, OP. Picked one up. Sadly I don't have Prime so the total came to $13 with shipping. Still great for a tiny 32GB drive. I'm hoping to put a few movies on this and play them on my TV, but the overheating problems means it probably won't do a good job. Still will be great for moving files around.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
Paroxetine wrote: As I said in my earlier post, a hot casing could be a concern for some people. See below.
Then next time, you should put out full details on your statements
Paroxetine wrote: Known for overheating.
Where is your source?
or
Paroxetine wrote: The product is listed as a metal USB drive. And metal absorbs heat so it might get hotter than other plastic USB drives.
Absorb. what about dissipate?

You are saying as if this heat is such a bad thing on these metal usbs. It is a good thing for the life of the usb, as well as the usb port.

If it is too hot after write/read, eject the drive, and wait for 10-30sec. With no upload or unload, the drive will cool down. Being metal, it will cool down so much faster than plastics.
Mar 2, 2009
614 posts
357 upvotes
darethehair wrote: Very interested, but would want to use for booting Linux. Have a 32gb Sandisk Ultra Fit that does *not* work for this purpose (though the 64gb and 128gb models work just fine). Anyone know about this Verbatim's ability to do so?
Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
Jan 29, 2016
377 posts
526 upvotes
New Caledonia
Hah, what a load. You said it was "known for overheating."

Stop trying to save face here... this is embarrassing.
HOT DEAL ALERT: 661,000 stolen emails, usernames and unencrypted passwords from a Canadian deals website, compromised due to administrator incompetence and general apathy towards users! Order now!
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2015
1112 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: You are saying as if this heat is such a bad thing on these metal usbs. It is a good thing for the life of the usb, as well as the usb port.
I am just pointing out that metal USB drives can get hot.
You, the customer, will make the final decision on what to buy.

And this customer made his choice.
chinesepig wrote: um...heat is an undesirable feature...
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2015
1112 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
EverybodyKnows wrote: Hah, what a load. You said it was "known for overheating."

No need to get "overheated" over USB drives.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1352 posts
503 upvotes
Ontario
EverybodyKnows wrote: Hah, what a load. You said it was "known for overheating."

Agreed. You spent far too much mental & emotional energy in your retort.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Anyone have a good deal on 64gb?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Guru
Apr 9, 2006
10595 posts
15784 upvotes
GT-EH
I wonder if this metal casing would be sensitive to static charges?

I mean if I'm carrying a huge static charge and I touch this USB... I hope it doesn't fry anything! :lol:

That would be my only concern.
Public Mobile Customer, $34/50GB CAN-US
"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life." - Picard