Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Victorinox 8 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife ($40.04)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 8:34 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
this is a good value knife. but really that's all it is.

it's meant for people in kitchens where you are worried about your coworkers stealing or abusing them -- and it's a great knife for that.

but for someone who is using it for home -- you might actually enjoy a knife which feels better in your hands.
Jan 16, 2014
77 posts
23 upvotes
Edmonton
Carbo wrote: Already own one but +1 recommendation.

If America's Test Kitchen / Cooks Illustrated says its the best and best value, you can take that to the bank. Effectively the Consumer Reports of the kitchen work.
I won't take what they say seriously.
I don't have a victorinox chef's knife, but I do have some of their bread knife and a Swiss chef's knife by Wenger with 41mm in height. They are very good knifes with good handle and flat v grind that are not too thick or too thin at hrc 57, but are the victorinox 13x better than a similar knife at dollarama?
Jan 15, 2017
124 posts
114 upvotes
myxboxcnq wrote: I won't take what they say seriously.
I don't have a victorinox chef's knife, but I do have some of their bread knife and a Swiss chef's knife by Wenger with 41mm in height. They are very good knifes with good handle and flat v grind that are not too thick or too thin at hrc 57, but are the victorinox 13x better than a similar knife at dollarama?
Yes, those knives are trash.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1600 posts
1610 upvotes
Orleans, ON
For those who care...

I bought and returned one of these a few weeks ago. I returned it because I bought a $70 7" Shun Santoku knife and simply liked the Shun a little better. Mostly because the Handle was more comfortable, and I liked the size better. That said, if 8" is the size you want, and you don't care about the handle that much... this knife is amazing. It's definitely worth $40. I'd have kept it if I needed a 2nd one.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
milolai wrote: this is a good value knife. but really that's all it is.

it's meant for people in kitchens where you are worried about your coworkers stealing or abusing them -- and it's a great knife for that.

but for someone who is using it for home -- you might actually enjoy a knife which feels better in your hands.
Knife feel in hands is subjective and different for every person. I have a victorinox and a shun, they both feel fine, although the shun takes a sharper edge for longer times, but also cost 3x-4x what the victorinox did.

They're good value and knife feel is different for everyone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
myxboxcnq wrote: but are the victorinox 13x better than a similar knife at dollarama?
Yes.
It's not even a question. The Dollarama ones feel cheap.
I doubt they'll even hold an edge.
But most home cooks have knives that are duller than a potato.

Buy and maintain a good (even entry level) knife like this and it'll last you a lifetime.
Well not the edge, but the knife itself.
There's a bunch of people in the industry that still have Victorinox 20 years later.
They've sharpened it a bunch but the knife itself is still usable.
spiralspirit wrote: Knife feel in hands is subjective and different for every person.
Exactly.
I've held a few Shuns and they feel weird.
I like the blade but not the feel.
A friend of mine has a Wusthof that's like 12lbs. I moved his knife once and was like WTF how do you use this?
Also Global is just.... weird.
Victorinox for me is just generally acceptable. It's a good thing too because they're cheap.
I have a few complaints about a few of their knives but nothing too major.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
endezo wrote: I'd been keeping an eye on this knife for a while, but ended up picking one up from Grohmann instead. They're made in Canada (Pictou, Nova Scotia) and run the full range from my basic poly-handled one analogous to this Victorinox all the way to gorgeous forged pieces of art.

Check out their clearance section for items at half price just because they have the most minor imperfections. Seriously, mine came with a couple of tiny scratches on the handle which would have happened within a couple of weeks' use anyways.

I don't work for them Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes but I just love their stuff and am happy to support a small local business. Just a matter of time before I get one of their camping knives and higher-end chef's knife.
It's great to support a Canadian company, and their "Regular" 8" chef's does look to have a nice profile. and looks very similar to the rosewood version of the Victorinox:
http://www.grohmannknives.com/index.php ... roduct]/0/
http://www.williamsfoodequipment.com/vi ... ndle-40020
But it's a few dollars more for a blade of unknown steel. They only say it's "hi-carbon", on another page. I did find some info on the company and it seems they're well-known among hunters etc. for their belt knives, and the kitchen knife line is a newer addition. Their stainless belt knives use 4110 stainless steel, which is comparable to Victorinox's X55CrMoV14. So if they use the same steel in their "Regular" kitchen knives then I'd say it's likely about as good as the Victorinox, if the overall design is as good (which I think you'd need to use both to find out). So that would be something to ask them before buying.

They do have a Regular 8" rosewood for $31.88 in the clearance section, which would seem to be a good deal if it's in good shape (and if the steel is in fact 4001 or as good). They also have an 8" "Poly Chef" for either $26.38 or $27.63 (both prices on the same page - hopefully they pay more attention to their knives than they do to their website), but I'd recommend against it because it has a plastic bolster running down the heel that will get in the way of proper sharpening and will probably look and feel nasty after you cut or sand it out of the way.
http://www.grohmannknives.com/index.php ... roduct]/0/
Similarly I'd avoid their forged kitchen knives because they also have that clunky old-fashioned bolster in the way.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
milolai wrote: this is a good value knife. but really that's all it is.

That and the Fibrox handle is NFS certifed. It is a bit thin for my taste, but only as a personal asthetic thing, because when you use it with a proper pinch grip the differences in the handles is insignificant. I have a 10" Fibrox and 8", 10", and 12" rosewood, and like them all very much. I just like the look of the rosewoods better. I highly recommend the Victorinox for home use, and if you do like a thicker handle or the appeance of wood better, then get the rosewood; otherwise get the Fibrox. But keep in mind that while neither should go in the dishwasher, the Fibrox will withstand it better than any wooden handle can.
Nov 18, 2015
320 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LOL everyone on here talking like they're master knife handlers!

It's a chef's knife and the Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife is good enough for the average person in the kitchen with an affordable price point. When it comes down to it, a $300 knife isn't going to make you cut better if you don't have the skill.

But ...then you can't say you have a "shun" knife. Shun knife don't mean nothing if you can't cut worth shi*t!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3232 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA Ontario
myxboxcnq wrote: I won't take what they say seriously.
There is no similar knife at Dollorama. The Victorinox is 52mm blade height, the best German steel in its price range, and excellent geometry. I used a $5 chef's knife for years and had no idea why some cost so much more - until I finally bought a proper one and learned how to hold it, use it, and sharpen it. If you compare the Victorinox to a Dollorama knife and don't immediately notice a significant difference, then you're just not that into it and might as well use Dollorama knives. And there's nothing wrong with that. But if you do recognize and appreciate the difference, then you'll be ready to decide whether you want to invest in the better tools and get more enjoyment out of cooking and food prep.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10185 posts
5573 upvotes
Toronto
KendrickStone wrote: LOL everyone on here talking like they're master knife handlers!

It's a chef's knife and the Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife is good enough for the average person in the kitchen with an affordable price point. When it comes down to it, a $300 knife isn't going to make you cut better if you don't have the skill.

But ...then you can't say you have a "shun" knife. Shun knife don't mean nothing if you can't cut worth shi*t!
Idk, I bought a Shun knife right off the bat and it just makes me feel better when I'm cooking. I like having high end things, and because I have better knives I feel like cooking more often, but that's just me.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1197 posts
694 upvotes
The yellow-handled Henckels knives are similar in build and quality. I love these types of knives as you can use them every day without feeling bad about messing them up (like $100+ knives)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
death_hawk wrote: Yes.
It's not even a question. The Dollarama ones feel cheap.
I doubt they'll even hold an edge.
But most home cooks have knives that are duller than a potato.

Buy and maintain a good (even entry level) knife like this and it'll last you a lifetime.
Well not the edge, but the knife itself.
There's a bunch of people in the industry that still have Victorinox 20 years later.
They've sharpened it a bunch but the knife itself is still usable.

Exactly.
I've held a few Shuns and they feel weird.
I like the blade but not the feel.
A friend of mine has a Wusthof that's like 12lbs. I moved his knife once and was like WTF how do you use this?
Also Global is just.... weird.
Victorinox for me is just generally acceptable. It's a good thing too because they're cheap.
I have a few complaints about a few of their knives but nothing too major.
Global are the best.
I'm not a chef, but am dating one. She and her chef friends-circle, some for them weirdos, all boast out about their global knives.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
There's no secret in how to make a good knife. Just get a name brand with a handle that you feel comfortable holding. The material science has been worked out hundreds of years ago. No need to go to shun or global for a good knife, these Victorinox will last you a lifetime with proper sharpening.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3875 posts
5397 upvotes
Oakville
KendrickStone wrote: LOL everyone on here talking like they're master knife handlers!

Hopefully your grammar skillz aren't reflective of your knife skillz brah

How many fingers are you typing with?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1600 posts
1610 upvotes
Orleans, ON

I literally posted about Shun vs this knife and said this one is just as good for the money. WTF are you talking about?
Not a single person here has said they are a master chef that needs some $300 knife. Not to mention a similar Shun starts around $70 and not $300... lol
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
myxboxcnq wrote: but are the victorinox 13x better than a similar knife at dollarama?
Yes, they are. It's the difference between squishing a tomato and cutting through it like there's nothing there at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
Kevin8se7en wrote: I literally posted about Shun vs this knife and said this one is just as good for the money.
It depends which shun. the shun at the same price point, ya. but the more expensive shuns are much better steel and hold a sharper edge longer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
zdpz wrote: Global are the best.
I'm not a chef, but am dating one. She and her chef friends-circle, some for them weirdos, all boast out about their global knives.
I dislike them because the back edge is weird. It like cuts into you if you use it for any significant length of time.
Ren wrote: Yes, they are. It's the difference between squishing a tomato and cutting through it like there's nothing there at all.
To be fair, even if you buy the best knife on earth, without proper care (honing and the occasional sharpening) you'll be back to squishing things in no time.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)