Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Waterproof Dry Storage Bag for Camping, Boating, etc., 10-20 L, $13-$15

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2017 6:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2009
421 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Re: Waterproof Dry Storage Bag for Camping, Boating, etc., 10-20 L, $13-$15

Can someone comment whether or not this is a good deal. For a few $ more I can get a highly rated dry sack at MEC ... is Tomshoo considered a known/reputable brand?
52 replies
Jun 5, 2010
336 posts
204 upvotes
Ottawa
mcfrugal wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:56 am
For a few $ more I can get a highly rated dry sack at MEC
Please provide a link to what you are looking at - MEC for me is at least $25 for 10l and $33 for a 20l bag.
May 29, 2006
32 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Ordered one in case it's handy in the future.

Going to test it out when it arrives to make sure it's waterproof lol.
Jul 11, 2015
209 posts
97 upvotes
Victoria, BC
this might be good for preparation of the upcoming flood season :P or for those in texas :p or even kingston. they were talking about some major floods coming to canada on cbc this morning.
You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.
Aug 1, 2013
208 posts
59 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
mcfrugal wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:56 am
Can someone comment whether or not this is a good deal. For a few $ more I can get a highly rated dry sack at MEC ... is Tomshoo considered a known/reputable brand?
the mec warranty adds quite a bit of value imo
I'm a Public Mobile Customer :)
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1267 posts
141 upvotes
BC
From the description:

"Notes: Highly water resistant but not guaranteed to be 100% waterproof"

Not The typical attributes of an actual dry bag.
CHIA
Aug 25, 2011
117 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
I've used these types of dry bags in Thailand to keep my stuff dry and it works really well. I also bought a tiny 2L one to put in my car for when I want to bring my phone and wallet only on kayaking or whatever trips.

These things are great! I paid 10$ in Thailand for a 10L one so at this price here is a good deal. My guess about the: "Notes: Highly water resistant but not guaranteed to be 100% waterproof" is mostly due to people not closing the bag properly.
Banned
Sep 2, 2012
64 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, OP. IMHO, this appears to be a very good deal. From the large number of highly positive reviews, doesn't look like you can go wrong. Most reviewers reported it to be very effect at repelling water and being very light weight. I hope it is as durable as it promises to be.
Feb 6, 2014
69 posts
29 upvotes
CHIA wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 1:09 pm
From the description:

"Notes: Highly water resistant but not guaranteed to be 100% waterproof"

Not The typical attributes of an actual dry bag.
You are right, but I am guessing they want to make sure people don't do anything stupid, like put a computer in there and dunk it in the lake for a few days.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1447 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa
I do whitewater canoeing and have tried many dry bags of different shapes, sizes and material (rubber, vinyl, coated fabric) for packing my tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. While it works reasonably well, once it gets dunked into the water all bets are off. Water WILL find a way in. For casual use (rain, splashing and the like), it's good. If complete waterproofness is what you're after, get a plastic barrel.
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
Jan 12, 2017
127 posts
27 upvotes
Looks like a rubberized bag that I used for motorcycling across the country, keep sleeping bad & stuff dry in the rain. +1
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2003
1267 posts
141 upvotes
BC
Deal is now dead, but this pic makes me laugh......"not drinking water" as it's photoshopped pouring into a nice glass, lol

CHIA
Oct 18, 2009
64 posts
31 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP! Deal is NOT dead, I just used code DZPW3IEM for the 10L bag and it was $12 shipped.

EDIT: Also, thanks to the reviews from the RFD posters, helped me pull the trigger as I am also going to use it for travel.
Jun 29, 2005
503 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
ordered the 20L one thanks. Will use it for kayaking