Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] WD Red 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive $249.99 (PRIME ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 5:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 31, 2014
158 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon Canada] WD Red 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive $249.99 (PRIME ONLY)

Not the lowest price ever per 3C but pretty close. Very reliable hard drive and a good price/TB.

Also available at Newegg for the same price.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... _-22236737

Edit: Don't forget to use Ebates for 4% back on Amazon, only 1% back on Newegg right now.

Edit 2: Ebates is now 8% for Amazon
Last edited by Growingupisold on Jan 10th, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
21 replies
Dec 7, 2009
793 posts
93 upvotes
Thanks OP for sharing. I’ve been thinking of repurposing an old pc box and parts and building a DIY NAS for cheap. I guess even reusing old parts is still going to cost me a good amount of change.
Jul 3, 2015
176 posts
291 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Not the lowest price?! Oh no, prepare for a barrage of downvotes! (...this was a joke lol)

Anyway, I looked up the lowest price and since I did, some others may be curious as well, so just for reference:
- Lowest price was $229.99, but only for a brief time between December 25 - 28, 2018.

Below screenshot is just for the past year. But even if you go "all-time", pricing has never been lower than this past year.
Images
  • Amazon.jpg
Jul 26, 2013
102 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I saved a ton of money by buying a few 8TB WD Elements drive from Best Buy on special for 180 + HST (WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN). When you open up the enclosure you'll find a white labelled Red NAS drive. (can tell by serial number which can be extracted using WD Lifeguard tools)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/wd ... 46791.aspx

A few caveats....

- don't know how long this cheat will last
- there may be undocumented differences with standard Red and the white labelled one (although it seems to work fine on my Drobo)
- warranty is a grey area. I've read some people have had success returning faulty drives after putting back in enclosure but seems to be at the discretion of WD. I would make sure to give a LONG test of the drive using WD Lifeguard tools before removing from enclosure to check for any problems.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2014
158 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto, ON
needybot wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:10 am
I saved a ton of money by buying a few 8TB WD Elements drive from Best Buy on special for 180 + HST (WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN). When you open up the enclosure you'll find a white labelled Red NAS drive. (can tell by serial number which can be extracted using WD Lifeguard tools)

A few caveats....

- there may be undocumented differences with standard Red and the white labelled one (although it seems to work fine on my Drobo)
- warranty is a grey area. I've read some people have had success returning faulty drives after putting back in enclosure but seems to be at the discretion of WD. I would make sure to give a LONG test of the drive using WD Lifeguard tools before removing from enclosure to check for any problems.
Good trick, shame they're not on sale anymore.
Jul 15, 2009
154 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
GotDaFunk wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:55 am
Thanks OP for sharing. I’ve been thinking of repurposing an old pc box and parts and building a DIY NAS for cheap. I guess even reusing old parts is still going to cost me a good amount of change.
For a DIY NAS on a budget, your best bet is buying refurbished enterprise drives from Newegg when they go on sale (which is quite frequently). Just run a thorough pre-clearance before adding to the array (it'll take days, but if they survive that they'll basically last forever).

I'm a huge fan of unRaid (over traditional raid arrays) for budget NASes since you can get redundancy while preserving the freedom to use mismatched drives, so you can grow your array at your own pace over time (e.g. whenever you run into great deals on RFD).
Jul 4, 2005
699 posts
53 upvotes
needybot wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:10 am

A few caveats....

Damn! When was the sale? I would love to pick a couple up for my existing NAS!

Also how can you tell which ones were Reds from the box?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14495 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
Midevilshadow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:37 am

The sale happened around Black Friday and Boxing Week.

Seems that all of the WD Elements purchased by RFD members were helium-filled white label drives with a 5400 rpm spin rate, 256 MB cache, and TLER enabled.
Last edited by audit13 on Jan 10th, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 4, 2005
699 posts
53 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:50 am
The sale happened around Black Friday and Boxing Week.

Seems that all of the WD Elements purchased by RFD members purchased were helium-filled white label drives with a 5400 rpm spin rate, 256 MB cache, and TLER enabled.
Damn. I really need to visit RFD more frequently.
Jul 26, 2013
102 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Midevilshadow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:37 am

The periodically put them on sale because WD doesn't have a cheap 8tB enclosure like Seagate's SMR drive (most people don't know there are huge differences in quality and performance between the two enclosures).

I couldn't tell from the outside box it was a red drive. Bought one (based on what I read here on RFD) , tested the drive using long test, then extracted drive (videos for doing this on you tube). To figure out drive model I ran Lifeguard tools (gives you the serial) and then went to WD' support and typed in the serial to get more info.
Last edited by needybot on Jan 10th, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 1, 2008
762 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Never heard of unRaid till now. Thanks. I may switch over from FreeNas as I just realized I can't add additional drives overtime.
anatman wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:26 am
For a DIY NAS on a budget, your best bet is buying refurbished enterprise drives from Newegg when they go on sale (which is quite frequently). Just run a thorough pre-clearance before adding to the array (it'll take days, but if they survive that they'll basically last forever).

I'm a huge fan of unRaid (over traditional raid arrays) for budget NASes since you can get redundancy while preserving the freedom to use mismatched drives, so you can grow your array at your own pace over time (e.g. whenever you run into great deals on RFD).
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2495 posts
136 upvotes
York
I know this sounds crazy but I always buy my drives in person from brick and mortar stores and try to look up if a product line had any bad batches or if multiple people complain about drives from a single store. Anyone have any feedback on ordering hard drives with Prime? Or just online in general, I know people do it all the time but I am a little concerned since it's always just some random dude in some random car delivering my Prime packages (maybe that's better than CP or courier services lol) and I know Amazon has amazing customer support but if a drive fails in the near future due to mishandling that data is gone forever (from the drive, not a backup).
Feb 10, 2014
260 posts
115 upvotes
Montr
soul_taker wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:31 pm
I know this sounds crazy but I always buy my drives in person from brick and mortar stores and try to look up if a product line had any bad batches or if multiple people complain about drives from a single store. Anyone have any feedback on ordering hard drives with Prime? Or just online in general, I know people do it all the time but I am a little concerned since it's always just some random dude in some random car delivering my Prime packages (maybe that's better than CP or courier services lol) and I know Amazon has amazing customer support but if a drive fails in the near future due to mishandling that data is gone forever (from the drive, not a backup).
If your data is that critical you need to look at more redundancy. Playing the statistics game that you're mentioning is in no way a guarantee at all that the drive will or will not work. It may give you slightly better peace of mind, however, if you think about it the brick and mortars drives were delivered by some random fellow too who may have dropped the box or kicked it along the sidewalk just the same.

You just go with the average failure rate for hard drives. Look those up for each make. After that, well, hope for the best right.