Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 7:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1577 posts
2071 upvotes
Knowhere

[Amazon.ca] WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD $179.99

The lowest was 169 last BF. its 10$ more than the lowest.

Great drive, it runs cool, fast and reliable. almost equivalent to Samsung 970 evo plus, but come with better warranty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: IMHO, DO NOT buy ADATA drives, I got 8200 PRO 1TB a while ago, used it as boot drive, I had windows bluescreen issue, windows freeze issue, and then I changed to Samsung, all issues were gone.
also for speed, on day 1, the drive was fast, but then I had like 400G data on it, then speed dropped to like half when i run crystal disk mark.
again, my personal opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by lightmeup on Jun 30th, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 replies
Jun 4, 2019
69 posts
96 upvotes
How does it compare with XPG 8200 Pro? I am unable to decide between 2, for 2 TB version, cost difference is very high, is SN750 that good compared to XPG 8200 Pro to justify the price?
Jun 8, 2010
280 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
IIRC, the 8200 Pro is faster in synthetic benchmarks, but slows down as it fills up. The SN750 is consistently fast.
Sep 29, 2014
782 posts
565 upvotes
GTA
scholar80 wrote: IIRC, the 8200 Pro is faster in synthetic benchmarks, but slows down as it fills up. The SN750 is consistently fast.
If we are talking about the SLC cache, it is not a matter of when the drive becomes full but when you write huge amount of data without pause.
As the SLC cache portion fills up, and then the controller has to write directly to TLC memory at a much slower rate. If you just have a pause between very large writes (100+ gb for the 8200) it will let the cache shuffle around the data behind the scenes and be ready (or empty) for the next write.

Anandtech's review of the 8200 Pro

Both drives are roughly equal, just get whatever is cheaper. It is unlikely you will notice the difference between the two unless you have some very specific requirements.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
D50M83 wrote: If we are talking about the SLC cache, it is not a matter of when the drive becomes full but when you write huge amount of data without pause.
As the SLC cache portion fills up, and then the controller has to write directly to TLC memory at a much slower rate. If you just have a pause between very large writes (100+ gb for the 8200) it will let the cache shuffle around the data behind the scenes and be ready (or empty) for the next write.

Anandtech's review of the 8200 Pro

Both drives are roughly equal, just get whatever is cheaper. It is unlikely you will notice the difference between the two unless you have some very specific requirements.
This is only partially correct. The cache actually shrinks as the drive fills so the time it takes to exhaust the cache does decline. This also only covers the first performance wall, ie. when the drive runs out of cache and not the second which happens when the drive runs out of available TLC (because it's been reserved as cache), though that is harder to hit, it becomes easier to hit the more full the drive is. The other phenomenon that happens is that as the drive approaches full, the drive starts experiencing some nasty latency spikes that basically don't exist on other drives.

The drives are not equal, for typical consumer workloads, one may not notice the differences on a regular basis (one might if they're cloning a drive or something, how often do you actually do that). But if one does any form of video editing or any other work load where lengthy writes are the norm, the SN750 is a vastly superior product.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
NirajP wrote: How does it compare with XPG 8200 Pro? I am unable to decide between 2, for 2 TB version, cost difference is very high, is SN750 that good compared to XPG 8200 Pro to justify the price?
Are you just using it as a boot/game/general screwing around on your comp drive? Or do you do any real work on your computer that involves writing to a drive for an extended period of time?
Jun 4, 2019
69 posts
96 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Are you just using it as a boot/game/general screwing around on your comp drive? Or do you do any real work on your computer that involves writing to a drive for an extended period of time?
Primarily for gaming, I don't know how ssd behave during extended gameplay, does it involve constant reading/writing? Specific to high file size games like COD WWII or RDR2
Aug 23, 2019
668 posts
519 upvotes
Pretty sure "Gaming SSD" is a meme/gimmick. Gaming performance rarely is affected by SSD (diminishing gains etc etc) unless you're playing something that loads new maps consistently and is packed neatly in one file that needs to extract from one huge file all the time *clinches fist at Path of exile*.

edit: a source https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8661 ... ndex2.html
Last edited by Zarkey on Jun 30th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jun 15, 2020
54 posts
333 upvotes
Good price! The sn750 has consistently fast read and write speeds. And WD has great customer support. Recently ran into a few BSOD because my old 500gig nvme drive started to fail and they replaced it via advanced RMA with a 1tb version. Had to pay for the shipping and 25$ fee but other then that the experience was great.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SN 750 black is just behind Samsung evo 970 plus, you can't go wrong with it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
NirajP wrote: Primarily for gaming, I don't know how ssd behave during extended gameplay, does it involve constant reading/writing? Specific to high file size games like COD WWII or RDR2
The only time games write to an SSD is at installation and when you are saving your data (this includes auto-save). Games primarily read from the SSD and dump the data into RAM. Most of the things you do when gaming will be written to RAM, not to storage.

It doesn't sound like your workload is at all dependent on quality of SSD. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between a low end SSD and an SN750 unless you sat there actually timing things, and even less so for the SX8200 Pro vs SN750. The only 2TB SSDs I see cheaper ATM are either SATA (Adata SU800 at $260 being by far the best deal if you're just using it as a game drive) but if you want to go NVMe or even just m.2, the only one substantially cheaper is the Adata SX8100 and I do NOT recommend that drive as it's prone to running hot and overheating. There are a few other drives close to in price(ie SATA m.2 WD Blue or sata Crucual MX500), none are worth saving a few bucks for.
Nov 24, 2018
765 posts
980 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Zarkey wrote: Pretty sure "Gaming SSD" is a meme/gimmick. Gaming performance rarely is affected by SSD (diminishing gains etc etc) unless you're playing something that loads new maps consistently and is packed neatly in one file that needs to extract from one huge file all the time *clinches fist at Path of exile*.

edit: a source https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8661 ... ndex2.html
Not for an Console, take a look of the newest External SSD, it boost Ps4 and Xbox. Newest USB 3.2 Gen 2x2,
https://shop.westerndigital.com/product ... 00ABK-WESN
===========
Luckymobile (AC+BF deal), 20$ unlimited calls/ text + 3.25gig
Sep 16, 2011
598 posts
681 upvotes
Southern AB
NirajP wrote: Primarily for gaming, I don't know how ssd behave during extended gameplay, does it involve constant reading/writing? Specific to high file size games like COD WWII or RDR2
Jep4444 wrote:
The only time games write to an SSD is at installation and when you are saving your data (this includes auto-save). Games primarily read from the SSD and dump the data into RAM. Most of the things you do when gaming will be written to RAM, not to storage.

It doesn't sound like your workload is at all dependent on quality of SSD. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between a low end SSD and an SN750 unless you sat there actually timing things, and even less so for the SX8200 Pro vs SN750. The only 2TB SSDs I see cheaper ATM are either SATA (Adata SU800 at $260 being by far the best deal if you're just using it as a game drive) but if you want to go NVMe or even just m.2, the only one substantially cheaper is the Adata SX8100 and I do NOT recommend that drive as it's prone to running hot and overheating. There are a few other drives close to in price(ie SATA m.2 WD Blue or sata Crucual MX500), none are worth saving a few bucks for.
I installed the XPG SX8200 last night after deciding to keep it when I saw this deal for the SN750. I recently RMA'd a 1TB HP NVME so I was using my 500GB SATA Samsung EVO force for a few days. I couldn't tell the difference between the SX8200 and SATA EVO for gaming. I didn't see any reason to exchange it for the SN750, except for maybe the differences in warranty service quality but I've read both ADATA and WD are pretty decent for that, and both have a 5 year warranty.
Last edited by seriosbrad on Jun 30th, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
BertL67369 wrote: Not for an Console, take a look of the newest External SSD, it boost Ps4 and Xbox. Newest USB 3.2 Gen 2x2,
https://shop.westerndigital.com/product ... 00ABK-WESN
The PS4 and XB1 can't even interface with that drive above USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds, which is much slower than the speed of that drive. It's also well established that the way the PS4 and XB1 work, while they do benefit from SSDs, they don't benefit as much as one would like.

Also, this drive is slower than NVMe SSDs because those interface directly with PCIe, which is faster than USB 3.2 gen 2x2. I suspect what you're looking at is just an SN750 shove into an external enclosure that is slower than Thunderbolt and runs on an interface that is uncommon in current laptops.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
seriosbrad wrote: I installed the XPG SX8200 last night after deciding to keep it when I saw this deal for the SN750. I recently RMA'd a 1TB HP NVME so I was using my 500GB SATA Samsung EVO force for a few days. I couldn't tell the difference between the SX8200 and SATA EVO for gaming. I didn't see any reason to exchange it for the SN750, except for maybe the differences in warranty service quality but I've read both ADATA and WD are pretty decent for that, and both have a 5 year warranty.
Ya, most users won't actually notice a difference 99% of the time. I do notice my computer boots a little faster and Chrome opens a little quicker since moving from a SATA SSD (Evo 850) to NVMe SSD (Silicon Power P34A80, somewhat comparable to the SX8200 Pro, probably a little better) but nothing world changing. I also "downgraded" to a WD Blue SN520 (OEM version of the SN500) and still didn't notice a difference (I put the P34A80 in my laptop cause I wanted the extra storage space in there since it's 1TB and my laptop came with a 256GB, my laptop also feels no quicker since the change).
Nov 24, 2018
765 posts
980 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Jep4444 wrote: The PS4 and XB1 can't even interface with that drive above USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds, which is much slower than the speed of that drive. It's also well established that the way the PS4 and XB1 work, while they do benefit from SSDs, they don't benefit as much as one would like.

Also, this drive is slower than NVMe SSDs because those interface directly with PCIe, which is faster than USB 3.2 gen 2x2. I suspect what you're looking at is just an SN750 shove into an external enclosure that is slower than Thunderbolt and runs on an interface that is uncommon in current laptops.
Yes, basically I would benefit the SSD speed greatly help and the USB interface is better value than firewire
Alternatively, the WD black p10 HDD 4TB is great choice for console. But SSD would definitely be helpful for upgrading a console
===========
Luckymobile (AC+BF deal), 20$ unlimited calls/ text + 3.25gig