108 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Got one without tax. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7368 posts
930 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anyone tore down one yet to see its build quality?

If it's rated 10A, chances are, it's most likely using one of these relay (which are certified cRU thank god, hopefully a genuine one that is)

May 10, 2006
898 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
shylok wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:53 am
Is there a more reputable option for Alexa? The tp link minis don't work with it, and for smart things you have to do a hack.
It should work with Alexa. Just add the TP-LINK Kasa skill and you are set. I have the HS-105.
Mobile: $40 - Telus Student 50 Plan MTM ($10 BYOD) - 500 mins anytime, eve/wknds @ 5PM, 5GB data, unl text, FAV10, CID and VM25
Cable/Internet: $104+tax - VIP, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
May 13, 2009
4574 posts
7482 upvotes
Scarborough
+1.
Why support these no name 3rd party sellers with questionable quality and have these plugged in your home when you can get Tp-link / Belkin for about the same price?

Fakespot D -
https://www.fakespot.com/product/leelbo ... ter-1-pack

//
Colleenlicious
5.0 out of 5 starsI put the smart socket on my tv since I lost the remote ...
November 16, 2017
Style Name: 1 Pack|Verified Purchase
I put the smart socket on my tv since I lost the remote control, it works really well. The idea to control through cellphone app is cool. And the app is easy to install.

//

Really??? What a "smart" way to waste the smart socket. I don't think that's even possible to turn on the TV with a smart socket. a $3 universal remote from Dollarama will do the job.

Don't be fooled by the "verified purchase", the reviewer buys the products, gives a 5 star review, the seller then refunds the money (no refund for 1 star review). Reviewer gets cashback AND credit card points. Unfortunately that's how the scheme runs now... =(

ahoroba wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:11 am
TP-LINK HS100 Wi-Fi Smart Plug, sold by BestBuy Canada (currently on sale for $19.99), bulkier (blocks two wall outlets) and without the USB port, it works with Amazon Alexa:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tp ... mrs_ls_vwd

Or try the Insignia brand of Wifi outlets sold by BestBuy Canada (currently on sale for $19.99), although without the USB port:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... mrs_ls_vwd

Another option (minus the USB port) is Wemo Mini Smart Plug (only works with Alexa, Nest, or its own Wemo app), which comes on sale for $24.99 at Amazon (and other retailers) from time to time.
Eladmk
Moderator / Deal Sniper
RedFlagDeals.com Forum Rules
hot-deals/announcement-a.html
May 5, 2017
117 posts
12 upvotes
eladmk wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:12 am
+1.
Why support these no name 3rd party sellers with questionable quality and have these plugged in your home when you can get Tp-link / Belkin for about the same price?

Fakespot D -
https://www.fakespot.com/product/leelbo ... ter-1-pack
Indeed. Rather insane to let an untrusted brand into your house and give it wifi connectivity and a chance to destroy your property risking the insurance claim being void. To save $10.
May 9, 2005
55 posts
15 upvotes
jg123 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:41 am
It is worth noting that folks in the questions section say this is not compatible with Google home or at the very least very difficult to use.
I have this unit and it's compatible with my ghome mini
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2216 posts
194 upvotes
Bafonso wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:19 am
Indeed. Rather insane to let an untrusted brand into your house and give it wifi connectivity and a chance to destroy your property risking the insurance claim being void. To save $10.
I don't even give the reputable brand access to the internet, they can all go through my Smart hub.

Have you logged how often a wifi switch phones home and where? My tplink have been accessing Edu.cn sites from the look of things it is for the ntp.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
3973 posts
66 upvotes
Yesterday I got two TP-100 plugs from bestbuy for $19.99 and a cheaper amazon one.

All three work flawlessly together. I created an alexa group for "Alexa, turn on our christmas lights" and she lights up three areas of our living room. Brilliant.