92 posts
38 upvotes
I think you mean "The Best Show In the History of Television"
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11731 posts
2371 upvotes
Toronto
My all time favorite show.. must resist. Already have this on DVD (which I'll never watch again) and in HD with my Crave Tv subscription.

Anyone know if the digital copies can be redeemed on Google Play store?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2211 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome, awesome, awesome show!
May 25, 2016
118 posts
18 upvotes
"[insert a show name here] is the best show ever, except maybe The Wire"... haha but yea it's my favorite show...
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11731 posts
2371 upvotes
Toronto
This is my fave show... but i should point out.. if you actually haven't seen this show (man, you're in for a treat if you haven't), it makes more wallet sense just to subscribe to Crave TV for a month or two and binge watch it in HD. Many other older HBO shows available on Crave.

Also, although this show is considered one of the greatest shows ever made, I've found many people don't like it, so maybe try before you buy.
Aug 12, 2010
357 posts
186 upvotes
inocent wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 8:17 am
One of the best shows ever made.
True, but if you have access to Amazon Prime US it's free to stream. Or record it with Playnow like a vcr
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Jul 5, 2004
22937 posts
2620 upvotes
Absolutely amazing show. I've seen it 3 times now and I just know I'll watch it again one day
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1510 posts
424 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
biglaity wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 9:42 am
"[insert a show name here]The Shield, The Sopranos is the best show ever, except maybe The Wire"... haha but yea it's my favorite show...
Jul 7, 2009
501 posts
187 upvotes
This show's in 4:3 ratio even for blu-ray right?

If it is, then there's no point in upgrading from DVD to BD then ... my biggest gripe about the DVD version is it's in 4:3 with black bars on the side
Nov 29, 2011
341 posts
232 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
thanks OP. favourite show ever.
Nov 29, 2011
341 posts
232 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
number17 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 10:24 am

If it is, then there's no point in upgrading from DVD to BD then ... my biggest gripe about the DVD version is it's in 4:3 with black bars on the side
nope, they did a lot of work to bring the show to 16:9 HD.

david simon wouldn't let them change the aspect ratio of the show without restoring the original intent of each shot:
http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/
Oct 24, 2009
181 posts
158 upvotes
Brighton, Ontario
number17 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 10:24 am

Google is your friend. The blurays are 16x9.

From IndieWire (link):

"The entire series has been beautifully re-mastered in 16×9 Full-Frame HD from more than 8,000 reels of original 35mm camera negative, allowing for a tighter fit on widescreen TVs and computer/tablet screens. The original negatives were scanned, edited, dust-busted and color-corrected with great care and attention taken to stay true to the look and feel of the original Standard-Definition 4×3 version.

"Stripping away the PR-speak, that means HBO is reframing the entire show so that idiots won’t complain that it doesn’t fill up their flatscreens. They can spin staying “true to the look and feel” of the show, but David Simon and his crew made a deliberate artistic decision to stick with 4:3 even as other shows were going widescreen — even abandoning the process of “future-proofing” after the initial season. As director of photography David Insley explained:

“The reason the show has stayed 4×3 is because David Simon thinks that 4×3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie…. When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion — David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs — and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4×3.”

So, like the Seinfeld 16x9, it's widescreened from original 4x3, with the inherent problems that brings (i.e. some cropping of the top and bottom of the image).