[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Yi Dash Cam $59.99 Cdn with Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 3:32 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6457 posts
4672 upvotes
Oakville
It's strange to me that you guys have issues with cold temps. I have a 10 year old CarCam II that still works and it's never been too cold (even past -25C), though the battery doesn't last long on it's own any more. I also have a capacitor camera and it still works, but the cap didn't last much longer than a few months, so it immediately shut off without external power.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2611 posts
966 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Uberclk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:28 pm
i use these.. piggy back off a fuse that is only on when the car is on
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8553406e
https://www.ebay.com/i/252451993189?rt=nc
Thanks mate awesome stuff. Went ahead ordered stuff for the future.

I found out my USB Should turn off when the car is off from what google is saying. So since this is native USB to begin with I might go with that instead if it works and will save me headache for now. But the future I do plan on moving up North going want to do more anyways so might be very handy to do this myself of course and you helped me with that so thank you!
---
Koodo Long Term Customer!
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Enjoyments: ATVing, Northern Living, Online Shopping, Being Social Active.
Jan 15, 2010
310 posts
104 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:58 pm
what a weird way to name it.

70mph?
like it would stop recording if you go over 70 mph? - hide your illegal driving?
OR only record when you hit 70? - normal dashcam videos are boring

1. Chinese people usually misuse mph to refer km/h. Even though 70mai is literally 70mph, but it actually should be interpreted as 70 km/h.

2. I believe 70mai is kind of playing joke on one of the infamous Chinese car accident. The driver was speeding at 70 km/h and caused the accident. More on http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009 ... 451670.htm
Last edited by snailium on Jan 12th, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2611 posts
966 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:55 pm
It's strange to me that you guys have issues with cold temps. I have a 10 year old CarCam II that still works and it's never been too cold (even past -25C), though the battery doesn't last long on it's own any more. I also have a capacitor camera and it still works, but the cap didn't last much longer than a few months, so it immediately shut off without external power.
You know the point of the bat/cap right? The bat ones tend to die period and makes them unusable and some safety issues. But a Capacitor one last for ages and is hardly effected by heat, etc. Not meant to stay on just meant to provide fluid clean power to the electronics that is somewhat stable.
---
Self Employed: Youtube, Sites, Server Administrator, and more. I enjoy just getting my hands on anything if I can do it from home.
Mar 31, 2008
411 posts
174 upvotes
Airdrie
Is there a particular memory card people find works best with these? It doesn't look like it comes with one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6457 posts
4672 upvotes
Oakville
kanechart wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:01 am
You know the point of the bat/cap right? The bat ones tend to die period and makes them unusable and some safety issues. But a Capacitor one last for ages and is hardly effected by heat, etc. Not meant to stay on just meant to provide fluid clean power to the electronics that is somewhat stable.
Cap are still supposed to last for a limited time no? Main advantage of cap was supposed to be better heat resistance. My cap unit did stay on long enough to automatically shut down when new. Now it just dies instantly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6457 posts
4672 upvotes
Oakville
mcwilly wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:09 am
Is there a particular memory card people find works best with these? It doesn't look like it comes with one.
Supposedly there's long endurance cards for use in dashcams, but I've been using standard cheap microSD cards for over a decade without failure.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1170 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
CyniC- wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:47 pm
Be advised - this web cam doesn't function below -20C. The battery indicator keeps saying it's dead and goes in a reboot loop. The only way out of it is to have your car warm up. I just leave it unplugged when I park outside in cold weather. I'm in Edmonton and the past few days have been brrr.
Mine was still working after parking out there at -25... lets hope I don't have to do that again this winter.......... that was too cold for toronto...
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1170 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
mcwilly wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:09 am
This camera does warn you if your card is less than class 10. I just found a 32gb laying around and used it... works fine recording at the highest video quality
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2611 posts
966 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
I went ahead bought 64gig ssd for $31 off amazon with 1 day free shipping (prime).
https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-microSDXC ... croSD+64gb

Not sure if anyone has better suggestions though I wanted as big as possible for trips, and such so I could make an entire video out of them if I feel like it.

Question: Does anyone know the file sizes for this particular camera? this one don't forget is 1080P at 60 fps if you choose that and I will run mine at that but sadly the space used will differ with the same settings from camera to camera too depends on bitrate, etc.
---
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1170 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
kanechart wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:27 am
I went ahead bought 64gig ssd for $31 off amazon with 1 day free shipping (prime).
https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-microSDXC ... croSD+64gb

Not sure if anyone has better suggestions though I wanted as big as possible for trips, and such so I could make an entire video out of them if I feel like it.

Question: Does anyone know the file sizes for this particular camera? this one don't forget is 1080P at 60 fps if you choose that and I will run mine at that but sadly the space used will differ with the same settings from camera to camera too depends on bitrate, etc.
At the highest resolution, 3 min is 440MB
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2611 posts
966 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:30 am
At the highest resolution, 3 min is 440MB
Damn well still 7.4 hours is better then 10min I guess haha :)

Thanks for the info. Do you have a source on this or just a owner?

Edit: After Goolging I saw a video comparing the 30/60FPS:

If these are right then 30.1 = 226MB a Minute meaning it's only 4.8 Hours... Not sure if anyone can confirm that but darn! I wanted to run full load for 12 hours or so haha.

It be 151mb per minute at 30 fps closer to what you had suggested.
---
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2994 posts
1353 upvotes
Uberclk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:58 pm
i can tell you the seller wasn't last week as i had to buy from amazon.COM and pay shipping and taxes for global sale.. just received it two days ago.. would definitely bought from .CA instead.

the seller is good as the .COM is also sold from yi technology
Are you talking about the $39.99 that was on sale maybe a week ago? Any big,difference between the two? How would I return it back to amazon USA without paying shipping ?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1170 posts
345 upvotes
Toronto
kanechart wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:49 am
Damn well still 7.4 hours is better then 10min I guess haha :)

Thanks for the info. Do you have a source on this or just a owner?

Edit: After Goolging I saw a video comparing the 30/60FPS:

If these are right then 30.1 = 226MB a Minute meaning it's only 4.8 Hours... Not sure if anyone can confirm that but darn! I wanted to run full load for 12 hours or so haha.

It be 151mb per minute at 30 fps closer to what you had suggested.
I got this camera been using for about a month. I didn't care too much about extra long run time, so i just turned it up to the highest resolution, and let it run... checked some day time/night time video... does its job well enough. Plus, i can get the video from the camera to my phone using the camera's wifi within minutes. If it records more than a few hours of drive time, its good enough for me as I only drive 2 hrs a day.

If you are saying you want to go on a nice road trip and capture the drive on mountain roads, then you might want a gopro mounted external to the car...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
2611 posts
966 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:17 am
I got this camera been using for about a month. I didn't care too much about extra long run time, so i just turned it up to the highest resolution, and let it run... checked some day time/night time video... does its job well enough. Plus, i can get the video from the camera to my phone using the camera's wifi within minutes. If it records more than a few hours of drive time, its good enough for me as I only drive 2 hrs a day.

If you are saying you want to go on a nice road trip and capture the drive on mountain roads, then you might want a gopro mounted external to the car...
Nah nah nothing like the GoPro idea. It that I'm going back and forth from Thunder Bay in the near future. Be fun to have full recording time for it. But not required. Rather have highest quality in case of something.
---