[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Yi Dash Cam $59.99 Cdn with Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 3:32 pm
Nov 22, 2017
135 posts
61 upvotes
hailey21 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:38 pm
I picked this up the other day, I didn't know if it was a great deal or not I just didn't want to deal with waiting months by buying from China. I figured $60 for a dash cam was pretty good. Really easy to set up, and I finished tucking away the cable today, now i Just need a deal on a 64 gb card, I have a 32 in there now
Did you tuck wires in the side pillars? Or taped it all around?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10994 posts
5165 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Canadiansinner wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:35 pm
Depends on you vehicle, I’ve been able to completely tuck these in 3 of mine. I imagine most should.

fwiw, these were $39.99US in a previous deal so a lot of RFDers have them.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11337 posts
1759 upvotes
RFD
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:55 pm
It's strange to me that you guys have issues with cold temps. I have a 10 year old CarCam II that still works and it's never been too cold (even past -25C), though the battery doesn't last long on it's own any more. I also have a capacitor camera and it still works, but the cap didn't last much longer than a few months, so it immediately shut off without external power.
Does it last enough to write the video file to the card?

Aren't you an engineer? Open it and solder a new capacitor? Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 21, 2011
265 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Canadiansinner wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:16 pm
Ditto, had it in my cart for $59.99.

Thanks OP
i also added 2 into my cart but the price went up in the cart too :S is that suppose to happen?
RFD does not save you money, it makes you buy things you never realized that you needed at a decent price.
Feb 29, 2016
97 posts
58 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:48 pm
That's partly why I only use cheap cams, nothing over $50. Though that doesn't save you from a broken window. Hopefully thieves can tell the difference between a $50 one and a $200 one.
Blueskysea B1W is what I'm considering. $60, inconspicuous, capacitor, wifi, image quality comparable to the a119s, well reviewed:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/b ... iew.31743/
https://dashcamtalk.com/blueskysea-b1w/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/blueskysea.250/

Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bluesky ... 34734.html
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/B1W-1080P-Mini- ... 2382926577
Last edited by lykwd888 on Jan 12th, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8253 posts
6737 upvotes
Oakville
radeonboy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:45 pm
Does it last enough to write the video file to the card?

Aren't you an engineer? Open it and solder a new capacitor? Face With Tears Of Joy
It's always writing so nothing is lost when it powers off, so it's a minor issue. Only issue is that it doesn't stay on for 5 min like it used to, then turn off.

I am an engineer but a busy one :) I have a big list of items to do when I finally go on paternity leave.
Nov 27, 2016
64 posts
4 upvotes
It's not good for Canada weather for sure. look at this comment from Yi: "Thanks for leaving us this feedback about your experience with YI dash camera. We are looking at your case now. Actually, the operating temperature for the camera is -10℃-60℃" saw a few with battery problems as well.
Sep 7, 2016
8 posts
supermaster wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:41 pm
It's not good for Canada weather for sure. look at this comment from Yi: "Thanks for leaving us this feedback about your experience with YI dash camera. We are looking at your case now. Actually, the operating temperature for the camera is -10℃-60℃" saw a few with battery problems as well.
Wouldn't say all of Canada. Vancouver very rarely drops below -5℃
Oct 19, 2012
154 posts
61 upvotes
Montr
Canadiansinner wrote:
Yeah I tucked it up along the top and down the passenger side. I used a bit of tape under the glove box but it was surprisingly easy to hide the cable
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1338 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Canadiansinner wrote:
I got a WRX and i was able to tuck wires into the roof liner, then the side piller plastic down the side of dash and into it, thru the glove box and out into the center console, all without taking off a single piece of plastic with a bit of swearing lol... at the end, only 2 inch of wire is actually exposed and its way too much work to try and hide that.

I got 2 more to install for a matrix and x5.... i am sure I won't be so lucky with the X5... luxury vehicles usually have better fitted plastics.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1338 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Kevin8se7en wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:35 pm
Question about Xiaomi...
Are they a reliable brand that is simply somewhat unknown to a lot of people in North America? Kinda like Huawei
or
Are they a "knockoff brand" that makes a lot of low quality stuff that is a hit or miss? Like most of the stuff you'd find on AliExpress
Xiaomi brand is the ONLY brand from China that I was impressed by their quality & price. That doesn't happen very much if at all.

Phone is great, battery pack is great, this camera is great.
Nov 22, 2017
135 posts
61 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:53 pm
I got a WRX and i was able to tuck wires into the roof liner, then the side piller plastic down the side of dash and into it, thru the glove box and out into the center console, all without taking off a single piece of plastic with a bit of swearing lol... at the end, only 2 inch of wire is actually exposed and its way too much work to try and hide that.

I got 2 more to install for a matrix and x5.... i am sure I won't be so lucky with the X5... luxury vehicles usually have better fitted plastics.

I have 2017 wrx. Good to know you can hide pretty much all of it!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1338 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Canadiansinner wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:05 pm
Mine is a 2012... so maybe something could have changed in the center just below the fan controls. I have a hole there that opens up to all the space behind the glove box. check in the dark with a flash light would help you :)

Good luck
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1031 posts
573 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Canadiansinner wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:05 pm
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:12 pm
Mine is a 2012... so maybe something could have changed in the center just below the fan controls. I have a hole there that opens up to all the space behind the glove box. check in the dark with a flash light would help you :)

Good luck
I have a 2015 WRX and have the wires are completely hidden. I bought some black Milliput and used a rotary tool to shave down my Dashcam's mount. Attached it to the Rearview Mirror, and it's been holding well for over 2 years. If you do it like I did, you can cover the few inches of wire dangling with one of those plastic pieces meant to cover wires if you have a rearview mirror with powered buttons and all that. Looks nice and clean IMO.
Nov 21, 2017
342 posts
136 upvotes
Surrey BC
MarcinR wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:01 am
Can you please confirm that this dash cam does not have a GPS capability. I do not see it mentioned anywhere and that option is a deal breaker for me. Thanks.
I hate gps in dashcams. If I get in an accident and it's not my fault and on the video it says I was going 2km/hr over the limit I could get in trouble. I avoid daschcams that have gps.