• Feb 23rd, 2018 3:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4219 posts
724 upvotes
UrbanNomad1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 5:21 am
Ordered in the evening at 7pm, delivered next day at 10am! I have prime btw
impressive..u live near the miss warehouse?
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Mar 17, 2017
80 posts
16 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 5:32 am
impressive..u live near the miss warehouse?
Yeah... erin mills & 403... guess that helps when it comes to amazon shipping. Impressive nonetheless
Jan 11, 2016
343 posts
248 upvotes
Made in Canada
Alright, here's a short review on mine after a day of use.

Setup is super easy. The first time you turn on, it'll present a QR code to download the app on your mobile device. Connecting the app is super easy. The first time, you'll connect to the WiFi that the dashcam creates and it'll prompt you to enter the default password. After that, the camera will automatically connect to your iPhone whenever to open the app and hit "connect camera".

The dashcam itself records instantly after it receives power via the cigarette lighter, and the default (and lowest) time preference for display shutting off is 1 minute. You can tell that your camera is still recording by the flashing orange LED light. Video quality I think is superb, and I prefer higher resolution over the higher 1080p 60fps frame rate. One down side that I kind of noticed is that the camera lens is very wide, in my opinion a bit too wide. Makes viewing license plates a bit harder unless you are literally in front of the vehicle, however it captures everything around.

The YI app is very well built, making connecting and transferring your video fairly simple. You can preview the video on the YI app itself before actually transfer the video and you can also have live view on your phone. The downsides that I've noticed is that whenever you connect your camera to the app, it'll stop the current recording and start a new recording, and when you download the video from the camera to your phone, it'll stop recording overall.

Video recordings are set at a 3 minute interval. I personally find this a bit long, and it isn't adjustable. The microphone can be disabled as well as the YI logo. The G sensor however cannot, which is a bit annoying if you slam the door hard while it's on and whatnot.

Really the only thing that I find that bothers me a bit is the super wide angle, but the quality for the price is phenomenal. Would highly recommend.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1253 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
BiteSizeThumb wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 12:24 am
Alright, here's a short review on mine after a day of use.

Setup is super easy. The first time you turn on, it'll present a QR code to download the app on your mobile device. Connecting the app is super easy. The first time, you'll connect to the WiFi that the dashcam creates and it'll prompt you to enter the default password. After that, the camera will automatically connect to your iPhone whenever to open the app and hit "connect camera".

The dashcam itself records instantly after it receives power via the cigarette lighter, and the default (and lowest) time preference for display shutting off is 1 minute. You can tell that your camera is still recording by the flashing orange LED light. Video quality I think is superb, and I prefer higher resolution over the higher 1080p 60fps frame rate. One down side that I kind of noticed is that the camera lens is very wide, in my opinion a bit too wide. Makes viewing license plates a bit harder unless you are literally in front of the vehicle, however it captures everything around.

The YI app is very well built, making connecting and transferring your video fairly simple. You can preview the video on the YI app itself before actually transfer the video and you can also have live view on your phone. The downsides that I've noticed is that whenever you connect your camera to the app, it'll stop the current recording and start a new recording, and when you download the video from the camera to your phone, it'll stop recording overall.

Video recordings are set at a 3 minute interval. I personally find this a bit long, and it isn't adjustable. The microphone can be disabled as well as the YI logo. The G sensor however cannot, which is a bit annoying if you slam the door hard while it's on and whatnot.

Really the only thing that I find that bothers me a bit is the super wide angle, but the quality for the price is phenomenal. Would highly recommend.
how hard do you have to slam the door to kick off that G sensor? lol....
Jan 11, 2016
343 posts
248 upvotes
Made in Canada
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 12:44 am
how hard do you have to slam the door to kick off that G sensor? lol....
I'm not too sure as I've set my G sensor down to low, and it hasn't happened again yet.
Dec 27, 2007
490 posts
111 upvotes
Tangerined wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:40 am
This camera works fine in the winter. I'm on my second winter with it. It worked fine with it was -35 here during Christmas.
UrbanNomad1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:05 am
Yeah... erin mills & 403... guess that helps when it comes to amazon shipping. Impressive nonetheless
Does this one come with suction mounting kit or just the 3M tape as the video mentioned?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4916 posts
1357 upvotes
Halifax
Great camera, keep in mind this uses a built-in battery which is very unsafe. You do not want to leave this in direct sunlight 24/7. Since a dashcam is typically directly on the windshield, that means you cannot leave it there.

If you do, it can start to bulge, catch fire, smoke, and so forth. Damaging the unit, and possibly your car or lungs if you breathe it in.

My understanding is this cam does not take a capacitor. That is what you need for a camera to go on your windshield.

A battery can start bulging in just a few short hours in the summer. It does not take months of repeating heat exposure. It sometimes takes just minutes.

Plenty of examples of this by simply searching dashcam bulging. or even phone bulging (this is the same reason you don't leave your phone in the car in the summer).

Anyways, be well informed. Great cam, just sucks they don't offer capacitor support yet.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7571 posts
5879 upvotes
Oakville
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:58 am
Great camera, keep in mind this uses a built-in battery which is very unsafe. You do not want to leave this in direct sunlight 24/7. Since a dashcam is typically directly on the windshield, that means you cannot leave it there.

If you do, it can start to bulge, catch fire, smoke, and so forth. Damaging the unit, and possibly your car or lungs if you breathe it in.

My understanding is this cam does not take a capacitor. That is what you need for a camera to go on your windshield.

A battery can start bulging in just a few short hours in the summer. It does not take months of repeating heat exposure. It sometimes takes just minutes.

Plenty of examples of this by simply searching dashcam bulging. or even phone bulging (this is the same reason you don't leave your phone in the car in the summer).

Anyways, be well informed. Great cam, just sucks they don't offer capacitor support yet.
Is the battery really unsafe? Have you experienced this problem? Even if you did, is the rate of incidence higher than the phones we carry in our pockets?
I have at least a dozen of them in my family/friends' cars and none have had issues other then the battery life dying in the units that are 10+ years old.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4916 posts
1357 upvotes
Halifax
engineered wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:35 am
Is the battery really unsafe? Have you experienced this problem? Even if you did, is the rate of incidence higher than the phones we carry in our pockets?
I have at least a dozen of them in my family/friends' cars and none have had issues other then the battery life dying in the units that are 10+ years old.
Yes, I have had this happen. Not with this camera, but others (which does not matter too much, the concept applies. these batteries are not designed for prolonged heat exposure).

A lot of batteries already bulge when in direct sunlight. But unless it gets really bad, a user may never realize they have a ticking time bomb in their car. I had one, I took apart to replace the battery capacitor when I realized it was a battery version. The battery was only used for less than a day, and already bulged about 2x the size. You could not see it from outside the unit, only knew it once I opened it up.
Aug 2, 2010
61 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
hiker007 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 12:23 am
Does this one come with suction mounting kit or just the 3M tape as the video mentioned?
I didn't buy the version from Amazon, so I'm not able to confirm what comes with it. The Chinese version that I bought only came with a suction cup.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5858 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough
The Chinese one I bought came with 2 sided tape. I would of preferred suction cup because when I travel I could bring it with me for rental cars
Tangerined wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 1:25 pm
I didn't buy the version from Amazon, so I'm not able to confirm what comes with it. The Chinese version that I bought only came with a suction cup.