Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Xiaoyi Yi Car DVR 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dash Cam $49.99 [Lowest Ever]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 3:07 am
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4549 posts
1112 upvotes
Halifax
piggchop wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:42 am
I have this same dash cam. I never take it out and it's still going strong after 1.5 years of ownership. Endured ~ -25C to 25 C (always mounted in the car) so far. I was also concerned for the battery because people rated it to work from -10 C to 20 C. I always recommend to my family and girlfriend but they always say "Why need a dash cam unless you're an unsafe driver." Their loss I guess.
ganji wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:19 am
Can anyone chime in re battery vs capacitor per above? FYI there is no parking mode.

It is the heat that is the bigger concern when it comes to bulging.

I can almost guarantee most people who say they "have no issue" have not opened their dashcam to look at the state of the battery. I had one where I opened it up just after 4 hours on a hot day. There was no physical outside appearance of an issue but once I opened it, the battery bulged and was showing signs of punctures starting (the battery pushes against internal components and can get punctured).

Basically, you have no clue until you open it up.

If you speak to any expect about dashcams, they will all tell you the same thing. Capacitor only. It is not worth the risk of a battery.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4549 posts
1112 upvotes
Halifax
piggchop wrote:
I have this same dash cam. I never take it out and it's still going strong after 1.5 years of ownership. Endured ~ -25C to 25 C (always mounted in the car) so far. I was also concerned for the battery because people rated it to work from -10 C to 20 C. I always recommend to my family and girlfriend but they always say "Why need a dash cam unless you're an unsafe driver." Their loss I guess.
I've had similar people. You cannot reason with them. Ive gotten out of insurance claims because of my cam. I have gotten others to pay up for damages that would have been impossible without a dashcam. To each their own. If someone does not see the value in it, and they still don't get it after a simple conversation it is not worth the time and effort. Heck, I know people who have said after accidents they wished they had one and over a year later they still do not.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3046 posts
896 upvotes
Vancouver
Haydzx wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:15 am
Its back up to $70 :(
No, it's not. Read the OP. You need to use the coupon code to reduce.

Ron.
Nov 27, 2004
763 posts
93 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:59 am
It is the heat that is the bigger concern when it comes to bulging.

I can almost guarantee most people who say they "have no issue" have not opened their dashcam to look at the state of the battery. I had one where I opened it up just after 4 hours on a hot day. There was no physical outside appearance of an issue but once I opened it, the battery bulged and was showing signs of punctures starting (the battery pushes against internal components and can get punctured).

Basically, you have no clue until you open it up.

If you speak to any expect about dashcams, they will all tell you the same thing. Capacitor only. It is not worth the risk of a battery.
+1 - Agreed, and in the words of The Dragon's Den: "I'm out"
Confused Face
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4640 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:02 am
I've had similar people. You cannot reason with them. Ive gotten out of insurance claims because of my cam. I have gotten others to pay up for damages that would have been impossible without a dashcam. To each their own. If someone does not see the value in it, and they still don't get it after a simple conversation it is not worth the time and effort. Heck, I know people who have said after accidents they wished they had one and over a year later they still do not.
Don't ever say the A-word...cars don't magically crash themselves. Stupid drivers. A car crash is a car crash. 85% of crashes in Canada are due to driver-error and not mechanical failure. One thing you learn from racing drivers, they never say the A-word. An accident would be falling down the stairs.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Jan 4, 2013
250 posts
51 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:02 am
Exactly, I have almost been side swiped or had semis come way to close to taking me out on the highway, etc. that one day I said "F*** this, I am getting a dash cam, if not for myself but so insurance has proof". If you don't have proof its all hearsay and a pissing contest between 2 stories. Seen way to many shady insurance things that a dash cam saved people.

Is this the best cam? No, just like another poster pointed out, but if your on a budget and can't afford a capacitor camera or better quality one, for the $50 its more for my personal safety incase something happens.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4549 posts
1112 upvotes
Halifax
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:57 pm
Don't ever say the A-word...cars don't magically crash themselves. Stupid drivers. A car crash is a car crash. 85% of crashes in Canada are due to driver-error and not mechanical failure. One thing you learn from racing drivers, they never say the A-word. An accident would be falling down the stairs.
....what?
May 23, 2016
48 posts
19 upvotes
thanks op in for one. last time it went on sale it was
Total before tax: CDN$ 52.19
good dashcam. I got it mounted and never take it off. So far in Vancouver it's been going strong
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8714 posts
1257 upvotes
Montreal
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:57 pm
?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!! So when I call the insurance company, I should say. Hi, this is my policy #...I just got into a "WHOOPS DRIVER ERROR". *silence on the other end*. The driver caused an accident, why don't say accident? Is it a bad word all of a sudden in our society?

Yes, batteries BAD IN SUMMER! If you park in an outside parking lot from 9-5 for work in the blazing summer sun. Your car will be going over 45C, the battery will eventually bloat up and may blow/fire...especially these cheap China batteries! You got to take the camera inside to the office.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4640 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
yuprules wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:44 pm
?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!! So when I call the insurance company, I should say. Hi, this is my policy #...I just got into a "WHOOPS DRIVER ERROR". *silence on the other end*. The driver caused an accident, why don't say accident? Is it a bad word all of a sudden in our society?
You totally missed the point. There's an inherent difference between the words car crash/collision and car accident. Being negligent and getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs, alcohol, screaming kids, traumatic situations is not an ACCIDENT The word accident means the collision was unavoidable... So for example, if you are following too close to another vehicle and you rear-end them because a kid runs across the road and they brake hard? Is that an "accident"? Was it preventable?
The need to use the word crash was highlighted in a 1997 campaign initiated by the National Traffic Safety Administration to describe traffic events that are avoidable. The idea was to assign personal responsibility for traffic events in which the driver decided to drive while impaired from consuming alcohol. It was not viewed as an accident if someone made the decision to drink and drive and caused vehicles to crash.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Nov 13, 2006
603 posts
313 upvotes
piggchop wrote:
so on days when its 40 plus with humidity, the unit still going strong?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)