Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Xiaoyi Yi Car DVR 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dash Cam $49.99 [Lowest Ever]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2018 7:58 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4733 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
Dave510 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:15 pm
Accidents never meant unavoidable. It could mean it's unplanned and unintended, or something that happens by chance or without deliberate cause. The former is usually what people mean when they say car accident.
All I am saying, and nearly every road safety expert/NHTSA/Transport Canada are in agreement that using the word accident trivializes the seriously of motor vehicle collisions. Facts are facts and the facts show that motor vehicle fatalities have killed more people worldwide than the amount of fatalities from every war in the last 200 years combined. It's human nature to be defensive and easily say "it was unintentional" after you hit a car/person/animal/etc. That doesn't detract from the fact by-and-large Canadians are bad drivers. People laugh at "Canada's Worst Driver" but never really think they are part of the problem too.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8287 posts
8416 upvotes
yoshim wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:31 pm
Thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations for a better dash cam? Looking for one with permanent mount, front and rear camera. The really good ones seem to be $400+.
Yi makes a front and rear one for about $100usd on amazon. They just don't sell it in Canada.
Jul 8, 2008
460 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
flamez1000 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:24 pm
Been using the cheap $10 dashcam posted a couple months ago here. No capacitor, also just a battery...no issues in extreme cold or heat. It's hardly legible, can't read plates and can't see anything at night. Gonna stick that one on the rear and use this one as primary. Thanks OP!
For people who mount rear cameras, how do you run the wire and where do you plug in for power?

I think I have the same $10 one which was eventually refunded for not being 1080p
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3458 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am not sure about why is it a big issue regarding cap or bat. Capacitor doesn't hold much charges. In other words, it doesnt allow you to record video after you turn off the power from your car. A budged battery will probably give you the same amount of time before the camera shut off. As a result the only concern is battery caught on fire. However, how often we hear dam cam battery explode? I think it is just a gimmick.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4931 posts
1362 upvotes
Halifax
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:06 pm
I am not sure about why is it a big issue regarding cap or bat. Capacitor doesn't hold much charges. In other words, it doesnt allow you to record video after you turn off the power from your car. A budged battery will probably give you the same amount of time before the camera shut off. As a result the only concern is battery caught on fire. However, how often we hear dam cam battery explode? I think it is just a gimmick.
perhaps you should go back to the first few post where i post real examples of the dangers. It is certainly no gimmick. Those were just a few, there are many examples and horror stories online of using a battery. Are you implying all these examples are fake?

I've never once seen an "expert" recommend a battery for dashcam use in warm climates. If you go on dashcamtalk all the veterans will say to never use a battery and only use a capacitor. It is simply not worth the risk.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1253 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:47 pm
perhaps you should go back to the first few post where i post real examples of the dangers. It is certainly no gimmick. Those were just a few, there are many examples and horror stories online of using a battery. Are you implying all these examples are fake?

I've never once seen an "expert" recommend a battery for dashcam use in warm climates. If you go on dashcamtalk all the veterans will say to never use a battery and only use a capacitor. It is simply not worth the risk.
Its a 40 dollar cam. We dont live in the tropics. This is fine. Chill out. Lol
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
1723 posts
263 upvotes
What memory card is everyone using for this ?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4931 posts
1362 upvotes
Halifax
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:09 pm
Its a 40 dollar cam. We dont live in the tropics. This is fine. Chill out. Lol
our weather is warm enough to at a minimum bulge a battery, which leads to the other implications. don't spread misinformation.
PS: I am quite chill. Have my heat pump set to artic mode. Practically have to wear 3 sweaters. It is soooo nice.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3458 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
neverhaveiever wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:47 pm

All experts needs to cover their asses. In other words, whatever happens, they will need to be accountable, no matter how slim the chance it is that it happens. If you are so scared, you can remove the battery altogether. Set the time of video to be shorter. It really doesn't make too much of a difference.
Capacitor does pop too.
You can also solder a cap to where the battery is. It probably cost you like $2.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4931 posts
1362 upvotes
Halifax
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 7:45 pm
All experts needs to cover their asses. In other words, whatever happens, they will need to be accountable, no matter how slim the chance it is that it happens. If you are so scared, you can remove the battery altogether. Set the time of video to be shorter. It really doesn't make too much of a difference.
Capacitor does pop too.
You can also solder a cap to where the battery is. It probably cost you like $2.
Yes, that is exactly why you need a dashcam that supports a capacitor to properly save the video.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
1856 posts
463 upvotes
Ottawa
thats a great price. Bit this thing looks kinda big and not really that stealthy. I wish they had more of those cylindrical ones that are much smaller at a good price.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1007 posts
249 upvotes
YYC
Hey guys, how does the mount work for this cam? Once you mount it to your windshield, can it be removed to be put in another car?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1818 posts
446 upvotes
Vancouver
It looks like a sticker mount. You would stick the mount to one car and leave it. You can buy extra mounts. The camera looks like it uses the same mounting system that many dashcams use. Just buy extra mounts and cable if you want to use the camera in multiple vehicles.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8287 posts
8416 upvotes
Importz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:21 am
Hey guys, how does the mount work for this cam? Once you mount it to your windshield, can it be removed to be put in another car?
BooR4dL3y wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:07 am
It looks like a sticker mount. You would stick the mount to one car and leave it. You can buy extra mounts. The camera looks like it uses the same mounting system that many dashcams use. Just buy extra mounts and cable if you want to use the camera in multiple vehicles.
I as mentioned in the first post. If you're concerned about reusing the mount, stick the mount onto a random glass cell phone screen protector, you might have laying around, and then stick the screen protector onto your windshield. That way if you want to reuse it, you can easily peel the mount from the glass.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)