• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 8:26 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3828 posts
3355 upvotes
ahammad wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:04 am
Has anyone used this mounted near a window to get exterior surveillance? I wanted to get an outdoor camera but wiring it will be a pain. This seems like it might work if I stick it in a window near the door.
Just tape off the IR LEDs and it will work fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3828 posts
3355 upvotes
CHIA wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:11 am
IR/night vision doesn't work with camera against glass, reflects back into own lens, but daytime and non IR works fine with any model.
Groan... the 'night vision' works perfectly fine through glass. You do have to tape off the IR LEDs if you get glare or reflections.

Remember: these are NEAR IR cameras, NEAR IR passes through glass without issue. You are thinking of FAR IR which requires more exotic materials for transmission.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3828 posts
3355 upvotes
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:43 am
Does it record to cloud for a micro sd card?
Both. You have to pay for cloud recording.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3828 posts
3355 upvotes
jmb2027 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:56 am
Do they offer free cloud for a few days?
Yes, there is a free trial, I can't remember if it was 7 days or a month.
Feb 18, 2012
320 posts
177 upvotes
Aurora
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3828 posts
3355 upvotes
FWIW I pay for the service ($7/month or something?) and have found it worth while.

Does mean I use a TON of upload bandwidth a month... :)
Untitled (1).png
Aug 19, 2018
989 posts
1055 upvotes
It should be $10 a month or $100 a year per camera for a 15 days cloud retention recording.

Which is rather steep of a cost if you ask me.
Sep 7, 2014
428 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
ahammad wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:04 am
Has anyone used this mounted near a window to get exterior surveillance? I wanted to get an outdoor camera but wiring it will be a pain. This seems like it might work if I stick it in a window near the door.
I had the wyze cam mounted above garage door outdoors. I wanted to see how it will withstand -20 degrees. So far its running good. And cloud storage is a big plus for me. I have multiple Yi cameras indoors and they are great running for a year now.
Sep 16, 2013
777 posts
426 upvotes
SW ON
Does it have an RTSP server? If not, is there an alternative firmware like Dafang?
Aug 19, 2018
989 posts
1055 upvotes
I personally have been running the Wyze because it has free cloud storage, but the 12 second record time and the delay definitely made it a little bit of a hit and miss.

I mean, it is okay if you set it to 24/7 recording and relies on the cloud for timestamp/detection, but then you run into the problem of people stealing the camera in the event of a break-in and losing footage.

So now I'm wondering if you can use something like this micro SD to SD Extention cable and then use something like this wifi share SD card adapter to make the storage remotely accessible and therefore able to copy it and send it to any cloud storage yourself.

Probably will require your own script and server but at the very least you are not paying hundred into each camera every year.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12380 posts
2915 upvotes
RFD
Cucumference wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 12:44 pm
I personally have been running the Wyze because it has free cloud storage, but the 12 second record time and the delay definitely made it a little bit of a hit and miss.

I mean, it is okay if you set it to 24/7 recording and relies on the cloud for timestamp/detection, but then you run into the problem of people stealing the camera in the event of a break-in and losing footage.

So now I'm wondering if you can use something like this micro SD to SD Extention cable and then use something like this wifi share SD card adapter to make the storage remotely accessible and therefore able to copy it and send it to any cloud storage yourself.

Probably will require your own script and server but at the very least you are not paying hundred into each camera every year.
Nice. Didn't know these adapters and cable existed. Might buy a few and try them out.
Feb 4, 2012
30 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
I have 8 of them and I would not recommends them. They have no RTSP and that particular model can't be hacked like the others one from YI (well they can but no RTSP, some people are working on this but I wouldn't put my hope too much, there's no incentive to do). They also often lose connection or just won't accept connection from a particular device.
Jan 28, 2014
555 posts
180 upvotes
I'm just looking for something I can put where there is an existing light fixture with no subscriptions.

Similar to the Netatmo Presence but lower price.

I know Ring and Nest have options but don't want to pay monthly for cloud recording.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
1890 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
i used to have the yi dome camera, but the app sucks, there is no pop-up notification when motion is detected (i m on an android platform). anyone experiences the same?

however, wyze cam's app has pop-up notification whenever there is motion.
Nov 10, 2003
606 posts
169 upvotes
BC, Canada
alpovs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 12:42 pm
Does it have an RTSP server? If not, is there an alternative firmware like Dafang?
A Firmware with full 1080p RTSP fw is about to be released.
Search yi-hack-v4
https://github.com/TheCrypt0/yi-hack-v4/releases/

do not use v3. the current v4 does not have RTSP but it has been released to people who donated to the guy. should be public soon
Last edited by Loto_Bak on Feb 19th, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.