• Mar 2nd, 2015 1:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 4, 2005
286 posts
29 upvotes

Amazon.ca - you sneaky buggers

So, I'm posting this to see if it has happened to anyone else.

So I saw an amazing deal on Amazon.ca for this item for approx $13

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KL7VSR6/ref= ... 00_TE_item

When I placed the order, Amazon said it was temporarily out of stock but would ship when available. I placed the order on Jan 10th and regularly check my account orders to see what the status of my orders is. Today, I was curious to see what the status of the above item is and to my surprise the item is no longer in my order history. It has been deleted!! WTF? I go back and check my Amazon order confirmation email and sure enough, it's in my email...but not in my online Amazon order history.

I think this is quite a sneaky trick by Amazon to delete an item in my account with no notification or anything. You can bet that I'm calling up customer service tomorrow and giving them hell.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm quite surprised that this happened as all my Amazon shopping experiences have been positive.

Cheers.
11 replies
May 29, 2008
721 posts
245 upvotes
Hamilton
blacknissan wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 9:44 pm
You can bet that I'm calling up customer service tomorrow and giving them hell.
I feel bad for the person that had nothing to do with this that's going to get hell.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2462 upvotes
Montréal
LOL, dude, even for $13 it's still iffy...and who in their right mind would buy at the reg price? LMAO. I dunno about you man hahah.

Anyway, write directly to their CEO, Jeff (he has a direct email and it's encouraged). He was amazing when I had a snag for a purchase. I would give them the benefit of the doubt re this technical snafu and would assume that they will make you right. GL.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1870 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
There is no obligation to fulfil orders that are the result of pricing errors. It's standard and sensible.
Jan 28, 2015
196 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
4 pieces of plastic for $100. Blazing hot deal!!! Bought out their entire inventory, sorry OP.
Apr 27, 2009
181 posts
20 upvotes
Maritimes
I find that Amazon often doesn't have items in stock. They may or may not indicate that in the listing, so you wait and wait and it doesn't arrive. Eventually they contact you and let you know they plan to send it to you when they get it, which could be months in the future. It's a sneaky way of getting you to buy it from them, when you could have bought it from somebody else and had it by now. There are usually third-party sellers on Amazon who have the same items in stock, and are not allowed to play that game (it would negatively affect their seller rating and could lead to their suspension). If they list an item, they have to have it in stock and ship the item within 2 business days. So Amazon cheats by listing it for less, offering free shipping, etc., to steal the sale when they have no intention of shipping it to you for months.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6203 posts
842 upvotes
I'm not aware of any retailer who has an absolutely accurate stock count of everything. They do book orders and then find the shelf is empty. It's one of the realities you have to accept with online ordering. Contrary to noahboady's belief that Amazon is out to scr** him I believe this just to be the normal ordering/stocking issues found with any retailer. You're free to shop elsewhere. I don't have any problems with Amazon but then I know better than to place orders on items that are showing out of stock.
Apr 27, 2009
181 posts
20 upvotes
Maritimes
My point is, Amazon knows it's a bad business practice, so they come down hard on sellers who do it. But they do it themselves on a regular basis. They don't always say it's out of stock. You find that out later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5424 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
toomuchpie wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 10:10 pm
I feel bad for the person that had nothing to do with this that's going to get hell.
+1, OP, how did the earful to the CS rep go today? Did you get the usual $10 off your next order?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Feb 28, 2015
52 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's weird. If you go to a physical retail store and something is priced lower than it was meant to be, they have to give it to you at the lower price. Should be the same for online merchants!! Bad on you, amazon.ca.
Aug 27, 2010
591 posts
111 upvotes
To OP, how did the "raising hell" go? I bought the same item, and they also cancelled the order over a month later, and the order disappeared from my history. What was interesting was that they had sent me an email to say that the item had shipped and to expect it soon about 2 weeks before. No item ever arrived, and I had to go after them to credit the GC that I had used to pay for the item. Not impressed with the way that they handled things.