• Jun 15th, 2019 10:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4089 posts
4405 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon Canada] Zojirushi NP-HCC10 Rice Cooker Made in Japan $314.49

$300 rice cooker is not for everyone, but this is the real deal Made in Japan model which rarely goes on sale.

This is second lowest price in history from trois camels.

3% ebates for kitchen right now!

***UPDATE: 1L model back to regular price now.
1.8L model (HCC18) now at $356.99***
1.8L here:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VAG84HY/
Last edited by er34er34 on May 24th, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
62 replies
Feb 18, 2007
369 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 1:38 am
$300 rice cooker is not for everyone, but this is the real deal Made in Japan model which rarely goes on sale.

This is second lowest price in history from trois camels.

3% ebates for kitchen right now!
Ok.

I've used the same $80 rice cooker for the last 6 years. Seems to work fine? Is a $300 rice cooker going to make my rice wayyy better?
May 3, 2012
47 posts
38 upvotes
Victoria
I have a Zojirushi rice cooker I bought on Amazon. It is fine but I can't taste the difference of rice cooked in it and rice cooked in a cheap rice cooker at my parents house when I was a kid. One issue I currently have is that it takes 60 minutes to cook rice in my Zojirushi. I vaguely remember rice was cooked much faster like 20 minutes with a cheap cooker but I am not sure. Anyone has a rice cooker that can cook fast like that ? If yes which brand is your rice cooker ?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8032 posts
3608 upvotes
MVRD
danascully wrote:
May 24th, 2019 2:30 am
Ok.

I've used the same $80 rice cooker for the last 6 years. Seems to work fine? Is a $300 rice cooker going to make my rice wayyy better?
If it works for you, it works for you.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8032 posts
3608 upvotes
MVRD
queenofhearts wrote:
May 24th, 2019 3:21 am
Moral of the story : Asians don’t let other Asians buy crappy rice cookers .
Either Zojirushi or Hitachi (IH Pressure rice cookers)...can't go wrong with either of them.
Jul 29, 2016
156 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
try GCR, they may have 10% rebate on kitchen stuff.
Sep 14, 2012
213 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
I have had one of these rice cookers for years and could not be happier. The induction heating is fantastic..none of that burned nonsense on the bottom or if you cook the rice and let it sit for hours. 2 automatic time settings. I use one of them to make oatmeal that is ready for me in the am for breakfast..

The quality difference here is far and away better than your average cheapie rice maker.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1077 posts
1983 upvotes
Markham
This is like the $800 pizza oven. Either you care about your pizza/rice/bread/ice cream/tacos or whatever enough to splurge (and can taste the difference), or you don’t.

If you don’t think you need a $300 rice cooker, then you probably don’t.

If you’re a rice connoisseur, then maybe check out the other thread with the $450 rice cooker as well.
Sep 9, 2014
409 posts
285 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I own this model. I upgraded from a $10 rice cooker to this $300 model, 5 years ago.

Is there a difference? Absolutely yes. Given we’re cooking the same rice.

Is it worth $300? Yes, if you can afford it.

This rice cooker and the zojirushi water boiler (made in Japan) are my best two investments. My wife loves them the most.

If you eat rice and like rice, you’ll love this zojirushi.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1186 posts
2303 upvotes
I think this is the better buy over the pressure cooking one in the other thread.
Less limitations as to what you can cook in it, and cheaper.
You don't need MICOM, induction heating, AND pressure cooking.
nUseBro wrote:
May 24th, 2019 2:59 am
If only I had known that asians judge you for your rice cooker selection and weather or not it has an elephant on the model.

TLDR; Asian people will mock you for your peasant 80$ rice cooker. So you should definitely upgrade for fear of losing your girlfriend like me.
This is true, they might not say it to your face, but you will definitely be judged. Buying a non MIJ Zoji/Tiger, you will at least get a few comments about how Japanese units are better, or how their 20 year old MIJ cooker is still performing excellent to this day.
Apr 2, 2008
462 posts
123 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
May 24th, 2019 4:04 am
Either Zojirushi or Hitachi (IH Pressure rice cookers)...can't go wrong with either of them.
Toshiba is a good one too.

Btw, Made in Japan doesn't have much meaning comparing to made for Japanese (no English, no exporting, grade 1 quality)
Save a lot but end up spending more :confused:
Aug 19, 2006
54 posts
15 upvotes
Have one for 10yr and the best. Sister has other model non IH and can never duplicate rice quality even when i use especially when i make saffron rice. It turns out dryer. IH has been around for 25 yrs in Japan (Used to live there). It heats thicker pot more evenly às using induction rather than just bortom element. All rice cookers have IH in Japan for the past 20 yrs. Tortuous part is you can get a nice IH machine for about $120 there with infinite choices and colour. You cannot bring to Canada as 100V vs 110-120V makes huge diff in microprocessor and rice will no be idea. Was advised by electonic professisonal friend not to when i japan. Inrernational models there are slim and not cheaper only domestic ones are bargain. It will probably still cook rice fine but not ideal.

Just sink the money as it will last 20 yrs esp if you eat rice all the time. Must be IH....

Good for porridge too in morning

Can leave rice for long time days if good japanese rice (to lessor extent for California rice). True japanese rice is shorter..moister..and polished so very white.. rare to find in canada. Japanese people will cook for breaky and eat same stuff for dinner leaving cooker on all day and it tastes same
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1186 posts
2303 upvotes
bluewish wrote:
May 24th, 2019 7:32 am
Toshiba is a good one too.

Btw, Made in Japan doesn't have much meaning comparing to made for Japanese (no English, no exporting, grade 1 quality)
On a MICOM unit that is made for the JDM, you will definitely need to use it with a transformer.
Sep 20, 2018
10 posts
9 upvotes
emiliespam wrote:
I have a Zojirushi rice cooker I bought on Amazon. It is fine but I can't taste the difference of rice cooked in it and rice cooked in a cheap rice cooker at my parents house when I was a kid. One issue I currently have is that it takes 60 minutes to cook rice in my Zojirushi. I vaguely remember rice was cooked much faster like 20 minutes with a cheap cooker but I am not sure. Anyone has a rice cooker that can cook fast like that ? If yes which brand is your rice cooker ?
Get yourself an Instant Pot. We definitely use it for making rice more than any other meal. 4 minute manual pressure cook; takes about 10 minutes all-in to bring it to pressure and cook.

1:1 rice to water for Jasmine rice. Makes a perfect pot of every time.
Sep 8, 2006
753 posts
427 upvotes
Edmonton
emiliespam wrote:
The quick mode will cook the rice in about 18 minutes but quality will not be the same as the 1 hour cook mode.