[Amazon Canada] Zojirushi NP-HCC10 Rice Cooker Made in Japan $314.49

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 10:45 am
Oct 24, 2009
261 posts
80 upvotes
North York
Queen Cerci wanted elephants too.

Imho, the brand is worth every penny: build, quality, and performance. I’ve had the rice cooker and water boiler for over 12 years, both going strong. Use them every, single, day. But to each it’s own.
Feb 3, 2019
100 posts
110 upvotes
How does this compare to Instant Pot?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2226 posts
1130 upvotes
North York
Murkdx wrote:
May 24th, 2019 10:30 am
How does this compare to Instant Pot?
Rice is perfectly cooked on the zojirushi, the cleanup is also much easier. I had to use the instapot to cook rice once, never again.
May 3, 2012
22 posts
13 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Simby wrote:
May 24th, 2019 8:14 am
The quick mode will cook the rice in about 18 minutes but quality will not be the same as the 1 hour cook mode.
The quick mode of my rice cooker takes 40 minutes.
Nov 28, 2011
818 posts
321 upvotes
Markham
I have this model for 5 years now. Use it 2 times weekly on average. Works like new and the rice comes out great

Full disclosure: wife is Asian and would not settle for inferior Western rice cooker
May 3, 2012
22 posts
13 upvotes
VANCOUVER
My experience cooking rice with my $150 Zojirushi and instant pot:
- Rice cooked better with Zojirushi. Instant pot rice was ok though.
- Zojirushi took 40 minutes quick mode, 60 minutes standard. Instant pot took me around 30 minutes with a 8 qt pot.
- Zojirushi keep warm feature is much better. I can leave cooked rice in there 24 hours and it would be still perfectly fine to eat, not dried up as with Instant pot or cheap rice cooker.
- No burned rice with Zojirushi ever. I didn't have burned rice with Instant pot, but usually had a thin layer of burned rice with a cheap cooker. However, I do like to eat burned rice.
- Zojirushi seems to be more tolerant with rice/water ratio. I usually just use my finger to measure water and still almost always get perfectly cooked rice. This is helpful because different rice brands may require slightly different rice/water ratios. When I buy a new brand on sale, I don't know how much water I need to use.

I agree with most people here that the zojirushi is very good. However, don't think it will last you for life. Mine lasted 5 years. It just died one day for no reason. I didn't know how to fix it so I just bought a new one. That is also a reason I would be hesitant to buy a $300 rice cooker.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1305 posts
1217 upvotes
Alberta
I found the answer to my question. The battery cannot be replaced by the user. Seems like an odd design choice...
Jul 28, 2010
486 posts
401 upvotes
Montreal
Lush78 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 8:37 am
Does this also have the same limitations as in the other thread, specifically the battery for the display that isn't user replaceable?
Ya, but if you use it twice per week you should be ok for years. I'm at my 7th year now. Battery is still good.
Dec 25, 2017
226 posts
450 upvotes
TehRFDAnomaly wrote:
May 24th, 2019 10:25 am
So, how long did you sit on this story just waiting for this rice cooker deal to show up? :D
made it on the spot, im really embarassed about my 2-pass rush-writing and they 8 typos and broken sentences to be honest.
Nov 4, 2014
94 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
danascully wrote:
May 24th, 2019 2:30 am
Ok.

I've used the same $80 rice cooker for the last 6 years. Seems to work fine? Is a $300 rice cooker going to make my rice wayyy better?
I'm an Asian, had a $10~ish Black & Decker rice cooker for years, it cooks rice (rice gets cooked, and edible). And then I bought this Zojirushi rice cooker from Amazon around 1~2 years ago, based on what I've tried, it cooks Sushi rice really well, works ok with Jasmine rice, and not so special on others like Basmati.
This little guy is certainly way better than the $10 one I had before, but considering the price, is it 20 or 30 times better? not so much.
Nov 4, 2014
94 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cockmeister wrote:
May 24th, 2019 10:11 am
Just use a pot with a lid... with the right amount of water, the rice will come out perfect every time.
If people don't forget to set a timer...
Sep 14, 2012
151 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Smythical wrote:
May 24th, 2019 7:50 am
Get yourself an Instant Pot. We definitely use it for making rice more than any other meal. 4 minute manual pressure cook; takes about 10 minutes all-in to bring it to pressure and cook.

1:1 rice to water for Jasmine rice. Makes a perfect pot of every time.
I have an Instant Pot and a Zorjirushi Induction pot. By far the Z is the one we use for rice. It's not even close.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4037 posts
2426 upvotes
blarg wrote:
May 24th, 2019 9:31 am
This will look great beside my $1000 pizza oven.
I once had an Italian girlfriend.....