• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 10:45 am
Sep 1, 2014
417 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
Dave510 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 5:25 am
This is like the $800 pizza oven. Either you care about your pizza/rice/bread/ice cream/tacos or whatever enough to splurge (and can taste the difference), or you don’t.

If you don’t think you need a $300 rice cooker, then you probably don’t.

If you’re a rice connoisseur, then maybe check out the other thread with the $450 rice cooker as well.
I care about my pizza and rice but the difference is I eat rice at least 5 times a week so the price is justified. I have a zojirushi already and def worth the investment.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16194 posts
1407 upvotes
Thornhill
konsensei wrote:
May 27th, 2019 3:28 pm
Has anyone tried this Aroma Housewares rice cooker?
https://www.amazon.ca/Aroma-Housewares- ... ay&sr=8-12

Apparently many good reviews on it
We've been using a $80 (sale $40) Aroma rice cooker for the last 10 years. Just recently, the gradients inside the pot started peeling off so we started looking for a replacement. If it weren't for that, we'd just keep using it. It's nothing fancy (only has white/sushi/brown settings, simple timer, simple non-stick pot, won't keep warm for 24h, etc), but it does its job. Knowing this, I'd be very hesitant to spend so much.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2983 posts
1229 upvotes
danascully wrote:
May 24th, 2019 2:30 am
Ok.

I've used the same $80 rice cooker for the last 6 years. Seems to work fine? Is a $300 rice cooker going to make my rice wayyy better?
I've had a $500 Cuckoo rice cooker and I also just bought this 2 months ago, also owned a cheaper one years back. This Zojirushi keeps rice fresh much longer. Rice on keep warm for 3 days tastes and looks like its just cooked. It stays fluffy unlike the $500 Cuckoo I had where the rice would get soggy after a day in the cooker. Only 2 parts to clean on the Zojirushi. So I prefer it over my $500 Cuckoo that I bought like 5 years ago. The Zojirushi is a better engineered rice cooker. If you eat rice a lot its worth it, but for those that eat rice maybe once every two weeks not worth it. Only thing this cooker is missing is the Pressure cook which reduces cooking time, for that feature you'd have to goto the $500 Zojirushi or the Cuckoo.