Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Zojirushi NP-NVC10 Induction Heating Pressure Rice Cooker 5.5 Cups (Made in Japan) - $458.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 11:03 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25559 posts
5790 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote: $450 for a rice cooker, insane
It's kind of amazing that there's only like one or two posts like this on this $500-rice-cooker thread and way more of the "debating" and crapping over in the $900-pizza-oven thread.

Honestly they are both insane IMO, but if I had to pick one to buy, the $400-more-expensive pizza oven still seems like it's the better deal.
Nov 25, 2016
519 posts
375 upvotes
Burnaby
I just make rice in my $15 rice cooker and dump that soup in the colander. Its about as perfect as I need rice to get. I can even do dum biriyani in it. I'm sure that this rice cooker has its purposes but the basic hardworking rice cooker needs to be shown some appreciation in a while.
Nov 25, 2016
519 posts
375 upvotes
Burnaby
prodacc wrote: My friend said Koshihikari rice was considered high-end, noooo idea where to get it but now I'm a man on a kiss-ion!
I hope more people try the kalijeera/jeerakasala/chingura variety rice. Its available in Bangladeshi groceries and its a great alternative to jasmine rice.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1142 posts
272 upvotes
Can someone give me a spoon of rice cooked by this thing so I can see if it's worth it?
HI
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4461 posts
1213 upvotes
Ottawa
wonton1017 wrote: Can someone give me a spoon of rice cooked by this thing so I can see if it's worth it?
$10 each LOL
Oct 18, 2009
66 posts
24 upvotes
wonton1017 wrote: Can someone give me a spoon of rice cooked by this thing so I can see if it's worth it?
I would love to taste a comparison of same rice cooked in different cookers
Nov 28, 2011
832 posts
339 upvotes
Markham
greg123 wrote: What kind of rice do you guys use from TNT? Japanese? Thai? Mainland China?
Personally my favorite is Japanese rice. I recommend Heisei Mart in JTown for some nice Japanese rice variety, if you're not too far from Markham. Other than that, T&T/FoodyMart type stores have decent mainstream-ish Japanese rice selection
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1030 posts
877 upvotes
Surrey
shamans wrote: I found Instant Pot (regular model) to be the worst automatic rice cooker there is. Cooks unevenly as the heating element is just at the bottom. I tried varying the water ratio and total amount of rice but it didn't matter much. Also, the rice easily sticks to the stainless steel pot, which is annoying.

I've tried many other rice cookers too (family, friends), including the original Tatung (double boiler) rice cooker / steamer.

I also bought a $300 Tiger IH rice cooker when I was in Japan when our currency was higher and brought it back. It runs on 100V and was marketed for Japanese market. It's the best rice cooker I've tried...although not the best rice I've eaten as some places I've eaten in Japan had even better outcomes.

Worst rice I've eaten was one time I ran out of rice and was desperate on short notice and bought rice from Save-On-Foods from their "Western Family" generic brand. Worst rice I tasted...it literally tasted like and had the texture of soft plastic. (To the point that I suspect that the rice was fake or tainted in some way)

I typically buy rice here from the better brands, like the Ox Head rice.

So here's what I would say: The rice cooker makes a difference. The rice you use also makes a difference. Not sure to what degree on each but I can definitely tell the difference between rice cookers easily. The rice cookers they sell in North America, by and large, are not good enough. They just don't have the discerning market as a country like Japan would.
Thx for the comment, now really wanted to try Western Family rice in this $450+ rice cooker to see how it makes perfect nice rice
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1487 posts
2877 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: It's kind of amazing that there's only like one or two posts like this on this $500-rice-cooker thread and way more of the "debating" and crapping over in the $900-pizza-oven thread.

Honestly they are both insane IMO, but if I had to pick one to buy, the $400-more-expensive pizza oven still seems like it's the better deal.
There are a lot of people in the world who eat rice multiple times everyday, but I don’t know of a single person (outside of ninja turtles, and pizza shop owners) who eats pizza as often.

Also many Breville products seem to have notoriously short lifespans, made in Japan rice cookers from Zoji and Tiger on the other hand have achieved some sort of god tier status for quality. It’s not uncommon to hear people talking about their 20-30 year old Zoji or Tiger.
Nov 25, 2016
519 posts
375 upvotes
Burnaby
Seems like this is price matched with Massdrop which has it for $336 usd.
Feb 2, 2017
381 posts
434 upvotes
nicermog wrote: Seems like this is price matched with Massdrop which has it for $336 usd.
Nice. Better service from Amazon too. If you don't like it, just send it back.

Thanks OP. I got one for my parents.

Don't for get, Great Canadian Rebates is 10% cash back for Kitchen right now. Comes to $460ish tax in after rebates.
Feb 23, 2005
195 posts
36 upvotes
I got a similar model (NP-ZC10-TD) with IH and pressure from Amazon Japan, for about the same price. That includes a step-down transformer, shipping, duty and tax.

It replaced a 10+ year old National barebone cooker, and rice come out much different. With the National the rice was inconsistent most of the time. And the Zojirushi makes perfect rice. I had a made in Japan Tiger Micom cooker (No IH and pressure), while it made better rice than the National, it wasn't near as good as the Zojirushi.

I believe IH is the key for thorough and consistent results, the pressure cooking function makes slightly better rice. And I think this cooker is only for people who's picky about their rice.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9532 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
hummm I wonder how uncle ben's rice would turn out... anyone care to experiment ?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."