Shopping Discussion

Amazon Canada charging return shipping on defective item?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 5:15 pm
[OP]
Oct 1, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
Thunder Bay

Amazon Canada charging return shipping on defective item?

Hey all,

So received an item today. Quickly identified it was defective. Went to initiate a return, and to my surprise instead of being offered a premade tag and it being paid, the only option was “I’ll ship and pay”. And of course they want it shipped to B.C. from Ontario...

So I had to pay $25 to ship it...

Anyone ever encounter this? I’ve never had it before.

Perhaps I’m just finally considered a pain in the butt customer. I have about a 28% return rate for this year.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4613 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
zobblplatz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 6:49 pm
Hey all,

So received an item today. Quickly identified it was defective. Went to initiate a return, and to my surprise instead of being offered a premade tag and it being paid, the only option was “I’ll ship and pay”. And of course they want it shipped to B.C. from Ontario...

So I had to pay $25 to ship it...

Anyone ever encounter this? I’ve never had it before.

Perhaps I’m just finally considered a pain in the butt customer. I have about a 28% return rate for this year.
Was it sold by/fulfilled by Amazon?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23414 posts
9044 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 6:49 pm
I have about a 28% return rate for this year.
I suspect this is your problem.
How are you returning 28% of your stuff?
I don't know my exact return rate, but I'd be shocked if it was 2.8%.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
Thunder Bay
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 7:41 pm
A mixture of ordering things that are fairly easy to damage in shipping, a girlfriend who is super indecisive and uses my amazon account and things just not performing to expectation. I also buy warehouse deals every chance I get.

I buy all sorts of crap from amazon, lately I did a new PC build and grabbed a few warehouse deals. Had to send a few back because well... warehouse deals...

My favourite was a power supply without a power cable. Who the hell ok’d that lol.

Funny thing, I was curious so I tried to open a refund on a random other item from recent and that one they would pay for. Weird.
Jul 20, 2017
47 posts
26 upvotes
Holy shit 28% that's a lot. I think they are sick of you :D

EDIT: Have you tried contacting amazon about this?
[OP]
Oct 1, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
Thunder Bay
TylerOakville wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:23 pm
Holy shit 28% that's a lot. I think they are sick of you :D

EDIT: Have you tried contacting amazon about this?
I don't want to add fuel to the fire. I don't mind paying that much, just curious if it had happened to others.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1776 posts
738 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Did you actually choose the correct reason when you filed the return? And, uh, how do you know that you have a 28% return rate? Did you figure it out yourself, or did Amazon tell you?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3926 posts
1878 upvotes
Vancouver
GeeCee wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 9:32 pm
Did you actually choose the correct reason when you filed the return? And, uh, how do you know that you have a 28% return rate? Did you figure it out yourself, or did Amazon tell you?
He has a 28% return rate.. I think he knows how to do a return! :)

Ron.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
Thunder Bay
GeeCee wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 9:32 pm
Yes, I picked item is defective.

I summed up all my returns over the past 12 months and divided my total orders by this value.
Jul 28, 2014
146 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 7:41 pm
This. I wouldn't be surprised if a ban from Amazon is coming next
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5176 posts
5724 upvotes
I think you probably hit the maximum number of return with a particular return reason(s). 28% doesn't say the number of orders you return. For example, if you only buy 4 items cost $25 each, then return 25% is normal. Do more research next time before hitting the "Place order" button. Amazon's AI can detect if you are giving the right return reason automatically. Besides, if Amazon has the impression you are using it as a free rental shop, then you will be in trouble.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5406 posts
3274 upvotes
Another thread for people who know nothing to make assumptions and fearmonger.
//
[OP]
Oct 1, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
Thunder Bay
lcmt wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 3:32 am
I think you probably hit the maximum number of return with a particular return reason(s). 28% doesn't say the number of orders you return. For example, if you only buy 4 items cost $25 each, then return 25% is normal. Do more research next time before hitting the "Place order" button. Amazon's AI can detect if you are giving the right return reason automatically. Besides, if Amazon has the impression you are using it as a free rental shop, then you will be in trouble.
I can still return other items for that reason and have them paid. So nope.

Literally just this one item is being like this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6726 posts
1329 upvotes
T dot 6
hvwozq wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 3:54 am
fearmonger.
I never thought I would hear the term fearmonging to describe Amazon returns. We are so lucky to live in Canada.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck