Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] UPDATED PRICE $ 154.99 Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2018 - Accounting Software 2018 50% OFF

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 2:51 am
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1171 posts
661 upvotes
djpr wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 2:52 pm
For those that are self-taught is it easy to learn Quickbooks via tutorial videos?
If you have a background in accounting, it should be easy or moderately difficult to learn it via tutorial videos and books.
Otherwise, you are in for a lot of pain...
Nov 30, 2002
499 posts
26 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
djpr wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 2:52 pm
For those that are self-taught is it easy to learn Quickbooks via tutorial videos?
I think it depends on your business a lot! For my business, going QB was a mistake.

When I started out I did an excel spreadsheet and it worked great. At that time I was under $30k, so I had no GST/HST issues to worry about. Also, USD and CAD were about equal, and I was doing most business in Canada at that time, so I didn't really have issues with currency exchange. I went QB when the exchange rate diverged again (2014, naturally), hoping that it could help me keep track. It can not.

1) QuickBooks (at least QB 2014) can't handle downloading mixed currency PayPal transactions.
2) QuickBooks (2014) can't handle HST Quick Method
3) QuickBooks breaks normal Windows shortcuts, for example Ctrl-A brings up Chart of Accounts, not Select All

It is really kind of horrible :/

But, I'm committed to it at this point, so I'm wondering if anybody knows whether any of my complaints are improved in the 2018 version :)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1402 posts
119 upvotes
I recently got a macbook and have been using Quickbooks for years. Is there an equivalent Mac installer that I can use the license from this with? Or is Quickbooks Online the only option for Mac users? I really don't want to pay a subscription.
adamm
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1608 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
May be a dumb/obvious question, I'm currently using Freshbooks, but does this include their online software too?

I'm a freelancer and just use Freshbooks to invoice.
We do case reviews. Period.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1402 posts
119 upvotes
vtse wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:17 pm
May be a dumb/obvious question, I'm currently using Freshbooks, but does this include their online software too?

I'm a freelancer and just use Freshbooks to invoice.
No. This is the desktop software only. Their online software is subscription based (monthly fee) similar to Freshbooks.
adamm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1155 posts
150 upvotes
teddy boom wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:09 pm
I think it depends on your business a lot! For my business, going QB was a mistake.

When I started out I did an excel spreadsheet and it worked great. At that time I was under $30k, so I had no GST/HST issues to worry about. Also, USD and CAD were about equal, and I was doing most business in Canada at that time, so I didn't really have issues with currency exchange. I went QB when the exchange rate diverged again (2014, naturally), hoping that it could help me keep track. It can not.

1) QuickBooks (at least QB 2014) can't handle downloading mixed currency PayPal transactions.
2) QuickBooks (2014) can't handle HST Quick Method
3) QuickBooks breaks normal Windows shortcuts, for example Ctrl-A brings up Chart of Accounts, not Select All

It is really kind of horrible :/

But, I'm committed to it at this point, so I'm wondering if anybody knows whether any of my complaints are improved in the 2018 version :)
Thanks for the reply.

My business is pretty straight forward so I don't expect similar issues to you.

Hopefully I can learn this as Excel sheet has outgrown my business.
Nov 30, 2002
499 posts
26 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
sonician wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 10:58 am
Does anyone know if this version includes inventory management?
QuickBooks Pro does inventory management, but for my business it doesn't really help. Since I'm sole prop, and my inventory is pretty chaotic (many times I'll only ever get 1 piece of a thing I sell), managing inventory on a spreadsheet was better. I could just put a line for every purchase during the year, mark the line as sold, in inventory, or thrown away.. Now with Quick Books I have a bunch of non-inventory items to catch the one offs, but I can't easily track the value.

Of course I also have regular items, and the inventory tracking for those items is pretty useful. Quick Books does a great job there. Tells you to order more if you want it to, keeps track of the average price. I'm not sure if Pro allows multiple pricing tiers (like this is a bulk customer, so they get a discount, vs. one off customers paying full retail), but I think it might.

The fact QB keeps track of outstanding invoices is good too of course. I have a couple right now that I might forget if I didn't have it automated..

For really small business, and really unique business structures, it isn't so great..
Last edited by teddy boom on Nov 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1080 posts
445 upvotes
Hamilton
Staples and Costco has better prices, easy return and FS, etc plus easy store pickup. Go local, reduce carbon print :)
Nov 30, 2002
499 posts
26 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
djpr wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:31 pm
Thanks for the reply.

My business is pretty straight forward so I don't expect similar issues to you.

Hopefully I can learn this as Excel sheet has outgrown my business.
No sweat! It is for sure a difficult decision. Going QuickBooks does have advantages, like automatically downloading transactions. It is still a very manual process integrating those transactions, but any automation is time saved.

One more thing.. I've forced QB to act as my point of sale system too. It took A LOT of work to get QB2014 to print to my receipt printer. I notice from the wiki page that newer version support "continuous feed label printers", so that's a huge plus.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1171 posts
661 upvotes
HamsiBrain wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:35 pm
Staples and Costco has better prices, easy return and FS, etc plus easy store pickup. Go local, reduce carbon print :)
Then, I would say go "digital download" from intuit.ca. It does not get closer to the source than that. Costco or Staples still sell Quickbooks with physical disks, jewel cases, and useless cardboard boxes...
Nov 17, 2007
75 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks OP.
I've been wanting to buy QB for about 2 years now and have noticed the price for 2018 has gone up quite a bit compared to previous years.
I remember when 2017 (or maybe 2016?) went on sale, it was around $149 and now the sale for 2018 has always been around $199.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1608 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
adamm wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:19 pm
No. This is the desktop software only. Their online software is subscription based (monthly fee) similar to Freshbooks.
Gotcha, as a freelancer, just myself, is there any benefit of Freshbooks over this? Freshbooks costs quite a penny every year...
We do case reviews. Period.
Jun 4, 2017
20 posts
2 upvotes
Is the 2018 version backwards compatible with older versions? If not it is pretty much useless unless you accountant is on the latest version as well. I ran into this problem last year because I accidentally did everything on the American version which isn't compatible with the Canadian version. Also does the pro version have a easy way to export the general ledger? I recall this future being locked to the high tier versions with the "accountant menu" which is ridiculous. However, if it is backwards compatible this might be a alright deal. Does anyone have any other software suggestions for someone who is only looking for a general ledger without all the extra bullshit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5347 posts
759 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Rfd adviced me To go with wave apps. What difference does it make?

Will Quick book does the income taxes for company too?

What does quick book do and don't? Is it something that u keep log? Or etc?

Sorry for my newbie question. Any help is much appreciated.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101