Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] UPDATED PRICE $ 154.99 Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2018 - Accounting Software 2018 50% OFF

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 2:51 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5344 posts
758 upvotes
Mont-Royal
teddy boom wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm
QuickBooks Pro does inventory management, but for my business it doesn't really help. Since I'm sole prop, and my inventory is pretty chaotic (many times I'll only ever get 1 piece of a thing I sell), managing inventory on a spreadsheet was better. I could just put a line for every purchase during the year, mark the line as sold, in inventory, or thrown away.. Now with Quick Books I have a bunch of non-inventory items to catch the one offs, but I can't easily track the value.

Of course I also have regular items, and the inventory tracking for those items is pretty useful. Quick Books does a great job there. Tells you to order more if you want it to, keeps track of the average price. I'm not sure if Pro allows multiple pricing tiers (like this is a bulk customer, so they get a discount, vs. one off customers paying full retail), but I think it might.

The fact QB keeps track of outstanding invoices is good too of course. I have a couple right now that I might forget if I didn't have it automated..

For really small business, and really unique business structures, it isn't so great..
What about a pharmacy?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Sep 14, 2009
867 posts
293 upvotes
Halifax
teddy boom wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm
QuickBooks Pro does inventory management, but for my business it doesn't really help. Since I'm sole prop, and my inventory is pretty chaotic (many times I'll only ever get 1 piece of a thing I sell), managing inventory on a spreadsheet was better. I could just put a line for every purchase during the year, mark the line as sold, in inventory, or thrown away.. Now with Quick Books I have a bunch of non-inventory items to catch the one offs, but I can't easily track the value.

Of course I also have regular items, and the inventory tracking for those items is pretty useful. Quick Books does a great job there. Tells you to order more if you want it to, keeps track of the average price. I'm not sure if Pro allows multiple pricing tiers (like this is a bulk customer, so they get a discount, vs. one off customers paying full retail), but I think it might.

The fact QB keeps track of outstanding invoices is good too of course. I have a couple right now that I might forget if I didn't have it automated..

For really small business, and really unique business structures, it isn't so great..

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm looking for something that's better than Google Sheets for my eBay stuff. I track original purchase date, purchase price, sold price, etc. I guess I will just keep with that for now.
Nov 30, 2002
499 posts
26 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
sonician wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm looking for something that's better than Google Sheets for my eBay stuff. I track original purchase date, purchase price, sold price, etc. I guess I will just keep with that for now.
Ya, if you have mostly unique items, like many eBay sellers, it is not helpful. How it works is, you have an Item List. When you buy something new, you create a new Item. Then, when you make a receipt or invoice you choose the Item from the Item List. If the list is full of items sold 2 years ago, it becomes much less useful. Of course you can go in and make items inactive, but that's extra work. I've sometimes added items when I had 10 pieces of them, but even that's silly, you have to be selling a couple of dozen before it is worth the bother.
Oct 8, 2005
673 posts
2 upvotes
is anyone running this on a mac with bootcamp/parallels windows installed? Ive switch from windows to mac only, sadly finding out the business world is not that "mac friendly". I need this software in my life and not a fan of subscription models. At this price its a great pick up imo.
Jul 3, 2017
381 posts
210 upvotes
If you are just starting off with small business accounting, you might want to do some reading in the RFD Small Business forum.

This is a good price for the package for 2018, although it usually gets cheaper later in the year. We usually wait for a sale and buy from Staples in order to use a coupon.

Quickbooks is a good choice for those experienced with traditional double-entry bookkeeping. It's not expensive compared to big business accounting, but be warned that Intuit is expert at milking you for money. You have to either choose the desktop version, pay for support, and buy a new copy every 4 years as they make it obsolete, or subscribe to the online version for a monthly fee.

There are cheap (Freshbooks) or free (Wave) online accounting alternatives, but they take some non-traditional shortcuts that might not be right for your business.

It's convenient to have payroll integrated with your accounting if you have employees, but other services like Payment Evolution provide a cheap and effective payroll alternative.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1401 posts
119 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 7:58 pm
This is a good price for the package for 2018, although it usually gets cheaper later in the year. We usually wait for a sale and buy from Staples in order to use a coupon.
Do you mean later in 2018 or later in 2017? How much cheaper does it typically get?
adamm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5344 posts
758 upvotes
Mont-Royal
does the coupon at costco 20$ masterpass works?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Oct 8, 2011
280 posts
731 upvotes
Sorry for the stupid question but is this software something you have to renew every year or can I keep using the 2018 version in 2020?
Jul 3, 2017
381 posts
210 upvotes
adamm wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 1:26 am
Do you mean later in 2018 or later in 2017? How much cheaper does it typically get?
The "2018" version will be current until late next year. Checking our records, the last one we bought was Quickbooks Pro 2015, which was on sale in June 2015 for $129, minus $10 coupon at Staples = $119.

phoreoneone wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 2:47 am
Sorry for the stupid question but is this software something you have to renew every year or can I keep using the 2018 version in 2020?
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the desktop version does not expire, and you can keep using it as long as you want. But obviously that wouldn't make a very good business model for Intuit, so in fact they start pushing you to replace your copy after 4 years by dropping support, not allowing you to obtain updated tax tables etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1401 posts
119 upvotes
Seems as though Amazon dropped the price even further. It’s now $154 even cheaper than Costco. And Costco is showing that it’s not available anymore.
adamm
[OP]
Mar 28, 2011
85 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
CDN$ 154.99 - I called them and received $20 back
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8957 posts
751 upvotes
GTA
I am running Simply Accounting 2007 still for a small business. It does what we need to but wondering if there have been big improvements or things that would make it worth while to switch to Intuit and update. Has anyone gone from Simply (now called Sage 50) over to Quickbooks?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5344 posts
758 upvotes
Mont-Royal
adamm wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 8:25 pm
Seems as though Amazon dropped the price even further. It’s now $154 even cheaper than Costco. And Costco is showing that it’s not available anymore.
bought the same price at costco , digital version, which i think its same without cd..
used the 25$ masterpass, 4x aeroplan and 2% executive member..

my only concern is maybe u can install the cd on 2 computers while the download requires an internet activation?
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1401 posts
119 upvotes
L4cky wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:17 am
my only concern is maybe u can install the cd on 2 computers while the download requires an internet activation?
As far as I know there should be no difference between the CD and digital download. The installation and activation should be identical.
adamm