Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon] Amazon Fire TV 4K (3rd Gen.) - $49.99 (USD)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 12:28 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1582 posts
368 upvotes
davyJones33 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:15 pm
amazon's hardware is great, their locked in eco system is terrible though, the main screen for their firetvs is littered with their ads and as far as I know theres very little you can do to turn off the junk. Even trying to get it to auto boot into kodi, plex or netflix is a pain.
+1

This is why I dumped all my FireTVs and bought Mi Boxes instead. Indeed their hardware is better than the Mi Box, but I couldn't deal with the rest of the garbage.
Also, Mi Box has IR in front, I can use my Harmony 650 with it; for me that is important, I had to hang off a USB IR received on the FireTVs for universal remote usage.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1189 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
This Amazon Fire TV uses WIFI ..... I am wondering it is better to have it LAN port (I know it come with extra accessories but this is extra) .. how is WIFI general with *any* tv box? I alway use TV Box with a network lan port.

Thanks.
Mar 12, 2016
962 posts
303 upvotes
Does it better than chromecase? I have chromecase already, should I need to change?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8052 posts
3804 upvotes
All the recent reviews for this thing are not promising.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1582 posts
368 upvotes
jurassic98 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:26 pm
This Amazon Fire TV uses WIFI ..... I am wondering it is better to have it LAN port (I know it come with extra accessories but this is extra) .. how is WIFI general with *any* tv box? I alway use TV Box with a network lan port.

Thanks.
Fire TV boxes all have are wired ports, only the fire TV stick has wifi only. Also, the mi box has no hard wired port, but a USB dongle works great, which is what I did for all of them
Sep 2, 2016
165 posts
55 upvotes
Same price at target. Saved an extra 5% using my red card and free shipping since I’m currently in the USA.
Sep 7, 2006
492 posts
122 upvotes
davyJones33 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:15 pm
amazon's hardware is great, their locked in eco system is terrible though, the main screen for their firetvs is littered with their ads and as far as I know theres very little you can do to turn off the junk. Even trying to get it to auto boot into kodi, plex or netflix is a pain.
The xiaomi box is just as annoying. I own both the mi box and the mi box 3 enhanced edition and i prefer the native chinese box vs this international piece of crap. Im considering to replace the mibox for this
Dec 30, 2012
824 posts
293 upvotes
Burlington
vodka wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:48 pm

+1

This is why I dumped all my FireTVs and bought Mi Boxes instead. Indeed their hardware is better than the Mi Box, but I couldn't deal with the rest of the garbage.
Also, Mi Box has IR in front, I can use my Harmony 650 with it; for me that is important, I had to hang off a USB IR received on the FireTVs for universal remote usage.
If you are at all tech savvy go to xda developers Fire TV page and this problem can be resolved on the 2nd gen. Fire TV. I rooted my AFT2 and now have a custom home screen without the amazon-related interface. I use a Harmony 650 to control the box through CEC handshake from the TV (although there is no home button equivalent, which can be a nuisance). I use my Fire TV to watch OTA off the network, Youtube (Smart Youtube app), Kodi, movies streamed off my HTPC, Kodi, Terrariumtv, etc. It's definitely been the best 70 USD I've ever spent.
Dec 3, 2006
361 posts
131 upvotes
Craven
G77 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:06 pm
No, it does not...
Sure it does, mine works just fine after I called them and they switched my geo-location to the US. I assume you can do the same thing with a VPN.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12249 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
jurassic98 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks.
Works out fine on wifi
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
872 posts
728 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Deal is now dead, please move to expired hot deal forum.
Jan 25, 2010
52 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal, QC
yourmemory wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:58 pm
How does this compare with the Mibox? Particularly for running Kodi and iptv?
If you're running STBEmu or Perfect Player, you should be fine. But if that is all you're doing, why not just get the Canadian version?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3669 posts
520 upvotes
Windsor
Imago wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:06 am
Sure it does, mine works just fine after I called them and they switched my geo-location to the US. I assume you can do the same thing with a VPN.
Confused... Are you getting US content or Canadian?
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
872 posts
728 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
robotfood wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:18 am
If you're running STBEmu or Perfect Player, you should be fine. But if that is all you're doing, why not just get the Canadian version?
The FireStick Basic (CDN) is also an option, works for Kodi & Terrarium, but I noticed a huge difference with the extra RAM, more laggy on Firetick, FireTV is not available in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1273 posts
125 upvotes
No wonder I cannot play prime member content on my Fire TV. I used to before.. so why can't we?