Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon] Amazon Fire TV 4K (3rd Gen.) - $49.99 (USD)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 12:28 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2904 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa
Iv used Gen 2 For a over a year now , by far the best box iv ever used.

I ordered one of these gen 3 ones, Looking forward to trying it out!
Hello
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1584 posts
368 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:36 pm
If you are at all tech savvy go to xda developers Fire TV page and this problem can be resolved on the 2nd gen. Fire TV. I rooted my AFT2 and now have a custom home screen without the amazon-related interface. I use a Harmony 650 to control the box through CEC handshake from the TV (although there is no home button equivalent, which can be a nuisance). I use my Fire TV to watch OTA off the network, Youtube (Smart Youtube app), Kodi, movies streamed off my HTPC, Kodi, Terrariumtv, etc. It's definitely been the best 70 USD I've ever spent.
I am tech savvy but this is just too much bother for a variety of reasons, just too much work to get it to do what the MiBox does right out of the box.. :)

I do have a v2 ( I don't use too often) which i love because it has the SPDIF out which is missing on the v3. What's the link to this rooting you speak of and different home screen? Can it be reset back to standard after rooting? Feel free to PM me, but others may appreciate the info too on here.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1584 posts
368 upvotes
IceCreamGee wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:19 pm
The xiaomi box is just as annoying. I own both the mi box and the mi box 3 enhanced edition and i prefer the native chinese box vs this international piece of crap. Im considering to replace the mibox for this
How so? There is no content pushed, stupid ads. You can turn the "recommended stuff" off, remove what apps make recommendations, etc. Not sure what you mean, the Mi Box launcher is far cleaner..
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1227 posts
153 upvotes
ilusa wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:03 pm
Iv used Gen 2 For a over a year now , by far the best box iv ever used.

I ordered one of these gen 3 ones, Looking forward to trying it out!
Gen 2 is actually the best version. Gen 3 has slower processor than Gen 2.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3184 posts
565 upvotes
Cannot for the life of me understand why Amazon would ditch the box for this new dongle version.

Amazon Fire TV 2 4K Boxes are great.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1273 posts
125 upvotes
rinse wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:14 am
Cannot for the life of me understand why Amazon would ditch the box for this new dongle version.

Amazon Fire TV 2 4K Boxes are great.
+1 and why this box can work in 5 countries but not Canada (for prime videos)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4482 posts
2219 upvotes
Kitchener
AFTV 2 is a superior product, even just looking at it from the fact that it has USB ports. It's too bad they downgraded to the dongle, this thing is closer to a Fire Stick. I'm not that biased, I own 3 or 4 AFTV 2's and 1 AFTV 3 (which admittedly I haven't even taken out of the box yet because I can't use my K400 with it).
May 6, 2007
793 posts
1 upvote
vodka wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:48 pm
+1

This is why I dumped all my FireTVs and bought Mi Boxes instead. Indeed their hardware is better than the Mi Box, but I couldn't deal with the rest of the garbage.
Also, Mi Box has IR in front, I can use my Harmony 650 with it; for me that is important, I had to hang off a USB IR received on the FireTVs for universal remote usage.
Which MiBoxes did you get? I'm looking for a new 4k box and can't figure out which one to get these days.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1584 posts
368 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:21 pm
AFTV 2 is a superior product, even just looking at it from the fact that it has USB ports. It's too bad they downgraded to the dongle, this thing is closer to a Fire Stick. I'm not that biased, I own 3 or 4 AFTV 2's and 1 AFTV 3 (which admittedly I haven't even taken out of the box yet because I can't use my K400 with it).
Mi Box also has a USB port; however, I use it with a dongle to get wired internet to it.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4482 posts
2219 upvotes
Kitchener
vodka wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:31 pm
Mi Box also has a USB port; however, I use it with a dongle to get wired internet to it.
Yes, I've replaced most of my Fire TV 2s with Mi Boxes. Pretty happy with both.......but I'd say the Mi Box is a superior user experience and the Fire TV 2 is better hardware.
[OP]
Jan 11, 2009
875 posts
728 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
rinse wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:14 am

ummmm.... money?
1. get rid of Ethernet port
2. get rid of the USB port
3. get rid of the expandable storage
4. get rid of optical audio connection
5. charge $30 USD more than the firestick

The 3rd gen FireTV is essentially a "re-designed" FireStick, you are pretty much paying $30 (USD) for an extra gig of RAM, which is why I'm sticking with my 2yr old FireTV 2nd gen, it's still a work horse, I think the only "streaming/media box" that is better is the Nvidia Shield, but it's also almost 3x the price.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3184 posts
565 upvotes
remik wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:09 pm
ummmm.... money?
1. get rid of Ethernet port
2. get rid of the USB port
3. get rid of the expandable storage
4. get rid of optical audio connection
5. charge $30 USD more than the firestick

The 3rd gen FireTV is essentially a "re-designed" FireStick, you are pretty much paying $30 (USD) for an extra gig of RAM, which is why I'm sticking with my 2yr old FireTV 2nd gen, it's still a work horse, I think the only "streaming/media box" that is better is the Nvidia Shield, but it's also almost 3x the price.
I get it, it's just an inferior product.

They lost me as a customer when it was time to upgrade, I bought two Nvidia Shield's
Jun 1, 2011
426 posts
58 upvotes
Ajax
vodka wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:50 pm
I am tech savvy but this is just too much bother for a variety of reasons, just too much work to get it to do what the MiBox does right out of the box.. :)

I do have a v2 ( I don't use too often) which i love because it has the SPDIF out which is missing on the v3. What's the link to this rooting you speak of and different home screen? Can it be reset back to standard after rooting? Feel free to PM me, but others may appreciate the info too on here.
I would appreciate the link as well. I have the MiBox and AFT V2, the hardware quality of the AFTV feels way superior than the MiBox. Having said that, the MiBox is more fun to use without the garbage adds and promotion of Amazon,which is not applicable to to us Canadians. I have the Fire TV stick as well, but very slow, pay a bit more and get a better hardware, such as the MiBox or AFTV box. The voice search function of the AFT works very well with 3rd party apps.

edit: this might be the link
link
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1584 posts
368 upvotes
Nevermind, I have a 1st gen FireTV, this is the one that has the SPDIF/Optical output.

The problem I am having with the MiBox now, is that I'm getting this " tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)" error when I run Netflix on an older TV. Neither input report HDCP back, so any time I play something, it just gives me this error; sometimes instant, sometimes is plays for 10sec and then stops. I called Neftlix, but their support line (as usual) has idiots telling my it's my connection, to reset the mi box, etc.

I'm tempted to try the 1st Gen FTV there and see if I get the same issue; chances are yes. This of course is a huge pi$$er for me, I bought the box, I pay for Neflix, why do I need to be forced to upgrade my TV. What BS.

Anyone know of a small HDMI dongle which will report back with HDCP support??

Sorry for the rant...