Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Apocalypse Now 3-Disc Full Disclosure Blu-Ray $8

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 3:38 pm
Nov 8, 2016
317 posts
439 upvotes

[Amazon.com] Apocalypse Now 3-Disc Full Disclosure Blu-Ray $8

Was poking around and I see that the 3-disc set (which includes both the original and Redux cuts of the film) is on for only 8 bucks. Pretty great price for a Blu-Ray set which is considered one of the better ones for showing off your home theatre (see review here)

Not sure if this is more or less a regular price, but thought I'd point it out. Worth a punt if you've never seen the film IMO.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1884 posts
7842 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
One of my all time favorites. "the horror....."
What's in your wallet?
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG
thanks op
Been meaning to get this film but not sure which is he most definitive blurays for it. How are the behind the scenes for this disc set? Comprehensive? a buddy of mine studied this in film school so I'd like to get schooled by the behind the making of extras. Does this have the most?
Nov 8, 2016
317 posts
439 upvotes
vrredflag wrote: thanks op
Been meaning to get this film but not sure which is he most definitive blurays for it. How are the behind the scenes for this disc set? Comprehensive? a buddy of mine studied this in film school so I'd like to get schooled by the behind the making of extras. Does this have the most?
Hit up the review link in my original post for a full list. It's got about 90% of the bonus content released to date including some of the more "important" stuff (e.g. the Hearts of Darkness documentary). "The Full Disclosure Edition Blu-ray carries over almost all of the bonus features from Paramount's Complete Dossier DVD set released in 2006, plus a few that were only found on the older separate DVDs for the theatrical and 'Redux' versions of the movie, or a bonus DVD exclusive to the now-defunct Circuit City retail chain... As far as wish list items, I would have liked to see some of the footage shot with Harvey Keitel in the Willard role, as well as more footage from the legendary 5 ½ hour workprint, bootleg copies of which have circulated in collectors' circles for decades."
Jun 8, 2008
491 posts
52 upvotes
This has been in the $8 bin at Walmart for some time.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3908 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
You'll never be able to listen to Wagner again without picturing a fleet of Hueys raining death on Charlie. :)

Thanks OP. Would be in for one if I didn't already have it.
Jan 17, 2012
126 posts
164 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks OP just bought one because why not.

Only 1 left.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1325 posts
509 upvotes
If you're feeling ambitious and a history buff, read Joseph Conrad's 1897 novelette Heart of Darkness about the Belgian Congo. It's a dense modernist mess in places, but the director Coppola used it as his script, with Martin Sheen's Willard based on Conrad's Marlow who is after Kurtz. The horror! The horror!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6134 posts
3607 upvotes
Toronto
Saw it at the Ontario Place Cinesphere (Imax) when it was first released, there were some scenes where you literally ducked. (e.g. tiger, choppers)
Home theaters have come a long way since then but will have to go a lot further to match the experience. It was a movie filmed for the big screen.

A classic film worth owing, if you are into collecting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
ROYinTO wrote: Saw it at the Ontario Place Cinesphere (Imax) when it was first released, there were some scenes where you literally ducked. (e.g. tiger, choppers)
Home theaters have come a long way since then but will have to go a lot further to match the experience. It was a movie filmed for the big screen.

A classic film worth owing, if you are into collecting.
This makes me think that using a VR headset in Cinematic mode may be an interesting experience.

I'm not an Amazon Prime member, and can't find anything else that I need in order to get to the free shipping threshold ($35).
I think I'll check those Wal-Mart bins next time I'm there.
Oct 24, 2009
193 posts
177 upvotes
Brighton, Ontario
Thanks OP. Can't wait to see this upscaled to 4k on my OLED. Your review link was one I hadn't seen before, and it was also appreciated.
Oct 9, 2011
732 posts
761 upvotes
EAST YORK
fudge_u wrote: Thanks OP... in for one. Never watched the movie before, but heard it's one of those you HAVE to see.
You absolutely have to. For me, to this day, it still remains the greatest film made about war and its horrors. It's a wild, trippy ride with some fantastic acting and some of the best directing you'll ever see on cinema.
Apr 17, 2013
127 posts
104 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
Highly recommended package. No brainer at that price. The Heart of Darkness documentary is worth the price of admission alone. What an ordeal, lol!
Mar 28, 2006
172 posts
122 upvotes
I don't buy or collect dvds at all, but I will for this. This is my "favourite" movie, in the sense I found it the most powerful experiences I ever had watching a movie. I always found it to be a venture in scarily getting close to understanding insanity. A razor's edge if you will. ;)
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18402 posts
9704 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Definitely one of the greatest movies ever made. Everyone should see it at some point. But watch the original version, the Redux version just adds unnecessary stuff which dilutes the experience. And yes, Conrad's novel Heart of Darkness was the basis for this film, and is also a great work of literature.
Nov 8, 2016
317 posts
439 upvotes
On back-order now (but still available) - I feel partly responsible lol. Successful first RFD thread!
Oct 24, 2009
193 posts
177 upvotes
Brighton, Ontario
barriecuda wrote: On back-order now (but still available) - I feel partly responsible lol. Successful first RFD thread!
Yes. My expected date: May 10 - May 16. It's okay. I'll forget all about it and then be pleasantly surprised when it arrives... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Mar 13, 2012
383 posts
220 upvotes
OTTAWA
Philbert wrote: If you're feeling ambitious and a history buff, read Joseph Conrad's 1897 novelette Heart of Darkness about the Belgian Congo. It's a dense modernist mess in places, but the director Coppola used it as his script, with Martin Sheen's Willard based on Conrad's Marlow who is after Kurtz. The horror! The horror!
my favorite book, but I don't find the story very comparable between the two formats, as both versions are very good, but at starkly different things

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)